wifi grand princess

Bustersmom

Need some help. Is there "free" wifi on the Grand? How does it work? My last cruise was 2003 so any help is very very appreciated!! My DH wants to know if he can bring his IPAD and I really do not know the answer so I knew where to go asap! This forum is the true authority and the very best place to get answers and when we cruise in Dec I will be sure and return the favor!

There is no such thing as free wifi on a cruise ship (unless of course you are staying in a suite). The cost is per minute, for slow service. I bring my iPad to act as an ebook reader.

If your husband needs to get online, he would be better off looking for an internet cafe in port.

Most cruise lines, including Princess do NOT have free wifi. Wifi is available, but it is slow and expensive. Princess offers a number of ways to pay for the internet. For all there is a $3.95 activation fee. Then you can either pay 75 cents per minute or buy a package

$55 - 100 minutes

$75 = 150

$100 = 250

$175 = 500

No refund for unused minutes.

In many ports, there are places where you can find cheap or even free internet access

The Grand Princess is equipped for wifi access to their server and internet service. We have used this from our room. So the iPAD should be able to access that service. Get instructions from the computer center (Internet Cafe) onboard ship which tell you how to log on and (important) off and what system router to connect to.

The beauty of this is you can use your own internet email, but can compose messages, trip reports, "live from Grand Princess" posts and such while offline and then spend a minimal amount of connect time to actually post this material.

Having been eligible for Captain's Circle benefits in terms of internet minutes, we have found that for cruises where we use only the Internet Cafe onboard we come close to running out of minutes, whereas using a wifi connection from our cabin we appear to have a surplus of minutes each time. Yes, the shared satellite connection is definitely slower than at home or work, but when you can timeshare other in-cabin activities with delays in internet response it doesn't seem as bad.

Archived