Statendam - Outside Stateroom Category Question

ssolomon56

I have a question regarding Stateroom Categories.

We booked a 14-day Outside GUAR on the Statendam leaving Ft. Lauderdale on Nov 11, 2011. Yesterday I discovered that we're booked in Stateroom DH645 which is a DA category. That led me to thinking....the Statendam has approx 10 Outside Categories ranging in price from $849pp to $1599pp (price example). Why such a difference in price? I understand that worse case scenerio the $849 might be a porthole...but once you get into the regularly sized window, the price still goes steeply up.

We've been on a LOT of cruises...and this stateroom category thing still has me stumped. :confused:

Within any class of cabins (inside, outside, veranda, suite), there will be several categories ranked. HAL, most cruiselines, and many passengers value closer to mid-ship vs forward/aft, higher deck vs lower deck, larger window vs porthole, full view vs obstructed view.

All these things are taken into consideration when pricing cabins in the first place. Then, depending on how cabins are selling, prices can be adjusted for any given sailing.

I have a question regarding Stateroom Categories.

We booked a 14-day Outside GUAR on the Statendam leaving Ft. Lauderdale on Nov 11, 2011. Yesterday I discovered that we're booked in Stateroom DH645 which is a DA category. That led me to thinking....the Statendam has approx 10 Outside Categories ranging in price from $849pp to $1599pp (price example). Why such a difference in price? I understand that worse case scenerio the $849 might be a porthole...but once you get into the regularly sized window, the price still goes steeply up.

We've been on a LOT of cruises...and this stateroom category thing still has me stumped. :confused:

I am curious as to what outside category you originally booked? We booked an HH outside guarantee for the 12/9/2011 14 night Panama Canal sailing on the Statendam. Our price was $849. I am a sucker for a sale! I will be happy with any room they give me, really, but it appears that you've received a really great upgrade!

Taters

Archived