I think we are set....arriving in houston and sailing out of Galveston

murcor

I think we are set....arriving in houston and sailing out of Galveston :)

Fly into IAH Dec 29th at Noon

Super Shuttle Booked for transfers to Quality Inn and Suites Seawall for 3 nights ( I hope this is a good choice )

1 week Cruise Carnival Magic Jan 1st, 2012 :D

Super Shuttle Booked for transfers from Port of Galveston back to IAH

My 15 minute window is 11:15 AM - 11:30 AM ( flight is at 4pm )

( What time should we plan to leave the ship ?.... no later tha 10 am? )

Thinking of doing the Duck Tours or renting a Street legal Golf Cart

Any advice welcome

Thanks

4 East Coast & 4 West Coast Canadians meeting up in Galveston

Cant wait to see our family again

Murcor... We too are Canadian... but middle of the pack (Ontario).

We are on the same cruise.

We fly in late on Dec 30th, for our Jan 1st cruise on the Magic, and using Super Shuttle(exclusive van) to the Quality Suites for 2 nights, and again using Super Shuttle on January 8th, to go back to IAH. We have a 10:00am - 10:15 am pickup at the port for a 2:20 flight.

I am still trying to figure out what to do on New Years Eve. I tried to make reservations for dinner at SALTGRASS Steak House, right on Seawall Blvd, but they won't take them for New Years. There are 6 of us travelling.

Also, hoping taxi's are not hard to come by on the morning of the cruise, as we have to get to the port, and have not pre-arranged anything for that.

Do you have any Shore Excursions planned? We are going to NACHI in Cozumel, doing a tour to Dunns River Falls with Peat Taylor in Jamaica, and using Nativeway in Grand Caymen to go to see the Stingrays.

There is also an active role call for our cruise... Check it out...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1320856&page=39

KN

Thats awesome!

For NYE's we have nothing planned yet. My sister and her dh are rv'ing in that day and their friends are flying in on Dec 30th also ( in the evening ). ( All from Nova Scotia) And staying at the Quality Inn too :)

They have no children....well, they are grown children and not taking them lol

We have 2 children and our family from the west coast has two children.

While we are in Galveston we are going to be a regular tourist lol Thinking of rentings bicycles, duck tour, eating out :D our 2 full days will go fast.

Same here, we havent arranged any transportaion to the pier and will be relying on taxies or a service of some sort.......see what the hotel recommends.

As for excursions, we want to do a beach day in Cozumel. Considering Paradise Beach but havent done alot of research on it yet.

I will definately check out the roll call board, thanks.

I am still trying to figure out what to do on New Years Eve. I tried to make reservations for dinner at SALTGRASS Steak House, right on Seawall Blvd, but they won't take them for New Years. There are 6 of us travelling.

Saltgrass is pretty ordinary. Think of a Texas knockoff of Outback steakhouse.

Rudy & Paco (on the Strand, easy to get to from the Seawall) is a nice place to get a steak. I like the steakhouse inside the San Luis Resort (also on the Seawall.) Both would be more expensive than Saltgrass, but they probably wouldn't turn down your reservation, either.

My opnion is - I do not think Saltgrass is a knock off of Outback. I have eaten there numerous times and have always gotten good service and good steaks. On the other hand Outback by my house has always been iffy on service and food.

The steakhouse in the San Luis is excellent and is more expensive. The San Luis also has a New Year's Party every year so if you are wanting to eat at their steakhouse you need to make reservations soon.

Taxi's are easy to come by in Galveston. Just have your hotel call you one. I have not stayed at the Quality Inn but have heard the staff is very friendly and helpful.

Mr Snarky Pants and Nonna5

Thanks for your input.

The reason I thought Saltgrass, is because we have a wide range of appetites with us.

We have very picky eaters, and eaters who will eat anything. I liked the variety on the Saltgrass menu.

We are taking our kids, ages 16-24 and thought the San Luis Resort may have been a bit too formal. We sure don't want to drag out our formal wear on the first night of our vacation.

We are generally casual people who tend to go watch the fireworks over Niagara Falls on New Years eve, all bundled up to avoid frostbite!

We are excited to walk the Seawall and spend the day doing tourist things in Galveston on Saturday Dec 31st. It will be our 1st visit to Galveston. Even though we know we won't be in beach attire, we sure hope it is warmer than Niagara Falls.

Karen

We are generally casual people who tend to go watch the fireworks over Niagara Falls on New Years eve, all bundled up to avoid frostbite!

We are excited to walk the Seawall and spend the day doing tourist things in Galveston on Saturday Dec 31st. It will be our 1st visit to Galveston. Even though we know we won't be in beach attire, we sure hope it is warmer than Niagara Falls.

Karen

Karen,

I can promise you that Galveston will be warmer than Niagara Falls on New Year's Eve!:D However, it could be anywhere between 30 degrees (F) and 30 degrees ©!!!!!:p

Patty

Mr Snarky Pants and Nonna5

Karen

If that's the case, you will find lots of casual dining along the seawall. Reservations will be hit and miss. You could probably still get into Saltgrass without too much trouble.

Have fun!

I just spent three days in Galveston post-cruise. We did one day in Kemah on the Boardwalk, one day exploring the Strand, and one day at Moody Gardens. I highly recommend all three! Kemah may not have much open in the winter, but Moody Gardens has an aquarium, a rainforest, and 3D movies along with a bunch of other things. We took the steamboat tour of the bay, too. Lot's to do for the whole family.

The Strand was a shopping day for the most part. There was a candy/ice cream shop there that was pretty neat and had great ice cream.

We also ate at Saltgrass, and Fisherman's Wharf and both were good.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Like a few of you here we (a group of 17 - 5 families) are on the Jan. 1st sailing of the Magic. We are all from Thornhill (Toronto).

We are straggling into Houston (IAH) between the 29th and the 31st (my family of 3 arrives on the 29th). The plan was to stay in Houston near the Galleria area and on Sunday drop our rental car at Hobby Airport (as it is closer to the pier) and get on 2 Super Shuttle Vans at 11am. At the end of the crusie all 17 of us are on a 5pm flight out of IAH, we have an 11am pickup scheduled (2 Super Shuttle Vans) at the pier.

From what I have read, my 11am pick up to go to the pier, and our 11am pick up at the pier for a 5pm flight home should allow for just about any "unplanned event" and still allow us to IAH in time. - Does anyone have any comments on this?

We are not sure as to what to do for dinner on New Years Eve, I don't enjoy restaurants on NYE at home, I'm sure I won't enjoy rushed service at higher prices on vacation. We were thinking of just having a 17 person pizza party in the lobby of our hotel - does anyone have experience with NYE dinners in Houston?

We have cruised a dozen times out of Fort Lauderdale and Miami - I don't think I will want to cruise out of Galveston based on the crazy logistics of getting to and from the port.

Fort Lauderdale is great - A $20 cab ride for up to 4 people and you are at the port within 8 minutes of leaving the airport.

Let's hope Super Shuttle is as Super as they say.

If you decide on renting the street legal golf cars, be sure to check out the tree sculptures. There are three artists going around the island making sculptures from the trees that were destroyed during hurricane Ike.

Don't be afraid to strike up a conversation with any of the homeowners who have them in their yards - they will give you all sorts of history about the trees, and the island.

Here's the link to a brochure

http://www.galveston.com/treesculptures/brochure/brochure.pdf

Hi, Like a few of you here we (a group of 17 - 5 families) are on the Jan. 1st sailing of the Magic. We are all from Thornhill (Toronto).

We are straggling into Houston (IAH) between the 29th and the 31st (my family of 3 arrives on the 29th). The plan was to stay in Houston near the Galleria area and on Sunday drop our rental car at Hobby Airport (as it is closer to the pier) and get on 2 Super Shuttle Vans at 11am. At the end of the crusie all 17 of us are on a 5pm flight out of IAH, we have an 11am pickup scheduled (2 Super Shuttle Vans) at the pier.

From what I have read, my 11am pick up to go to the pier, and our 11am pick up at the pier for a 5pm flight home should allow for just about any "unplanned event" and still allow us to IAH in time. - Does anyone have any comments on this?

We are not sure as to what to do for dinner on New Years Eve, I don't enjoy restaurants on NYE at home, I'm sure I won't enjoy rushed service at higher prices on vacation. We were thinking of just having a 17 person pizza party in the lobby of our hotel - does anyone have experience with NYE dinners in Houston?

We have cruised a dozen times out of Fort Lauderdale and Miami - I don't think I will want to cruise out of Galveston based on the crazy logistics of getting to and from the port.

Fort Lauderdale is great - A $20 cab ride for up to 4 people and you are at the port within 8 minutes of leaving the airport.

Hi Thornhill -- We're in mid-town Toronto. We are on RCI's Mariner of the Seas leaving from Galveston on Jan 2nd. We were thinking of renting a car in Houston, staying 2 nights near the Galleria and then driving down to Galveston for 1 night before boarding -- leaving the car in Galveston ($35 a week - EZ Parking). Then driving back to Houston for 1 night before flying home. Can you please give me more info about the Super Shuttle -- website and prices? Thanks.

Right, there are not any good ways to get to the cruise terminal in Galveston. Luckily I live here, but I am also a limo driver and I hear this a lot. Have cruised out of Fort Lauderdale and you can even see the ships from the airport.

There are ports where ships are convenient and ports that are not.

Traveling depends on what one wants to do, but please don't blame the City of Galveston for its location.

We sailed out of Rome 5 weeks ago. The City is 1-1/2 hours to the port and tranportation is very expensive. But that is what we wanted to do as well as other travelers. The port can't get any closer to the City nor the airports closer to the cruise terminals.

The port can't get any closer to the City nor the airports closer to the cruise terminals.

They could move the port back to Houston(pasadena) like they did after Ike. I wish, as it would be a shorter drive for us

Maybe Disney or Princess will use it. Or maybe they can lure NCL back

They could move the port back to Houston(pasadena) like they did after Ike. I wish, as it would be a shorter drive for us

Maybe Disney or Princess will use it. Or maybe they can lure NCL back

Don't hold your breath! Disney and Princess are already committed to Galveston. The Bayport location is lousy - no infrastructure nearby - hotels, restaurants, tourist activities. It would be even worse than Galveston for those who fly in.

Don't hold your breath! Disney and Princess are already committed to Galveston. The Bayport location is lousy - no infrastructure nearby - hotels, restaurants, tourist activities. It would be even worse than Galveston for those who fly in.

It is Xmas time right? one can always wish? Maybe NCL will come back.

It is a shorter drive for us and closer to the airports for those that fly in. I agree there is less to do but the airports have plenty of hotels.

That was alot of taxpayer money spent on a 'Spec' cruise terminal.

Im thinking cruiselines wont use it as it will cost more fuel and more money for the pilot as well as lost revenue from booze.

Although I fully acknowledge some of the problems with the Bayport cruise terminal, I have NEVER understood the fact that many seem to dwell on the lack of tourist amenities in the area. What about the Kemah Boadwalk area, Space Center Houston/NASA, Armand Bayou Park, Baybrook Mall (for those who want/need to shop), and the numerous and varied restaurants? All of those are within a +/-15-minute drive. There are also lots of accommodations in the area - from budget motels to resorts such as South Shore Harbour. Both Galveston and Houston are within driving distances. It's far from perfect at Bayport - but I don't think lack of near-by amenities is the problem!

One must have a vehicle to go to all the places around Kemah/Clear Lake. Not so in Galveston, once here, as most of the area from 14th along the seawall and to downtown is walkable. Taxis are also readily available and affordable.

There are numerous restaurants, both downtown and along the seawall.

What would they do at Bayport with no place to walk to?

• 4 weeks later...

We too are a party of 17, sailing on 2/19. I would love to hear how things went for you, in terms of getting to and from the port. We're finding that it's less $$$$ to book thru one of the limo companies, but still haven't made any decisions. Hope you check back in when you return!!!!!

Archived