traffic accident when traveling a long distance - covered?

happy cruzer

Hi, I am looking at travel insurance. We will be traveling by car to the cruise from N. Texas to New Orleans; we may plan to take four days and do site seeing.

The policies say they cover traffic accidents before the cruise for trip cancellation.

Are there any things to look for to make sure that any traffic accident is covered? Does the accident have to happen so many hours before the cruise?

Any ideas about car breakdowns?

I am currently thinking about using NCLs policy. Low cost of the policy is a factor, cancel for any reason, and we just need limited coverages for med and med evac.

Thanks.

I would think the most important thing to do is to make sure your dates of travel include the ENTIRE trip.

From the time you walk out and lock your front door until the time you schlep your bags back into the house.

Not just the "cruise" dates.

In general most policies will cover cancellation or interruption due to an enroute accident IF the covered trip dates match with the date of the accident. If you plan to take an early mini-vacation that is not planned by NCL, you need to make sure that your policy does not start on the cruise departure date. When you purchase the insurance you can ask how any extra days can be included in the policy before the cruise departure and if there is a premium increase.

Car breakdowns do not fall under the 'common carrier delay' provisions. It has to be a 'Documented traffic accident'.

Hi, I am looking at travel insurance. We will be traveling by car to the cruise from N. Texas to New Orleans; we may plan to take four days and do site seeing.

The policies say they cover traffic accidents before the cruise for trip cancellation.

Are there any things to look for to make sure that any traffic accident is covered? Does the accident have to happen so many hours before the cruise?

I am currently thinking about using NCLs policy. Low cost of the policy is a factor, cancel for any reason, and we just need limited coverages for med and med evac.

Thanks.

Are you concerned about the traffic accident preventing you from getting on the cruise or wanting coverage for the accident itself.

If the former I would contact the carrier that NCL uses to go over this and if the say it is covered to make sure they show you in writing.

Keith

Yes, I agree that contacting the insurer is the best for exact details. I am trying to find out what others have experienced driving. The travel accident itself would be covered by my car insurance.

There is always the possibility that you have an accident three days before your cruise say several hundred miles from home. Sure you can rent a car and make the cruise but you might prefer to postpone your cruise and take care of accident details.

I hate to narrow to one policy so early and also do not like the idea of calling many companies with my questions. So any advice is welcome to save a bit of time.

Sure you can rent a car and make the cruise but you might prefer to postpone your cruise and take care of accident details.

QUOTE]

This particular part of your question isn't going to happen.

If you or a loved one are injured and hospitalized in the accident, then the cost of the cruise might be reimbursed.

If nobody is seriously injured but you "prefer to postpone", then that is your choice. The ship still sailed. ......... Unless, of course, you purchased "Cancel for Any Reason". Then, you're only going to be reimbursed up to the max of the policy. Some are cash, most are a cruise credit, and almost all are less than 100%

Thanks.

NCL's plan covers this:

"Other Covered Events means only the following unforeseeable events or their consequences which occur while coverage is in effect under this Policy: a change in plans by you, an Immediate Family Member traveling with you, or Traveling Companion resulting from one of the following events which occurs while coverage is in effect under this Policy: (a) being directly involved in a documented traffic accident while en route to departure; (b) being hijacked, Quarantined, required to serve on a jury, or required by a court order to appear as a witness in a legal action, provided you, an Immediate Family Member traveling with you or a Traveling Companion is not: 1) a party to the legal action, or 2) appearing as a law enforcement officer; © having your Home made uninhabitable by fire, flood, volcano, earthquake, hurricane or other natural disaster; (d) your involuntary termination of employment or layoff after your effective date of coverage. You must have been continuously employed with the same employer for 1 year prior to the termination or layoff."

I would check to see if your sightseeing wandering qualifies as "en route to departure." They might decide that they don't want to extend this coverage to your pre-cruise vacation. I have no idea if they would or not but I'd want an answer to that question (in writing -- use email) before I purchased the policy if that's a concern to you.

If your car breaks down you would still have their Cancel For Any Reason benefit which gives you a future cruise credit of 75% or 90% of your penalty amount depending on what level of coverage you purchase. Better that nothing.

Thanks to everyone for the pointers. Yes, I am leaning toward the Cancel for any reason policy from NCL so that I don't get caught up in all the details of the road trip possiblities.

Third party policies have some advantages in other areas but can't touch the Cancel for any Reason part of going with the cruise line pricewise. Definitely like third party for more expensive/exotic trips.

Archived