La Ramona excursion for cruisers offered by Seavis

blue_water

We just got back from the Valor 1/21/12 sailing and went to Saona Island with Seavis tours while in LaRomana. It was truly beautiful and our favorite day of the cruise! Here is a link to my review and pics of our excursion with Seavis tours. It starts at post number 198

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1501210&page=10

More pics from our tour...the first pic is Carlos (Guide), Kirsten (Alex's daughter), Alex (owner), and another team member (can't recall name). They all speak English and I believe Alex is from Netherlands and his daughter Kirsten lives in South Africa and is a biology major studying conservation and comes to Dominican Republic to help her father when she's on holiday. The second is a pic of the vans we were transported in and the third is a picture of the Seavis Tours headquarters on the beach.

DSCN3356.jpg.16ef8d65b5e1f5f2d9bb4a1b763ce548.jpg

DSCN3393.jpg.5e0f5fac741cc9c86057b16962c121da.jpg

DSCN3352.jpg.31de75f3879ecb5345d4176b105e0d9d.jpg

Hi,

Thanks so much for the awesome review of Seavis Tours! There are a bunch of CC peeps who are booked on March 13th & my DH & I decided to join in the fun! I think we will fill the boat!

Looking forward to our tour & i'll post a review after we return.. won't be till after March 19th!

Happy Sailing!

Sue

Hi,

Thanks so much for the awesome review of Seavis Tours! There are a bunch of CC peeps who are booked on March 13th & my DH & I decided to join in the fun! I think we will fill the boat!

Looking forward to our tour & i'll post a review after we return.. won't be till after March 19th!

Happy Sailing!

Sue

We have a group from here that is full too - a week after you! Enjoy and don't take all the fun - leave some for us the week after - LOL!

Hi,

Happy Sailing!

Sue

And we are the best group of them all!!! LMAO

Can't wait Sue!!! :)

• 1 month later...

I haven't seen any reports from anyone with problems getting back into the boat on the sandbar, no issues for older folks or those not in top shape? I gather you can jusp up with the water waist deep...

And it sounds like they keep you together at the Seavis office as they process you to get on a boat, are there any small shops right there you can get to quickly if there is time?

Thanks, we'll be there April 10!

On the sandbar they have you jump into the water...it's like waist deep. Then when you are to get back up they drop a small rope type ladder to get back in the boat. I'm sure they'd let you use that if you want to get into the water too...but everyone there is nice so just ask!

Not sure about the shops...I do remember the guys there selling hats and cigars being VERY pushy but I guess they do their living that way. They will continue to ask you even if you say "NO." They have an office there where you pay but hubby paid I just hung out with a few friends outside. I know they have a bathroom also...but not sure about actual shops

Sailed the 3/17/12 Miracle and was in La Romana last week. The Saona Special tour offered by Seavis was the highlight of the week!

The descriptions given on the site are all very accurate.

I think we had 4 boats go out in total, but it never felt crowded.

Francis was our guide and he was knowledgeable, funny, and cute! The buffet lunch was delicious, and the rum was free-flowing and smooth!

You could choose shade or sun on the beach and the snorkelling was good.

The absolute best part was stopping at La Piscina, getting out in waist-high water and picking up the starfish! Amazing! I will never forget it!

Back to the ship in plenty of time!

Jan

Sailed the 3/17/12 Miracle and was in La Romana last week. The Saona Special tour offered by Seavis was the highlight of the week!

Francis was our guide and he was knowledgeable, funny, and cute! The buffet lunch was delicious, and the rum was free-flowing and smooth!

The absolute best part was stopping at La Piscina, getting out in waist-high water and picking up the starfish! Amazing! I will never forget it!

Jan

Thanks Jan, appreciate your post!

Questions - do they serve rum punches or straight rum (not that I'm particular :p)?

And did Carnival shorten the time in port by 1 hour as others have mentioned?

Thanks again, we're looking forward to the Seavis tour on April 10

Thanks Jan, appreciate your post!

Questions - do they serve rum punches or straight rum (not that I'm particular :p)?

And did Carnival shorten the time in port by 1 hour as others have mentioned?

Thanks again, we're looking forward to the Seavis tour on April 10

I toured with Seavis the week of 3/10. They serve a orange drink & pour the rum into it. At the sand bar i'm sure if you want straight rum they will do that for you lol.

Carnival didn't shorten our port time. Since we sailed on EDT the local & ship time were the same. I think the shortened port time only happened for two weeks & it was only on the Valor... it was some kind of maintenence issue the Valor was having.. or something like that.

BTW the Seavis tour rocks! Carol was our guide, a captin & his helper. At the end when they ask for tips.. please make sure you give your time to the guide no the boat helper... the container will have a cover with a slit in it so you can drop it in...our boy boat helper (chocoloate was his name).. stoled some of the tips we gave.. including mine. I saw him roll it in his hand & not put it into "His" container that he was not suppose to be using... just an FYI. We had 5 boats on tour & it went perfect! Never crowded!!

Enjoy!

Sue

I get carsick but not once felt queasy on the speedboat. It is a wild ride..very fast...and I think I just didn't have time to think about it because it was so fun. Also I take bonine because on the cruiseship I do get sick if I don't. Maybe that helped, I don't know..but I never once felt like I would get sick. It was so fast I think that helped!

Jan

Everthing you said was true and I agree with you we had a BLAST! We were in boat 3 and had carol and she was soooo great!!

I have to echo everything Weezerwoo and Boxermom said. We were in Boat #1 with them and Kristen was our guide -- she happens to be the owners' daughter and was FANTASTIC! We even had a special guest on our boat - her little puppy who fell in love with my DD and sat on her lap the entire boat ride!

Seavis is well worth the money and time and it will be one of the the BEST excursions you will ever take!

• 3 weeks later...

Is it the same tour booking directly through Seavis as the tour description on the Carnival excursions website? Do both/multiple groups go out at the same time and end up at the same locations?

We'll be in La Romana in July on the Carnival Freedom...I've been doing lots of reading to pick the right excursion for me, DH & our 13 & 16 y.o. girls and my adult sister-in-law.

I read that through the ship website, the Speed Boat to Saona Island is $99. per adult.; through the Seavis website it's $65. per adult plus the $15 pp transportation. You can get a 10% discount off the $65 if you get a group of more than 12 adults directly through Seavis. (We may reach this as others on our roll call are already signed up & seeking interest from additional people)

But, before I decide which way to book, I want to do the math to make sure I understand all the details right...through Carnival our cost for 5 at $99. would be $495.00. Directly through Seavis (with the 10% discount @58.50 plus $15pp for taxi) our cost would be $367.00 for a difference of $128.00 savings. The downside is I have to carry that $367.00 (plus extra cash for tip and any spending $ at Saona) - so about $400 on my body vs. putting it on my S&S card (credit card) through the ship and not risk losing it/having it stolen. Was anyone (that's already gone on this trip) uncomfortable carrying that much cash on them? Also, is there ever a chance the direct bookings get bumped if the cruise ship excursion sells out/oversells the outing? I don't want to show up for our direct booked excursion and have problems/get turned away when we could've had the sure thing booking through the ship even if it cost more that way. What to do?

We have this booked for July. It is not the same company that does the Carnival excursion so if you have a spot you won't get bumped for that reason. All of the Seavis reviews I've read on here have been glowing. The Seavis excursion includes lunch and Carnival's doesn't, and I think Seavis stops at a few more scenic places on the way to the Island. Hopefully someone who has already been will chime in with some firsthand info for you.

Is it the same tour booking directly through Seavis as the tour description on the Carnival excursions website? Do both/multiple groups go out at the same time and end up at the same locations?

We'll be in La Romana in July on the Carnival Freedom...I've been doing lots of reading to pick the right excursion for me, DH & our 13 & 16 y.o. girls and my adult sister-in-law.

I read that through the ship website, the Speed Boat to Saona Island is $99. per adult.; through the Seavis website it's $65. per adult plus the $15 pp transportation. You can get a 10% discount off the $65 if you get a group of more than 12 adults directly through Seavis. (We may reach this as others on our roll call are already signed up & seeking interest from additional people)

But, before I decide which way to book, I want to do the math to make sure I understand all the details right...through Carnival our cost for 5 at $99. would be $495.00. Directly through Seavis (with the 10% discount @58.50 plus $15pp for taxi) our cost would be $367.00 for a difference of $128.00 savings. The downside is I have to carry that $367.00 (plus extra cash for tip and any spending $ at Saona) - so about $400 on my body vs. putting it on my S&S card (credit card) through the ship and not risk losing it/having it stolen. Was anyone (that's already gone on this trip) uncomfortable carrying that much cash on them? Also, is there ever a chance the direct bookings get bumped if the cruise ship excursion sells out/oversells the outing? I don't want to show up for our direct booked excursion and have problems/get turned away when we could've had the sure thing booking through the ship even if it cost more that way. What to do?

We have this booked for July. It is not the same company that does the Carnival excursion so if you have a spot you won't get bumped for that reason. All of the Seavis reviews I've read on here have been glowing. The Seavis excursion includes lunch and Carnival's doesn't, and I think Seavis stops at a few more scenic places on the way to the Island. Hopefully someone who has already been will chime in with some firsthand info for you.

I have (2) boats booked for our group in October! Please let us know if you went and how much you enjoyed it :-)

• 3 months later...

Just want to chime in one more time. This Seavis tour our family of 3 took last month believe the date of the tour was July 17th was one of the best tours we've ever taken. Our guide Carol was terrific and one of the other guides on one of the other boats a young man named Francis was equally as nice. The lunch when we got to Saona Island was great, the starfish sandbar stop was worth every second. Please don't hesitate to sign up with this tour company not a seconds worry about getting back to the ship on time. Only one month ago and seems like foreever since we took this wonderful tour.

I totally agree with Morebeer. We had a group of 8 with several more from our CC roll call, 3 boats total. Our cruise was in June. This was the highlight of our cruise. We all loved it including our 5 and 7 year old girls. The guides were wonderful and do everything in their power to make sure everyone is having a blast and being taken care of. I will do this tour again if I return to the DR.

Archived