Just got an email regarding the increase in gratuity

Ckrewz

It's not that people are cheap. It's that people expect a certain value for their money. It seems that with Carnival, cruisers are now getting a lot less value for their money then they did previously.

For example - the new menu- a lot of the core food items have been taken off and were placed with diner fare.

The entertainment has gone downhill. We saw the same show on the Triumph that we saw 13 months earlier on the Sensation. As for the Karaoke, they chose to host in the promenade area instead of an actual lounge on the Triumph. Probably another cost-cutting measure.

As for the gratuities - Carnival did not communicate it very well as very little notice was given prior to implementation. That is poor customer service. It is not that the employees don't deserve it, it is that Carnival handled it poorly.

We are sailing on the Victory in January. We'll see what happens. Hopefully, we won't be disappointed.

You made my point exactly, even though you do not agree with it.

Like I said if CCL raised the fares instead of the tips people would complain about that and your response is that the value has gone down?

You may think the "value" has gone down, but these people still work just as hard everyday. These workers are not the ones who decided to take away the shrimp cocktail, change the menu, keep the shows the same. I understand people complaining about the way we were "informed" or the lack there of, however, anyone complaining of the $1.50 pp per day is CHEAP .

If you go into your cruise thinking that it'll be a disappointment, you will be disappointed. Its a vacation, make of it what you wish. I cruise in 3 weeks and couldn't be more excited.

This is my first time starting a thread!!! :)

Thought I would share:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

CARNIVAL'S NEW GRATUITY GUIDELINES

November 1, 2011

Hi there!

While we're sure you're not quite packing your bags yet, we thought we'd take a moment to provide you with some important information regarding gratuities for your upcoming vacation.

After careful consideration, our gratuity guidelines will be increasing from $10.00 per person per day to $11.50 per person per day with voyages departing December 1, 2011 and onward. Guests who have pre-paid their gratuities will not be affected by this change.

While decisions like these are never easy, increases to gratuity guidelines are common with all cruise lines. In our case, we have not increased our gratuity guidelines since 2001. Additionally, this new amount will put us in line with most other cruise lines in the industry.

Our shipboard team members work very hard to provide you with top-notch service so we hope you'll agree this increase is well deserved.

Tipping, as you know, is at your discretion. So even though gratuities are automatically added to your onboard Sail & Sign account as a convenience, you are always free to adjust as you please.

We thank you for your understanding. We are committed to providing you with a fun and memorable cruise experience and look forward to welcoming you aboard!

Sincerely,

vicky_rey_signature.jpg

Vicky Rey, CTC

Vice President - Guest Services

Please do not reply to this email as it is not monitored.

Things like this always make me laugh out loud. "This puts us in line with other cruiselines". Companies always like to trot that one out when they have bad news like a job cut, no raise and so on. "Everyone else is screwing their people over so its only right that we do too". Now if NCL or RCI was to initiate a policy where cruisers were given a $25 on board credit, do you think Carnival or Hal would trot that out? Nope. Only if they absolutely had to.

Don't get me wrong, I'm ok with the tip increase. I think its the right thing to do. Carnival should have just said it was the right thing to do and drop it. Never mind this corporate bafflegab about keeping in line with other cruise lines. Gimmie a break.

You made my point exactly, even though you do not agree with it.

Like I said if CCL raised the fares instead of the tips people would complain about that and your response is that the value has gone down?

You may think the "value" has gone down, but these people still work just as hard everyday. These workers are not the ones who decided to take away the shrimp cocktail, change the menu, keep the shows the same. I understand people complaining about the way we were "informed" or the lack there of, however, anyone complaining of the $1.50 pp per day is CHEAP .

If you go into your cruise thinking that it'll be a disappointment, you will be disappointed. Its a vacation, make of it what you wish. I cruise in 3 weeks and couldn't be more excited.

sometimes, a company does release advance notice of a fare increase to drum up business, so that the extra cash feeds the coffers temporarily.

This is not their money, so boom!

but which entertainer, guest servive person, or hotel staffer works so hard that they now deserve their full salary, and then a tip on top of that, from you?

You can do as you please... ONLY if you are willing to go to the front desk while onboard and have them make "eye-rolls" at you for DARING to question the auto tip. Not to metion the possible long waits at the desk.

I will do it just to prove my point. :D

I cant believe how cheap people are...complaining about a buck fitty. You should be embarrassed for yourselves. :(

I'm not cheap and tip above 20% WHEN THE PERSON DESERVES IT! Which is usually 99% of the time.

Being cheap is not the point, it's how they went about notifying everyone.

Got this email too. $1.50 per day is not a huge deal, but I am sick and tired of getting nickel & dimed to death. IMO, This should have gone out a month before implementation. Glad I already chose pre-paid tips on all of my upcoming bookings.

It did!!!!!! The letter is dated Nov 1 and this gets implemented Dec 1.

It seems to me that no matter how it was implemented and communicated there would be complaints from some people. That is the world we live in. I actually am glad that the increase came in the form of tips going directly to the amazing staff instead of a fuel surcharge or more money for top level management. Tipping guidelines have always been a part of cruising so anyone who is annoyed by being told how much to tip should have been just as angry with the $10 as the $11.50. Aren't you still being told what to tip? Anyway, 1 month notice is acceptable by most standards.

Surprisingly, we still have not been notified via email. So I wonder how many people still have no idea of the change. If you do not frequent the travel boards, you may still be in the dark. That is why I love this place :D

You can do as you please... ONLY if you are willing to go to the front desk while onboard and have them make "eye-rolls" at you for DARING to question the auto tip. Not to metion the possible long waits at the desk.

If one is so cheap as to balk at the auto tips, be it $10 or $11.50, they deserve every eye roll they get. I'll see the eye rolls and up you a sigh or two. Hope everyone who does this has to wait 5 hours. Or more.

It's not that people are cheap. It's that people expect a certain value for their money. It seems that with Carnival, cruisers are now getting a lot less value for their money then they did previously.

For example - the new menu- a lot of the core food items have been taken off and were placed with diner fare.

The entertainment has gone downhill. We saw the same show on the Triumph that we saw 13 months earlier on the Sensation. As for the Karaoke, they chose to host in the promenade area instead of an actual lounge on the Triumph. Probably another cost-cutting measure.

As for the gratuities - Carnival did not communicate it very well as very little notice was given prior to implementation. That is poor customer service. It is not that the employees don't deserve it, it is that Carnival handled it poorly.

We are sailing on the Victory in January. We'll see what happens. Hopefully, we won't be disappointed.

For the life of me, I can't see how Carnival handled this poorly. They got it out on JH's blog, facebook, email and through PVP's immediately (and if your PVP didn't notify you they are not doing their job properly). Seems like pretty good communication to me. It just shows that you cannot please everyone.

I am in a very similar situation for an early December sailing. Our TA did not get back to me until Nov. 1 although I emailed her a couple days before trying to prepay the tips for the family members I am paying for. She said she had no idea about the changes until that morning either. She called Carnival immediately that morning but it was too late. Her very apologetic advice when she called me back was to go to the front desk as soon as we board and have the amounts adjusted back to the 10. pp per day rate. Kind of embarrassing though as we have never adjusted the auto tips on any cruise.

Are you SERIOUSLY going to do this for $21.00? $42.00 if you are a family of 4. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you cannot afford the tips, or God forbid, a whopping $21.00 increase in same, you should NOT be cruising. Period.

I agree with others who said that they could have raised them $.07, rolled it out a year from now, and people would still b*tch. It's just the way some people are. I learned a long time ago that you cannot please all the people all the time. For that matter you can hardly please anyone, ever. Just the way it is. And as the current, "It's all about me" generation grows up and older, it's going to get worse. Wait and see.

It did!!!!!! The letter is dated Nov 1 and this gets implemented Dec 1.

I think what people are talking about when they refer a months notice is this.....CCL should have given their passengers a months notice to pre pay their gratuities before the increase takes affect. Yes....the letter is dated Nov 1 BUT if you try to prepay now....you will pay the 11.50. So people are looking at it as Nov 1 is the the date it takes effect....not Dec 1.

I think what people are talking about when they refer a months notice is this.....CCL should have given their passengers a months notice to pre pay their gratuities before the increase takes affect. Yes....the letter is dated Nov 1 BUT if you try to prepay now....you will pay the 11.50. So people are looking at it as Nov 1 is the the date it takes effect....not Dec 1.

So in other words it is implemented immediately affecting cruises departing after 12/1? You get the $10 rate only if you had already pre-paid :confused: While I understand and agree with the increase, that does seem to be a bit inconsiderate.

That is correct..no notice was given at all and Nov 1st was the deadline to prepay for the $10per person per day..we cruise Dec 4th..booked over a yr ago and are paying the higher tips..would have been nice to have the new pricing before Nov 1st..all in all the STAFF does deserve a raise not the higher-ups in my opinion!

That is correct..no notice was given at all and Nov 1st was the deadline to prepay for the $10per person per day..we cruise Dec 4th..booked over a yr ago and are paying the higher tips..would have been nice to have the new pricing before Nov 1st..all in all the STAFF does deserve a raise not the higher-ups in my opinion!

The news was on CC in time to prepay your tips the day before Nov 1st. Some prepaid when they saw the warning. Some people got notice and posted it on CC. See the thread by Big D saying go prepay your tips dated Oct 31st.

The news was on CC in time to prepay your tips the day before Nov 1st. Some prepaid when they saw the warning. Some people got notice and posted it on CC. See the thread by Big D saying go prepay your tips dated Oct 31st.

posted at 5:17 pm on 10/31/11? who are you now fooling?

It's threads like this that is the main reason I never come to this site anymore. All you people do is bitch and complain. I'm sure that $10.50 over the course of a 7 day cruise will not be noticed. If it is, you probably shouldn't be dropping the grand or so for the cruise to begin with.

Where are all the threads thanking Carnival for not charging the feul surcharge? Oh yeah, forgot about that didn't you? You want to complain about having to pay $1.50 extra a day but not a word is said about the $10 a day extra you aren't paying not that oil is well over $70/barrel.

In our opinion Carnival should have raised the tips guide long ago ,when the other mainline cruise lines raised their tiping guide;).

We only sail on Carnival ships when we go to Mexico from SD or LB & we stay on the ship ;as we have been to Mexico 17 times:p . The other times we sail Calebrity or RCCL. Both those cruise lines have had the $11.50/day/pax in place for some time now;).

The cabin stewards,waiters,ass't waiters & ass't maitre'ds deserve the raise:D. It won't break any ones bank to pay $11.50 per day per pax:).

Archived