Assistance for Elderly Passengers at Cruise Ports

nvcruise

It is very rare. You are best if you provide your own wheelchair and push them yourself. Sometimes they will have wheelchairs available to push people but it depends on size of dock. Do have a tip available for this service.

I have MS and rent a scooter for on board and leave it on the inside of the gate for my return. This way I always have something that gets me to and from the ship to the entranceway of the port. I also have it for when the ship is moving and I can't manage walking.

When docked at various Caribbean cruise ports, is there assistance available for elderly passengers that are unable to walk great distances from the ship to local transportation? Thank you for your responses.

Once you are off of the ship, you are on your own. The crew will assist in getting off and back on but generally that is as far as their help goes. I have muscular dystrophy and also rent a scooter to use on board. I will take it off the ship and leave it inside the secure area when I can't take it on an excursion.

I would either take or rent a collapsible wheelchair to aid in mobility.

When docked at various Caribbean cruise ports, is there assistance available for elderly passengers that are unable to walk great distances from the ship to local transportation? Thank you for your responses.

Basically you are on your own. That being said start contacting the Tourist Offices for the ports you will be visiting. Most TO have a section for special needs. Also suggest hiring pvt drivers/guides. You may want to rent a travel style wheelchair-but remember that you will be pushing it yourself- unless you have a travel companion able to do so. Just remember that not all sites are wc/impaired ambulation accessible.

Have a great cruise

Carole

About how much would it cost to rent a scooter for 14 days in the Caribbean? How does one go about renting one?

Not sure of the price but you might want to call Celebrity's special services department. I would guess for 14 days it is going to be a couple hundred dollars...

From Celebrity website:

We provide complimentary wheelchair assistance for embarkation and disembarkation only.

If you would like to have a wheelchair during the cruise, we have a limited supply of wheelchairs available on our ships. Please contact our Access Department if you would like to make a reservation for a wheelchair. If you want to ensure you will have a wheelchair or scooter onboard, you are welcome to bring your own or rent one from of the companies below who will deliver it your stateroom on the ship:

CareVacations

Phone: 877-478-7827

Fax: 800-648-1116

E-mail: res@carevacations.com

On the web: CareVacations website

Special Needs at Sea

Phone: 800-513-4515

Fax: 800-513-4516

E-mail: info@specialneedsgroup.com

On the web: Special Needs at Sea website

You may bring and used wheelchairs, mobility scooters and other assistive devices onboard our ships. Due to safety regulations, Segways may not be used onboard.

Archived