Luggage tags

TootsieLou

I dont want to hijack the thread, but where do these tags come from? We sail on Emerald in 11 days (first cruise ever) and I've had no correspondence from Princess, except for email confirmation of the original booking, and an email when my GF supplied her passport info. Should I be concerned?

I dont want to hijack the thread, but where do these tags come from? We sail on Emerald in 11 days (first cruise ever) and I've had no correspondence from Princess, except for email confirmation of the original booking, and an email when my GF supplied her passport info. Should I be concerned?

You go to your online Princess Cruise Personalizer & from there you print out your luggage tags. If not, then at the pier they have generic ones to use that the porters can provide for you.

If you go onto the Princess website, log into "My Princess", select Cruise Personalizer, and there is a link on the RH side for "Print Boarding Pass & Luggage Tag".

Typically we fly about 5+ days before our trip. In that case we do not put our cruise line tags on until the day we board the ship.

If we were flying the same day as the cruise and knew we wouldn't see our luggage until we were at our stateroom, then we would tag the luggage before our travel.

If we fly the day before our cruise, we do just like we first posted.

You need to sign in to your Roll Call.

Lots of friendly folks are waiting to greet you.:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1273739

Follow VacationWhen's instructions for luggage tags and boarding pass.

We put ours in the outside pocket of each bag before leaving home, and another one on the top of the clothes in the bag so it can easily be seen by airline personnel if needed. I have brought a tiny stapler with me (school supply section of Wal-Mart) and attached them in the hotel room before leaving for the ship in the past. The stapler is so small it takes no room. However, I plan to buy some of the plastic holders before our next cruise.

Thanks for the tip about the plastic luggage tag holders. We're cruising on the Crown on Dec 3rd - so I just ordered the holders from Amazon. Great idea - I didn't know they sold them.

I would definitely NOT put them on before leaving home if I was flying to the port. We laminated ours, punched holes and then used the small plastic ties and put them IN our luggage until we were leaving the hotel on the way to port. We have used this system twice and prior to that had a $1.00 stapler that we had purchased at WalMart.

I would definitely NOT put them on before leaving home if I was flying to the port. We laminated ours, punched holes and then used the small plastic ties and put them IN our luggage until we were leaving the hotel on the way to port. We have used this system twice and prior to that had a $1.00 stapler that we had purchased at WalMart.

I agree cover tags with plastic of some kind...but...then cross your fingers.;)

Just got off a cruise, and I laminated my luggage tags. It did not help. The porters or Princess staff some how ripped the laminated tags off, two luggage tags one on handle an one on the end. I knew it was going to rain so I wanted to protect the info. on the paper. I also had those tags that come with various languages (discussed in privious posts). All my efforts didn't work, I was with out my large roller duffel bag for the first two days of the cruise. Placed extra tags in front pocket of the duffel bag. Put one inside the duffel bag. I called repeatedly for 2 days to pursers desk. At 11PM the second day I was told to come and file a written complaint. So I did described the bag like I had done all the other 6 times I was at the pursers desk. FINALLY the lady at the desk goes...just a moment please. She says come with me...you guessed it there was my suitcase. She stated it had been at the pursers desk the whole time. I showed her all the tags inside and out. She just said this should not have happened. They kept trying to blame the airlines. I said nope, I brought it onto the ship and I was standing on the balcony when it was placed onto the ship. My suitcase is a bright blue and my personal tags are florescent pink. Plus the yellow ordinary luggage tags, that was on the inside and out side of the bag. They said we'll take it to your cabin. I said no thanks...I think I'll do it myself. I asked how come NO ONE read any of the other tags stating my itinerary was in them. She just shrugged her shoulders. I got no apology either. I'd tried not to raise my voice or get angry (what good would that do). But 3000 people getting on a ship, something can happen.

Moral of the story if your bag is going to get lost or in my case misplaced no matter what you do your bags can still end up in the wrong place.

STUFF HAPPENS! I always bring the carry-onsuitcase so if needed we have enough stuff we can still enjoy the cruise if the large luggage takes it's own vacation all by itself.:eek:

Moral of the story if your bag is going to get lost or in my case misplaced no matter what you do your bags can still end up in the wrong place.

STUFF HAPPENS! I always bring the carry-onsuitcase so if needed we have enough stuff we can still enjoy the cruise if the large luggage takes it's own vacation all by itself.:eek:

Good advice whenever you travel and have to check your bags.

Thought this was interesting

Pete

What Not to Put on Luggage Tags

by Catherine Rayburn-Trobaug, Demand Media

fotolia_1594014_XS.jpg?w=440&h=440&keep_ratio=1

A luggage tag can reveal personal information to strangers.

luggage in hotel room image by Albert Lozano from Fotolia.com

If you are planning a trip, one of the last details you might think about is the luggage tag. Many people forget about them altogether and opt for the paper tags at the airline check-in while hastily scribbling their addresses and phone numbers. But this humble tag can make or break the most meticulously planned trip. While most people rarely think about luggage tags, they can tell others more than you want them to know.

Luggage Tag No-Nos

Virtually everyone within an airport can see the information written on your luggage tag so limiting the personal information while providing enough for the airline to return lost luggage is key. Most experts agree that if you can avoid listing your home address, you will be less likely to be targeted for a robbery while you are away. Try listing a work address or PO Box instead. Home phone numbers are also a bad idea, and a cell or work number will be just as useful if you lose your luggage. To avoid using a primary email address, create a free account just for use on luggage tags.

International Travel

In addition to the other pieces of advice, the US Department of State offers information about international travel. Especially in countries where there are anti-American feelings, don't put anything on the luggage tag that identifies you as a US citizen. They suggest to use tags with a flap that covers the information or turning the card around if you can't avoid identifying information.

Tips from the Experts

Seasoned travelers recommend not using a home phone number since a potential thief could use a reverse lookup website to find the corresponding address. Instead use a cell phone number which will be more advantageous if the airline is contacting you for the return of lost luggage. Although it is tempting not to put your full name on the tag for reasons of privacy, the airline can identify and contact you much faster if they can match the name on the tag to the ticket.

Just a comment on your personal luggage tags. We did a Hawaiian cruise in 2002 when 9/11 was still fresh in everyone's minds. Arriving in Honolulu 2 days early, we had our luggage with us when we went to board. Soldiers were at the terminal and we had to show our drivers license and it had to match our tags before we were allowed to enter.

Archived