Israel Question

Cruisin D

Thanks in advance for any advice.

We have a cruise comming up in a few weeks one of our ports is Ashdod. My question is am I able to use euro or any other currency there or should I try and get some local $$ before I leave.

Cheers

The euro is widely used in Ashdod & Jerusalem and other tourist places, including taxis between the two (if you use one, barter the price to under €100 e/w).

Folk do get by with just euros, but USD is much less-widely accepted & other currencies such as AusD would be grief.

Local currency has its advantages - obviously 100% acceptability, but also avoids rip-offs on fixed-price purchases such as meals or drinks. When bartering - plenty of that in Israel - it makes no odds, shekels or euros.

Whether to have some shekels rather depends on how long you're there (?overnite?) and your plans (? ship's tours?)

JB :)

The euro is widely used in Ashdod & Jerusalem and other tourist places, including taxis between the two (if you use one, barter the price to under €100 e/w).

JB :)

You do not need to barter for the price of a taxi from Ashdod to Jerusalem. The intercity price is fixed at 291 NIS, which, at current exchange rates, is about 58 euros one way.

We did not change any currency but a small amount would have been very handy. We had arranged a private tour in Ashod and were in Jerusalem on a Sunday. We had to buy our own lunch and where we ended up, because many places were closed, was just a local sandwich place. Luckily they took credit cards but I remember wanting to buy something small in the markets but not wanting to change foreighn currency.

We did not change any currency but a small amount would have been very handy. We had arranged a private tour in Ashod and were in Jerusalem on a Sunday. We had to buy our own lunch and where we ended up, because many places were closed, was just a local sandwich place. Luckily they took credit cards but I remember wanting to buy something small in the markets but not wanting to change foreighn currency.

I think you meant you were in Jerusalem on a Saturday, and many places were closed? Sunday here is a regular work day; unless it's a holiday, everything in the new city is open. It's on Friday afternoon thru sunset Saturday that you would find most (but not all) places closed. In the Old City, on Saturday the souk (Arab market) and it's eateries are open, but in the Jewish Quarter everything is closed.

[Just wanted to clarify so that others will know what to expect!]

I strongly suggest to minimize paying in Euros and having local currency (shekels). US dollars are more accepted but still you can expect to have less favorable exchange rate (and sometimes significantly). Nearly all places accept credit cards.

I strongly suggest to minimize paying in Euros and having local currency (shekels). US dollars are more accepted but still you can expect to have less favorable exchange rate (and sometimes significantly). Nearly all places accept credit cards.

I agree. While you can use the other currencies you'll do better with the local currency.

Keith

Thanks everyone for the great info, we are doing shore tours from the ship. Jerusalem & Bethlahem on day one and the Dead Sea on the second day, I know they are going to be huge days but can't wait.

I think I might just use Euro and then Shekles when I get some in change, I have had some issues getting Shekles so I will wait until I get there.

Are there any special little souvenirs that I should look out for??

Thanks again.

Cheers

I think you meant you were in Jerusalem on a Saturday, and many places were closed? Sunday here is a regular work day; unless it's a holiday, everything in the new city is open. It's on Friday afternoon thru sunset Saturday that you would find most (but not all) places closed. In the Old City, on Saturday the souk (Arab market) and it's eateries are open, but in the Jewish Quarter everything is closed.

[Just wanted to clarify so that others will know what to expect!]

Actually we were in Jerusalem on a Sunday, with a private Jewish guide. I think he had wanted to take us to a pizza restaurant and was surprised himself that it and others nearby were closed. He said that he had forgotten that it was Sunday. We had left it up to him to find a place for a quick meal as we didn't want to spend our very limited time eating!

Actually we were in Jerusalem on a Sunday, with a private Jewish guide. I think he had wanted to take us to a pizza restaurant and was surprised himself that it and others nearby were closed. He said that he had forgotten that it was Sunday. We had left it up to him to find a place for a quick meal as we didn't want to spend our very limited time eating!

The only thing I can think of is that it was a holiday. Otherwise, Sunday is a regular work day here. It's one of many culture adjustments faced by new immigrants.

• 2 weeks later...
We used US dollars except after we got some change we used shekles. It probably depends on how much shopping you plan to do and where. We also paid our guide in US dollars.

How would you feel if you were a tour guide in the United States and someone paid you in shekles?:rolleyes:

Well, to spring to the defence of Americans,(and I am Australian), the $US is the world's default currency and accepted very widely. When the world's economic indicators are bad, our Aussie dollar goes down against the $US, even though our economy is going well. It has just dropped almost 10% in the past few weeks because of the trouble in Europe and the US. So I could sell my remaining American dollars back for a nice profit at the moment. Traders in many countries do just that. But a bit of local currrency does come in handy and we were able to get it on the ship.

How would you feel if you were a tour guide in the United States and someone paid you in shekles?:rolleyes:

I would be happy with shekels if that's how I asked to be paid. Many Israeli tour guides quote their prices in USD and write it that way in their contracts.

I would be happy with shekels if that's how I asked to be paid. Many Israeli tour guides quote their prices in USD and write it that way in their contracts.

I agree... Just came back from Holy Land cruise. We paid our tour guide in USD since that was the currency we were quoted in our contract. Tried exchanging shekels on the X Constellation and they didn't even carry them. We were told the $$ is accepted everywhere. I have to exchange shekel paper money from the vendor since I collect currencies from different countries.

Archived