WOW! CCL ships officer states dressing up IS NOT encouraged for dinner now.

And this is why Carnival is not enforcing dress codes ANYWHERE anymore. Just look in the dining room for lunch and dinner. Blue jeans and tee shirts shold never be allowed in the MDR but that is my opinion. Just another way Carnival is slidding down that hill further.

I don't agree with this statement. Lots of people's jobs require them to be dressed up and not allowing them to enjoy the benefits others do if they don't dress up on a vacation they paid good money to go on is what should not be allowed. My DH goes on vacation to relax and get away from job related stress. It's the only time he can wear casual clothing and he does not want to dress for dinner or any other event while vacationing.

If it's that important to people, they should have one dining room or section in a dining room for dress up and one for the people who are trying to get away from dressing up.

What would be even better is if people just didn't base their enjoyment on what others wear or do. In our whole week of cruising I noticed people of every dress (or Undress, depending on how you see it) in the dining room and our food and the atmosphere at our table was not affected in any way by anyone around us. The food was fantastic, the service was fantastic and we were served exactly what the family at the table behind us was (by the way, they were dressed very beautifully, even the 3 or 4 yo boy had on a sweet little suit). They were very friendly and nice and didn't seem to have their dining experience spoiled at all by being seated next to our crowd of nine in casual clothing. It is what YOU make it to be, if everyone were the same, what would you have to talk about,lol?

I like dressing up for the main dining as well, it just makes it feel more special and elegant something you don't get at home everyday. I think it should be encouraged, there are plenty of other "casual" eateries onboard especially now that they are adding the burger joint and cantina.

Oh!! I don't beleive that at all :eek:. Dining is an experience - eating is a requirement to survive ;)

Sorry, but I would have more fun "eating" with my friends and family than "dining" with a bunch of pompus arrogant patrons of an overpriced "dining" estashblishment. Does my DW and I sometimes "dine" out as you want to call it? Sure but my preference is to go where I dont have to worry if I have dressed appropriately for the people around me but not with me. :)

Sorry, but I would have more fun "eating" with my friends and family than "dining" with a bunch of pompus arrogant patrons of an overpriced "dining" estashblishment. Does my DW and I sometimes "dine" out as you want to call it? Sure but my preference is to go where I dont have to worry if I have dressed appropriately for the people around me but not with me. :)

that's your choice. sizzler and the ponderosa are in business for a reason.

Wow ???? Really??? So most people on a cruise wear shorts and cool shirts all day, you really think they should go to their rooms and change to nice long pants and/or "nicer" clothes for breakfast, lunch and dinner??? Somehow their clothing choices make them less entitled to eat in the MDR??

I will continue to put my capries and t shirt with my cute sandels and eat in the MRD for breakfast and lunch.

Some of the pompous and snobbish people posting on this board really make me laugh. If you are so rich and above everyone perhaps Cunard or Crystal would be more your liking.

I say take care of your own back yard and leave others to theirs.

The comment about the workers not knowing what dressing up means really just turns my stomach, the implications that someone is below you or doesn't know anything just because they come from a country that is not yours, just horrible IMO.

Carole

that's your choice. sizzler and the ponderosa are in business for a reason.

Yes they do and I am proud to say that I am not too arrogant to eat there if the mood strikes me, yet I am comfortable and fit in just fine at a Mortons Steak House or a Palm Restraunt as well.

Once again I appreciate the choices and atmosphere that Carnival gives me and when and if the time comes I dont enjoy the ships for whatever reason I will move on without coming on here and whining about it while I beat a dead horse as so many on this board do.

Oh!! I don't beleive that at all :eek:. Dining is an experience - eating is a requirement to survive ;)

It is an experience for YOU. Not neccesarily for everyone.

What I consider "experiences" ona cruise, or any vacation, have nothing to do with food.

Its seeing new places , meeting new people, trying things like snorkleing, swimming with sting rays , jet skiing. And enjoying it all with my friends and family.

Not sitting in a dining room in a jacket and tie .

What I consider "experiences" ona cruise, or any vacation, have nothing to do with food.

Its seeing new places , meeting new people, trying things like snorkleing, swimming with sting rays , jet skiing. And enjoying it all with my friends and family.

Well said!!!!

...and THAT is exactly why there are so many choices - on land and on a cruise!! ;) :D

Wow ???? Really??? So most people on a cruise wear shorts and cool shirts all day, you really think they should go to their rooms and change to nice long pants and/or "nicer" clothes for breakfast, lunch and dinner??? Somehow their clothing choices make them less entitled to eat in the MDR??

I will continue to put my capries and t shirt with my cute sandels and eat in the MRD for breakfast and lunch.

Some of the pompous and snobbish people posting on this board really make me laugh. If you are so rich and above everyone perhaps Cunard or Crystal would be more your liking.

The comment about the workers not knowing what dressing up means really just turns my stomach, the implications that someone is below you or doesn't know anything just because they come from a country that is not yours, just horrible IMO.

Carole

Carole , dear lady , I am so glad I didn't reply to that post when I saw it , because your reply was so much better stated than mine would have been :)

I just cannot fathom what some of these people are like to deal with in real life as a relative, neighbor , or co worker . Unbelieveable .

Once again your posts have confirmed my membership in your fan club :)

Here is the link: http://www.beyondships.com/CarnivalDream-art-HD.html

YOU really should be careful about just plucking a chunk of an article and pasting it here :eek:. It takes it out of context.... :rolleyes:

Nothing at all out of context about the quoted paragraph. YOU should be careful about taking things out of context.

I better not tell my husband. He just spend $200 on a suit so he wouldnt feel so uncomfortable on formal night. :eek:

You better not! :eek:

some people are taking the whole "I wear whatever I want" attitude a little too far. On our last cruise on the Dream, a couple was sitting not too far from us at the MDR during lunch. The husband attire consisted of swim trunks and no shirt.

That is going to far. You don't go in a dining room without a shirt on or swim trunks. :rolleyes:

I know that lunch attire is much more liberal than for dinner, but I think that common sense and courtesy should still reign. Who wants to eat while staring at sweaty, hairy armpits, and a beer gut hanging over the table?

I couldn't eat. That is disgusting. :mad:

They still have "elegant night" - but they do not require a coat and tie, even on elegant night :o.

I too miss the old "formal night" - it was a special part of cruising. But nothing is constant - but change - and I understand that was then and this is now! ;)

You really don't have to "miss" the formal night. On "Elegant" night , dress as formally as you wish and enjoy yourself. It is your vacation to enjoy the way you would like.I think you'll see that many other continue to treat Elegant Night as "Formal Night" It can still be your special part of cruising.;)

Just for the record...I never said "dining" required any special attire. I believe dining to be the experience of good food, atmosphere and attentive service - it has NOTHING to do with how one is dressed. ;) :D

You really don't have to "miss" the formal night. On "Elegant" night , dress as formally as you wish and enjoy yourself. It is your vacation to enjoy the way you would like.I think you'll see that many other continue to treat Elegant Night as "Formal Night" It can still be your special part of cruising.;)

...and we do! I was just commenting on the fact that is not like it used to be - that's all ;)

Carole

Like! :D:D:D

Just for the record...I never said "dining" required any special attire. I believe dining to be the experience of good food, atmosphere and attentive service - it has NOTHING to do with how one is dressed. ;) :D

No but you did say you couldn't believe someone could enjoy eating as much as dining, and that dining is an experience .

I was just pointing out that it is not that way for everyone and believe it or not there are some people who can just enjoy "eating" a good meal.

I can't really count that high, but I believe that this is probably the 10,000th thread on formal nights and people who would rather go casual.

Re hairy armpits....if they are across the table from me, I would not enjoy my meal...

is that elitism or snobbery? Depends on what your own tastes are.

Carole , dear lady , I am so glad I didn't reply to that post when I saw it , because your reply was so much better stated than mine would have been :)

I just cannot fathom what some of these people are like to deal with in real life as a relative, neighbor , or co worker . Unbelieveable .

Once again your posts have confirmed my membership in your fan club :)

Awwwwww thanks, we're in a mutual admiration society, or we just have a lot of the same values and thoughts. I often read your posts and say, exactly!!!

:D and I agree about dealing with some of these folks on a daily basis, I'd rather work in psych, oh wait, I DO work in psych;)

Well I don't care if you dress up or down, we are going to dress "up," for formal night.:)

Afterall, it isn't ever day/night or place where you can "look" elegant. In fact, I have been complimented by both men/women who are dressed down, and they told me how elegant I looked. I'm going to keep on trucking.........:)

What a wonderful thing these boards are. Reading these pages can really help all of us have a better cruising experience. And after reading this thread I feel compelled to step in to say thank you to all of you "I'll-do-what-I-want, and-no-one-else-matter's" people.

You have finally convinced me to give up on Carnival entirely. The next cruise I book will be on another line. You have totally convinced me that I don't belong among people who think this way. Because to me, yes it really does matter whether or not the people around me respect their fellow passengers and their hosts, enough to dress appropriately.

And no, I don't believe that just because you paid for your vacation, you can do whatever you want. What you want is NOT all that matters.

And yes I totally expect someone to change into long pants and clean up before coming to the MDR. And when they say "elegant" I expect elegant. And no, I don't believe capris or khakis can ever qualify as "elegant".

And I'm totally appalled that the shirtless fellow was even allowed to step foot into the MDR, much less be served.

So I thank you all for letting me know just how awful things have gotten on Carnival lately. I hadn't realized. At the rate things are going, I expect that soon the waiters will just toss the food into the middle of the dinning room and slam the door shut. After all it will still taste the same.

Archived