Single considering World Cruise segment on QE

AnneS

I'm thinking of cruising from NY to Australia on the QE in January, but am very hesitant for a number of reasons. First, I took a short cruise on the QM2 a few years ago, and did not like the ship. Compared to Crystal, and even to Holland America, Cunard offered dramatically inferior food, service and entertainment. And mealtime was a chaotic failure in crowd control. I'm wondering if Cunard was lax on that short cruise and would be more attentive to quality on longer voyages. Second, I'm traveling solo, and wonder how many other singles I'll find on the QE. This voyage would be a great splurge for me, since I'm far from wealthy, and I don't want to spend all that money and then be unhappy for 41 days. On the other hand, while the itinerary isn't perfect, it's very exciting. So I'd appreciate hearing advice from people more familiar with Cunard.

Short cruises are notorious for their poor reviews - I don't know why Cunard keep doing them! Reviews from longer cruises are generally much more favourable, You'll also find Queen Elizabeth smaller than QM2 - some people like the greater sense of intimacy. There will also likely be quite a few solo travellers on the World Cruise - they arrange get togethers for them too. Another great boon of longer voyages is you can get to know your dining companions better - which, of course can be good or bad!

I'm thinking of cruising from NY to Australia on the QE in January, but am very hesitant for a number of reasons. First, I took a short cruise on the QM2 a few years ago, and did not like the ship. Compared to Crystal, and even to Holland America, Cunard offered dramatically inferior food, service and entertainment. And mealtime was a chaotic failure in crowd control. I'm wondering if Cunard was lax on that short cruise and would be more attentive to quality on longer voyages. Second, I'm traveling solo, and wonder how many other singles I'll find on the QE. This voyage would be a great splurge for me, since I'm far from wealthy, and I don't want to spend all that money and then be unhappy for 41 days. On the other hand, while the itinerary isn't perfect, it's very exciting. So I'd appreciate hearing advice from people more familiar with Cunard.

I am planning on doing a world cruise on either Cunard or P&O in 2014 or 2015. I, too, will be going solo so I have some of the same concerns. When you are paying so much (I've been saving for 15 years) and then the single supplement added on, you want everything perfect. I've read on some other boards that there are a number of single travelers.

I've also read that experiences on the same cruise vary widely. I was reading posts earlier where some people thought the food was lackluster and service worse while others found everything perfect. It's hard to tell what people expect and how they react. I try to read the reviews with a grain of salt!

Kathi

Let me take a stab at this. I've done segments of both Crystal and Cunard (QV) World cruises, although not nearly as long as what you're contemplating. I've greatly enjoyed both. I've travelled Crystal, Cunard, and HAL in the past year and while I clearly prefer Crystal have always enjoyed my time on Cunard. I believe QM2 is very well suited to the mission of transatlantic service but less well for the routine functions of a cruise ship. QE and QV are larger than what I realy like but think they are at least as good as other ships their size. While HAL has some advantages over Cunard, in general I would rate Cunard higher than HAL in the things that most matter to me.

A few months ago, I posted a comparison as I see it between Crystal and Cunard:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=26757351&postcount=11

You should probably consider that comparison both on it's own and in the context of the greater thread.

My QV World Cruise segment was combined with a Pacific Crossing on the Symphony which left me with a bit of an abrupt service shock with only a 3 night break between the 2 lines, and I really had to take each for what it was and try a little extra harder not to compare, but had a great time. I reported on that trip on this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1134522

The Cunard portion of the journey begins with post #49.

If you say a little about what your favorite and least favorite things are about Crystal, I might have some additional insights.

My one concern is that 41 days is a BIG commitment, but I think you'll be fine. Recently keith1010 said something like "If you look for a great cruise you'll have one and if you look for mysery you'll find it". I think that applies here.

Roy

In response to Roy, what I like most about Crystal (and I think the Serenity is a notch above the Symphony) are the fine food and attentive service in the MDR for dinner; the quiet and excellent late breakfast and lunch at the outdoor grill; the wonderful singer-pianist in the Avenue Saloon; the welcome mat for singles; beautiful and bountiful offerings at afternoon tea; peaceful, uncrowded places to sit on deck; an understated ship with a classy, not glitzy design; a pleasant, seemingly happy crew; and sophisticated fellow travelers of more than one age group.

A couple of my bad memories of the QM2: At the terribly crowded breakfast buffet, I could never find an empty table, and when offerings like fresh fruit ran out, they were not replaced. In the room that was the equivalent of the Avenue Saloon, the singer-pianist said he'd been with Cunard for 30 years -- and sure enough, he sounded like a burnout case who couldn't care less about pleasing his audience. Listening to him was actually a depressing experience.

Cunard is a mass-market line and is good at catering to such a market. It sounds as if you prefer the more up-market lines such as Crystal. If so, then it would be dangerous to spend your money on Cunard with a high chance of disappointment.

For what it's worth, if I had cancelled my transatlantic crossing, based on some of the reviews and opinions expressed here, then I would have missed out on what turned out to be an amazing experience.

I've been having a read of some of the other cruise line threads. It turns out that there are people complaining about every cruise line. Right now, somewhere on a cruise ship, someone is dissatisfied with something or someone.

Having sailed on Cunard, many of them as a solo, I have to say it was not the best experience. Whilst I love the ships and service, I have been happier and better catered for with P&O, despite the lack of dance hosts. I find the crew and passengers friendlier towards solo travellers.

Note to Louise (and to myself): Although I love the luxury-line experience of being pampered (who doesn't or wouldn't?), I have very much enjoyed cruises I've taken on HAL's Eurodam (the Noordam not so much). So, while I completely avoid lines like Norwegian and Royal Caribbean, I think I could enjoy a well-delivered, unfrenzied "mass-market" experience.

I haven’t yet been on QE (either 6/12 or 4/13) but I believe it is quite similar to QV and quite different from QM2. QE and QV are a pretty similar design to the current Eurodam and Noordam, if you’ve sailed HAL recently.

Dining room service can vary from cruise to cruise. Crystal’s is definitely more attentive, but I haven;t found much difference overall between HAL and Cunard. If you could spring for the Britannia Club, you could expect more better service but I’m not sure I’d want to suggest that. The Lido on QE/QV is more like the Lido design on HAL ships, and service probably generally about the same. It is near the stern, much like Crystal’s, and with both Crystal and QV I have a real fondness for the outside tables on the stern. There is a nice grill at the back, no match for the Trident (or Tastes) but I’ve enjoyed it at lunch (for both Crystal and QV I would get a sandwich at the grill and supplement it with something from the Lido itself). Unfortunately, Cunard’s pool grill is not open for breakfast. I think Lido seating is somewhat more plentiful on QV than on QM2, although I’ve never had a real problem on either.

Pianists are likely a matter of personal choice, but hopefully you’ll get some opinions on QE. I’m a pretty independent solo, and haven’t really seen a lot of difference in the way things work for solos between HAL and Cunard.

I THINK you’d enjoy your voyage, but it is an awfully big commitment. There should be other equally good itineraries. You might be better off trying a 10-15 day voyage on QV or QE first to see how you like it.

Try this comparision....

QUEEN ELIZABETH... 40 nights Southampton to Auckland Jan 2012

C3 grade cabin. (Single) 10,051 pounds + US$ 250 OB credit

OR

SAGA RUBY 50 nights Southampton to Sydney Jan 2012

Standard Outside Single (Yes they sell single cabins)

9,004 pounds.

Includes return air fare.

All gratuities

300 pounds On Board credit

Includes all visas

QE... 2,000 passengers. RUBY... 500 (and single sitting dining!)

I know which one I would rather do.

Stephen

(Sitting in my Southampton hotel looking at Saga Ruby berthed at City Terminal.... we sail at 1600 for 31 days to the West Indies.)

I certainly agree with the postings advising caution in your expectations. It is a long time if you are unhappy with your choice. So please do your home work, compare where you can go and on which ship, and of course the cost.

Some reviews laud a cruise line to the skies, others put the same line in the toilet-read them ALL for the line you select.

One thing I would add, being a "segment " person is not the same as being a "World Cruiser" you will not be treated the same. You could for instance go into Queens Room/Commodore Club and find a section roped off only for World Cruisers, enjoying a mid morning event with all the trimmings. You as a segment passengers are not allowed to join them.

Can World Cruisers be "snobbish" , yes, on one cruise where I was doing 40 days, I asked a couple if I might sit at their table, they asked "you have no World cruiser badge , are you a World Cruiser?when I replied I was not, they said "Then you may NOT share our table"

Not everyone is so nasty but it does happen, and as a solo passenger can be very upsetting

I do hope that you find something suitable. you have planned and dreamed for so long, may yourcruise,wherever it takes you "WONDERFUL"

One thing I would add, being a "segment " person is not the same as being a "World Cruiser" you will not be treated the same. You could for instance go into Queens Room/Commodore Club and find a section roped off only for World Cruisers, enjoying a mid morning event with all the trimmings. You as a segment passengers are not allowed to join them.

quote]

I didn't realize there were special events for the "World Cruisers" or a special badge. Will you elaborate, please?

Kathi

Archived