Computers in PH Suites - Marina

cinycat

Thought perhaps someone could answer this question for me. It says there is a laptop available in the Penthouse suites. Can I use that for word processing? Would I be able to download some student papers and read them (mark them). We'll be on the TA from Rome to Miami and I need to do some marking. If I can use the computer in the suite, I don't have to bring my laptop.

Thought perhaps someone could answer this question for me. It says there is a laptop available in the Penthouse suites. Can I use that for word processing? Would I be able to download some student papers and read them (mark them). We'll be on the TA from Rome to Miami and I need to do some marking. If I can use the computer in the suite, I don't have to bring my laptop.

Saw this question on another thread and the answer there was the only thing you can do with provided suite computers is access the internet from the cabin. You have to log on and then they charge tou for time used. Can not even play Solitair.

Bill Keith

The only way most passengers on Marina got wireless to work was sitting in the computer room. Our IPADS would not connect anywhere else. I tried the in room computer but had no luck connecting. So wireless is quite limited in range. Shouldn't be that way on a new ship.

The question wasn't about wireless about word processing. As to wifi, we were in a Vista, all the way to the front, and when in port I had a reasonable connection (considering the slowness of Oceania's internet) but at sea it was worse than molasses. If I needed wifi when at sea, I took my laptop up to Oceania at Sea.

As to word processing, etc., the laptop in our suite was useless. If you want to grade papers, etc., you'll have to use your own equipment. (I just left Marina two days ago.)

Mura

I immediately unplugged the laptop in my PH and stowed it in the closet as it got in the way and was completely useless. I had brought my own and had to take it to the computer room in order to get any kind of connection. This is one of Oceania's BIG faults, the outrageous costs and poor wireless service on board.

My husband brings his own laptop, calls down to the desk and has a long, long extension cord (3 pronged, I think) brought to the room. That way, he watches his DVD's, and plays his solitaire, etc. on his own computer from a comfortable chair or while reclining in bed. We go upstairs for any internet checking.

We, too, were initially disappointed with the computer in the PH suites as you can only surf the internet on it...at very high rates. We stowed it on a high shelf in the closet and used our own for word processing (I keep a daily journal on my HP), as well as for Spider Solitaire, downloading photos, etc. When we reached a port we usually had internet connection right at the dock, so could pick up email much more quickly there...and usually free. The Oceania computer guru told us that they must limit the PH computers to only internet or they would have to hire someone after each cruise to "clean out" all those computers of word processing, photos, and other downloads, and were wary of viruses that might be introduced into the ship computers. We understood that logic, and just bring our own now.

Archived