traveling with CPAP machine

GAJE

However, on my last Celebrity cruise, the staff refused to give me an extension cord due to a perceived safety issue.

As if NOT breathing while you sleep isn't a "safety issue"? :eek:

It is to laugh. :rolleyes:

I usually bring my own extension cord for my CPAP but forgot it last year when I was on the Veendam. I told my cabin steward and had one delivered within the hour, no problem what so ever. I am with Ruth C on this. I would think they would find the extension cord less of a safety hazard than finding my dead body in the bed some morning.

Usually, a phone call to housekeeping would resolve the issue by giving me an extension cord. However, on my last Celebrity cruise, the staff refused to give me an extension cord due to a perceived safety issue. I had to please my case right through to the officers to have one delivered. Even the customer service desk was of no help.

I always travel with extension cords of 2 different lengths. Better safe than sorry.

I've always checked my CPAP in a very well protected suitcase. with more than 100 business trips and vacations, I've never had an issue (touch wood). Actually, my biggest problem on most ships is finding an outlet where I could plug it in. Frequently, there are no usable outlets near the bed. Usually, a phone call to housekeeping would resolve the issue by giving me an extension cord. However, on my last Celebrity cruise, the staff refused to give me an extension cord due to a perceived safety issue. I had to please my case right through to the officers to have one delivered. Even the customer service desk was of no help.

Good grief! Reminds me of a stay at the Disneyland Hotel a few years ago. We returned to our room very late the last night, and the kids just passed out. THEN I found a note about how the power was going to be shut down from 2am-5am for 'repairs'. I called the front desk to ask them how I was supposed to use my CPAP. She had no idea what it was. She about had a heart attack when I told her it was a breathing machine! (Rudimentary, but most people don't want to listen to the actual explanation.) They offered to move us. "Uuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhh...the kids are ASLEEP. It's 1am!!!" Then she offered (and I still can't believe this) A GASOLINE POWERED GENERATOR! "No, thank you. I really prefer to not kill my entire family by carbon monoxide." I told her I'd take my chances on dying of natural causes. :D

People who don't have to rely on one just have no idea. None whatsoever.

Robin

Edited to add: We always have our own 25-foot extension cord in the CPAP bag. Plug placement can also be iffy in hotels.

Edited by Robin7

On the Nieuw Amsterdam my boyfriend was able to run the extention cord behind the bed along the wall and to the plug on the desk area. No tripping in the stateroom. Not sure what ship you were on but I thought they were all similarly laid out. Ours might have been different because we had an HC that trip perhaps.

On Celebrity they provided not only the extention but also distilled water at no extra charge. I was surprised, as I knew HAL charged for the distilled water.

Royal Caribbean also provides an extension and a large bottle of distilled water, free of charge. And they duct-taped the extension to the floor so no one tripped over it.

• 3 years later...
Don't forget you can pre order distilled water from HAL and for $4 a large bottle will be waiting in your cabin.

Due to the outrageous airfares out of Knoxville we drive to Florida cruse ports more often than flying. This involves two days down and two days back with a total of four overnight stays in hotels. A one liter bottle of CPAP water from the grocery store is adequate. We have also carried a factory sealed bottle of this water on airplanes with no problem since it falls under the category of medically required liquids.

My wife's CPAP carry case always contains a 12 foot two-prong extension cord and a three-prong cube tap. The extension cord is needed in some hotel rooms and cruise ship cabins. A cube tap allows leaving the CPAP plugged in and a provides a place to plug in a curling iron. We have not needed the extension cord in HAL's Signature Suites but it was required in an outside cabin on the Ryndam and in several hotel rooms.

Most travelers whether by plane or ship will strongly advise against placing your meds or CPAP in checked bags. Our CPAP case fits nicely in a wheeled carryon bag taking up roughly one-fourth of the bag's capacity. This leaves plenty of room for two weeks of medications, a couple changes of underwear and the liter of distilled water in a large Ziploc bag.

If you don't want to haul around a gallon of distilled water as well as the cpap ( I know my cpap in its case is heavy enough!) ,the tap water on the HAL ships is quite fine and doesn't cost $4. I have done it both ways.

Our grocery store carries CPAP water in two sizes. One gallon (3.78 liters) and one liter. The one liter size fits nicely in a carryon bag with the extra protection of a large Ziploc. Rather than fiddle with an extra bag, even though as medically necessary it is permitted on an airplane, we stick the CPAP case inside one of our carryon bags.

Our grocery store carries CPAP water in two sizes. One gallon (3.78 liters) and one liter. The one liter size fits nicely in a carryon bag with the extra protection of a large Ziploc. Rather than fiddle with an extra bag, even though as medically necessary it is permitted on an airplane, we stick the CPAP case inside one of our carryon bags.

And how much do they charge for a 1 liter bottle?