I never had a Butler, What I use he/she for?

BobandBrenda

I an considering getting the room with the butler service. Never had one. What kind of things do they do for you? Do they pack and unpack clothes? Lay out clothes for the evening? Draw a bath? Fetch food and drink? I dont know.

I need butler etiquette.

Brenda and Bob

Never heard of having a butler but maybe if you need help folding a towel, or someone to come in and tuck you in? or someone to Mess with like in Benson or like Mr. Belevedere, I wouldnt be surprise if we had some Spoon Fed CC Members that grew up with a Butler, would be cool to hear some stories.

I an considering getting the room with the butler service. Never had one. What kind of things do they do for you? Do they pack and unpack clothes? Lay out clothes for the evening? Draw a bath? Fetch food and drink? I dont know.

I need butler etiquette.

Brenda and Bob

I don't think the butler will draw your bath, but he will (if you want) assist in packing/unpacking, seeing to your laundry, dry cleaning and pressing needs, get your breakfast, serve you dinner in your cabin (course by course), get you coffees, afternoon tea, pre-dinner hors d'oeuvres and generally make your life easy.

At least I hope so, because that's what it says on X's web site and that's why I booked a Sky Suite for my first Celebrity cruise next fall..

Thanks! You answered my question. As for the person who watches too much TV regarding butlers, maybe you should put out a few dollars so your spouse can enjoy this service.

We never so rock climbing, kyaking, hiking because there are no waiters.

Brenda and Bob

Arizona

I think that later in life when Im alittle older (currently 40) I would probably get a Butler if still available when I hit my first X ship. Im sure like you said my wife would love it, as for me Im sure I would have fun with that person. But since I hardly spend anytime in my Cabin, only to Sleep/Shower/Change I cant see a reason to have one.

We asked our butler on our last Celebrity cruise if he had ever unpacked or packed for passengers and he said that he had NEVER been asked to do so in his two years as a butler. I, probably like many others, would prefer to unpack my own things so I know where they are. Even when I do, I still can't find everything.

We have experienced a Butler on Celebrity several times.

On RCI, their suites do not come with a Butler.

We sailed on RCI a few weeks ago (suite)...and we really did not think we would miss the Butler that much. Well, in reality....we did miss him...and what he does.

A Butler is your point of contact. You only have to call him. On RCI, we ended up calling up several folks...several times...with some confusion resulting. (ask three employees and get three different answers...issue) A Butler would have eliminated any confusion.

It was the "you don't know what you have, until you don't have it anymore syndrome" ! :) Personally, I think the Butler is a very nice asset to the suites on Celebrity.

IF I HAD A SUITE WITH A BUTLER, the one thing I would look forward to is having the butler make my reservations at the spa and the specialty restaurants and shore excursions for me. I understand that is one of the things they will do for you and that would be an advantage IMHO.

On one of our Celebrity cruises one of our CC members threw us a party .The Butler set up a beautiful table filled with several types of wine champagne and snacks.He also brought us drinks from the bar with the go ahead of the suite's occupant.We all had a fantastic time.

Just got back from a 12 day cruise the Galaxy and our first butler experience. We didn't use him for a lot. He did bring us coffee and juice every morning, tea/coffee and goodies in the afternoon, hors d'oeuvres in the early evening and did take care of some minor laundry requirements. The only other thing he did was make a recommendation on where best to view our transit through the Panama Canal...which was absolutely right. Never considered asking him to unpack or pack nor did he volunteer even when he came into the cabin and saw we were clearly packing. Should add we'd not wanted that service anyhow so it wasn't an issue. All in all it was OK but really not much more service than I gotten from a good room stewart. The biggest difference was that we could set things up once with him and he'd repeat the service every day afterwards without being reminded or asked again.

I've got my fire suit on so I'm ready for the flames,lol. We just returned and had a butler. We had dinner in our room 1 time. Other than having him serve our dinner I don't feel he did anything any diff. than a room stu. The afternoon canapes are just ok. We usually never ate them. If you really waqnt something to eat in your room there is room service anyway. The butler would set your table up for you when you had breakfast in your room. Big deal they room service people will bring the same stuff and you can set up your own table. In my opinion it's a whole lot about nothing. I would rather see them get rid of butler service and have a corcierge club for those elite guests, which I truly liked better on RCL.

In my opinion it's a whole lot about nothing. I would rather see them get rid of butler service and have a corcierge club for those elite guests, which I truly liked better on RCL.

I cannot speak to the butler on X but I do agree that the Concierge Club was just wonderful on RCI! Every request was handled promtly and courteously. We had breakfast there each morning and wine before dinner in the evenings. It was a beautiful room and I sometimes went in just to enjoy the view and the peace and quiet.

I am spoiled for certain!

We got off the Horizon yesterday and had a wonderful butler tending to our suite. There are only two of them on the Horizon--one for each side of the ship.

I also asked our butler how much packing and unpacking he has been asked to do and he said that he has only had two requests for this for the several contracts that he has served on Celebrity. He said that the request came from elderly passengers who had trouble even lifting a pair of shoes.

We used our butler for a few things in addition to the regular stuff:

1. Our suite did not have a clock and so we asked for and received a desk clock from our butler.

2. I asked for a tape measure which he was able to borrow from maintenance.

3. Our butler made our alternative dining room reservations for us.

4. He helped my wife stow all the luggage under the beds (the bed frames had to be lifted to slide the luggage underneath).

5. At our request he left two desserts chosen from the main dining room menu in our suite every night at 9pm.

6. He took care of getting a button sewn back on my son's dress pants.

Have never had one but think it's great for elderly/disabled passengers who require a few extras. We never are around our room in the daytime to take advantage of in-room services. We prefer privacy and have no desire to have someone in and our of our room to do things for us. It's just the way we are but not everybody has this preference and that is why Celebrity created butlers!

Our butler on Mercury was our go-to guy. He ran interference for us with the concierge when we had to contact our privately-arranged shore excursion provider because of a schedule change, took stuff down to the front desk for us, got a power strip for us, was our contact point for everything. For the shore excursion arrangements he coordinated with other passengers we were going with, took them notes, etc. tracked me down at the pool and the gym to keep me up-to-date on what was going on, etc. It was like having a private concierge. Of course he brought the tea & dessert cart every afternoon in addition to the canapes, took care of the laundry and a few other special requests that I can't recall.

-On our last trip we told our butler that we liked Champagne each day at 5--It was ALWAYS there!

-We asked for a few flowers every few days--They were AlWAYS there!

-He brought and snack items we requested very quickly.

-He had Dear Husbands shoes shined and my dresses pressed when we needed the jobs done.

-I'd much rather pack & unpack myself, but It's nice to know you could ask for help.

I have never had one, but I don't see the point. Maybe they are nice, but it seems you can get the same service in other ways.

You don't need to take a cruise ship to get to St. Thomas, either - but it sure is more pleasant than flying!:rolleyes:

I asked our dining room waiter if I could have chocolate ice cream after dinner each evening and he told me that it was NOT available. I mentioned that to our butler and each evening when I returned from dinner. in came a silver dish full of chocolate ice cream.

Sounds like i had butlers and didn't know it. 16 cruises i called them cabin attendents. Always had everything my little heart desired and didnt have to pay a nickel extra. sounds redundant Cabin attendent and Butler sharing the same job

Archived