WOW! CCL ships officer states dressing up IS NOT encouraged for dinner now.

I was on the last Spirit cruise (Oct.21) and on the captains night they did not enforce any kind of dress code.(guy at the next table wore a baseball cap) On elegant night he was turned away as was some guests wearing shorts. We do the formal stuff and enjoy the others who dress in "elegant attire." I'm not offended by those who choose to dress causually, that's their business.

Kind of hard to eat mashed potatoes and meatloaf or fried chicken while dressed in a suit and tie (men) and gowns (women). I say Carnvial is just letting folks dress to fit in with what is being served with dinner, take it however you want it ;)

Actually the bow tie makes it easier even when the prime rib is doused in au jus and the baked potato was heaped with sour cream. :D

Sense there are people that want to dress up a little for dinner each night, and people that just want to relax and not dress up,

Most ships have more than one MDR, why not make one semi formal and one casual. Then make that one of the choices, Early/Late, then Semi Formal/Casual.

If they can't seperate to the rooms, make it Early is Casual and Late is Semi Formal.

Then on Formal night (or what ever it is called now) everyone will dress a little better for their time/room.

The truth of it is, we like to dress up on a cruise. I don't need to go to another cruise line because they encourage me to dress up, I just can dress up. If you don't feel dowdy then dress as you want, you won't be in a picture with me that the photographers take, unless it's at the table. So, they change the rules, I don't have to change my style.

There is a bumper sticker on the desk where i am sitting right now at work that says"respect my hustle". I'm not sure of the exact translation, but I'm thinking-you do your thing, and I'll do mine:)

And who knows maybe style will catch back on.

Just for the record...I never said "dining" required any special attire. I believe dining to be the experience of good food, atmosphere and attentive service - it has NOTHING to do with how one is dressed. ;) :D

But I don't dress up to eat at McDonalds or Burger King. My theory is we have complained so much about dressing up, that they actually have changed to MDR into a burger joint, instead of pretending it's a 5 star restaurant. Next will be plastic forks and spoons.

Wow ???? Really??? So most people on a cruise wear shorts and cool shirts all day, you really think they should go to their rooms and change to nice long pants and/or "nicer" clothes for breakfast, lunch and dinner??? Somehow their clothing choices make them less entitled to eat in the MDR??

I will continue to put my capries and t shirt with my cute sandels and eat in the MRD for breakfast and lunch.

Some of the pompous and snobbish people posting on this board really make me laugh. If you are so rich and above everyone perhaps Cunard or Crystal would be more your liking.

I say take care of your own back yard and leave others to theirs.

The comment about the workers not knowing what dressing up means really just turns my stomach, the implications that someone is below you or doesn't know anything just because they come from a country that is not yours, just horrible IMO.

Carole

Right on! :D

This horse had been beaten, slaughtered, and is now on it's way to the processing plant. If you want to dress up, dress up!!! If you want to go casual, go casual!! Carnival is changing to keep up with the times and desires of MOST of it's guests. For the poster who said the dining room waiters wouldn't know the difference, should be ashamed of themselves and I hope I'm never placed at their table, as I would make sure they know how politically offensive this statement is. I plan on dressing much more casual on my next CCL cruise and I hope those around me concentrate on their meals and not my attire, which I will assure you will be decent, clean, and NONE of their business!!! Let's bury this subject once and for all. It is now becoming ugly, and yes tiresome. I know someone will tell me to quit reading MDR attire threads....and you know what? I think I will!!! Happy cruising, and of course dressing to all!!!

But I don't dress up to eat at McDonalds or Burger King. My theory is we have complained so much about dressing up, that they actually have changed to MDR into a burger joint, instead of pretending it's a 5 star restaurant. Next will be plastic forks and spoons.

There ya go ! Might as well blame the passenger....for inferior quality.

When the food was excellent, and it was a dining experience,...people dressed up. Now if you want really good food, you have to go to the extra charge restaurants.....and that's where people dress like they used to in the MDR.

:eek: Wow....I hope not!

There are a wide variety of thoughts about dining and I understand all sides. BUT....I do think it's sad the the MDR standards have been reduced to the point that it is not much better than the buffet sometime :o. There are many "casual choices" that offer options for casual dining - I wish they would at least enforce the standards they publish as being expected in the MDR :cool:.

They still have "elegant night" - but they do not require a coat and tie, even on elegant night :o.

I too miss the old "formal night" - it was a special part of cruising. But nothing is constant - but change - and I understand that was then and this is now! ;)

Just like the fifties everyone wore a suit when they went out to a ballgame, dinner etc. Remember dressing up for church now you see anything jeans, shorts, etc. Times are always changing yes even on cruise ships and airplanes.:)

Just like the fifties everyone wore a suit when they went out to a ballgame, dinner etc. Remember dressing up for church now you see anything jeans, shorts, etc. Times are always changing yes even on cruise ships and airplanes.:)

YES!!!

I also remember when it was a "pleasure" to fly ;). LOL, not so much anymore.....:o

The husband attire consisted of swim trunks and no shirt.

Who wants to eat while staring at sweaty, hairy armpits, and a beer gut hanging over the table?

I'm with you Tapi. That's gross and would make me lose my appetite.

On second thought, loosing my appetite might save me a few pounds. :D

We have been known to skip the 2nd elegant night, simply because we didn't want to dress up again. Hmmm..... Apparently others don't let it concern them, and they just go to elegant dinner in what they wore all day. I'm as "country" as you can get, and I don't particularly enjoy dressing up. But I don't think it is acceptable to go to elegant dinner in casual clothes. I'd rather go to Lido that night than go casual in the MDR.... I just don't think it's right. But that's only my opinion, for what it's worth. And what it's worth is approximately the cost of the ink it took to type this message. LOL! :rolleyes:

There ya go ! Might as well blame the passenger....for inferior quality.

When the food was excellent, and it was a dining experience,...people dressed up. Now if you want really good food, you have to go to the extra charge restaurants.....and that's where people dress like they used to in the MDR.

That's not really the case anymore. Even at the Steakhouse - which used to be the "Speciality Restaurant" - things have become more casual.

"Resort Casual" is the term on the Steahouse reservation card that is delivered to your cabin. So slacks and collared shirt for guys and dresspants with a nice blouse or sweater is all that is expected - even in the Steakhouse. :cool:

My theory on this is if Carnival was a 5 star Cruise line it would be different. If Carnival was a 4 star Cruise line it would be different. If Carnival had 5 Star food it would be different. If Carnival had 4 star food it would be different. They are not and they dont. So let it go and move on. Geesh....

Wow..I really can not believe the tip and dress arguments..we really always come up with them here..what would we do without em..lol..steady fodder for our mills..food and service and good entertainment goes in good, better, and worse cycles even on 5 star lines I suppose...yes the world is more casual and yes on a budget line..there will maybe always be a higher learning curve of new cruisers on all subjects..tips required are so fair..if they just enforce the existing dress rules i think all would be fine or should be for a nice budget line like Carnival..I think the extra $1.50 is good too..and there are such free options to delete..unless any time dining I guess...I am getting rummy about it reading the same stuff LOL..I just think most people are somewhat decent in the dining room and there are a lot less greasy caps and jeans than one sees here at Outback steakhouse for instance......and that is only maybe 15%..so I think we are safe....Sarah

PS..I do like dressing "nicely"...just not too much when not a "elegant" night on a casual line.

My theory on this is if Carnival was a 5 star Cruise line it would be different. If Carnival was a 4 star Cruise line it would be different. If Carnival had 5 Star food it would be different. If Carnival had 4 star food it would be different. They are not and they dont. So let it go and move on. Geesh....

LOL and I love the stressed /desserts thing..:D.

I personally love that you don't "have" to dress in dresses/coat and tie. My hubby is an od country boy who does NOT like to dress up. With that said he always has because it was the guidelines ( and we follow rules because of kids, lol) so we only did the MDR 1/2 the time and buffet other nights to compromise because I DO like to dress up. NOw we can go to the MDR every night, he's ok w/ dress shorts and a dress shirt and of course dress pants/shirt and tie for formal night, just no suit coat this time around. Maybe they should make 1 DR dress up and the other Dress however, lol

I personally love that you don't "have" to dress in dresses/coat and tie. My hubby is an od country boy who does NOT like to dress up. With that said he always has because it was the guidelines ( and we follow rules because of kids, lol) so we only did the MDR 1/2 the time and buffet other nights to compromise because I DO like to dress up. NOw we can go to the MDR every night, he's ok w/ dress shorts and a dress shirt and of course dress pants/shirt and tie for formal night, just no suit coat this time around. Maybe they should make 1 DR dress up and the other Dress however, lol

I always thought the nice shorts and shirts thing was ok....nice in the tropics etc.,,,,wow I can see that was lousy not being able to get the more relaxing service for his dress preferences..smiles..Sarah

I can't really count that high, but I believe that this is probably the 10,000th thread on formal nights and people who would rather go casual.

Re hairy armpits....if they are across the table from me, I would not enjoy my meal...

is that elitism or snobbery? Depends on what your own tastes are.

How is it any different than a woman who thinks she can fit into a dress thats too small for her and the fat is overflowing under the arms or there are so many rolls she could do a commercial for Michelin tires.:eek:

Archived