Making money on board

cruisinquestions

I really think we haven't seen the beginning of "pay as you go cruising". Cruise companies need to get people on the ship, one way to do that is to be very cheap up front. It also gives people the choice to spend their money on things they want to enjoy, and not on things they don't.

Absolutely!

CNBC has a good documentary with the reporter going through many points with the repective people on board a 1 week cruise. It has been played several times, but I'm sure will be run again.

Absolutely!

CNBC has a good documentary with the reporter going through many points with the repective people on board a 1 week cruise. It has been played several times, but I'm sure will be run again.

I can't remember when I first saw that show, maybe a year ago? I know it has already been re-run a few times. I'm sure, like the mega ship building and the refurb show, this one will be repeated as well. The cruise/ship shows tend to cluster together every couple of months.

Some dear friends own a boat, they live on it. When something goes wrong, the wife says "throw a few hundred dollar bills down there, that should help" Sometimes it is a few thousand dollars.

I'm sure BruceMuzz is right on target, since he is in the business. I think the profit a cruise ship makes off us is in wine sales or corkage fees. I don't concern myself too much with it, I just enjoy the cruise.

Bruce dissected it very precisely. If you want to do your own calculations, on your next sea day just walk around the pool and count the number of DOD glasses and Beer Bottles. Now multiply by $8 (Avg price) then multiply by number of hours and days. You will realize how much beverages actually generate even with the inventory costs.

Sounds so easy, wonder why don't more money losing business the CEO just doesn't do that and return a fare better return to the shareholders :D

A cruise line CEO told me recently that with all the recent financial turmoil, he could have sold off every asset of the company, fired all his employees, put all the proceeds of the sale into government bonds, and the ridiculously low interest he would receive on the money would still be more than the profit his company made last year.

Archived