Burj A Arab

Skeezics

I'm curious why Keith is suggesting lunch rather than the tea, I'd certainly make the same recommendation but perhaps for different reasons.

We stayed at the Burj several years ago, not long after it opened, it was maybe around 2003/4 so things may have changed a lot since then. I am also not a fan of the new Dubai at all, having stopped visiting in 2006 after regular trips, so please take my comments with a pinch of salt if necessary!

As a hotel the Burj is seriously overhyped and the 7 star rating is a marketing gimmick. It's vulgar and is like Vegas encapsulated into one (externally spectacular) piece of architecture. I think that people who love Dubai will love the Burj because it offers all the worst excesses of Dubai. I preferred the old, 20th century Dubai, but those who like the new Dubai will likely be Burj fans.

That said, it's an experience to see it, and not one that I'd have missed. The hotel treats those who are not hotel residents with some disdain (again, this is what we saw all those years ago and anecdotal from friends). Tea is a total tourist event, so I'd choose lunch and hopefully the service will be better.

If you book for lunch, I'd recommend the Al Muntaha restaurant, it has those amazing views and friends have given good, recent reports about it. However if you enjoy Arabic/ Middle Eastern cuisine (we do), then I'd recommend the Al Iwan but you'll need to go up to the Skyview bar for a drink to see the views as the Al Iwan is on a low floor (possibly first floor, can't recall).

if you are going to visit I would have the lunch over the tea. It will allow you more time at the hotel. Either way, you are essentially paying to get a tour of the hotel. It's perfectly understandable though as if you were a guest you wouldn't want so many people there so this limits to some extent the number of visitors.

Keith

We had tea on one of the top floors, and we could stay as long as we liked. The view would not be that great if there is a sandstorm. On my two trips to Dubai, one in summer and one in winter, the sky were not so clear...

Keith, yes your line of thinking makes perfect sense, I was just curious about your reasons, thanks for the reply.

Scandun, that's unlucky that you experienced sandstorms both times. When we used to travel to Dubai frequently, we found that February was the worst time for them.

As hotel guests we certainly felt like an attraction at Disney or exhibits in the zoo :eek: with all the people coming in to take a look at the hotel. Back then I think you could just pay something like $10 US to go into the hotel and take a look around. Our experience wasn't helped because there were papparazi (sp) in motor boats circling around the sea by the pool area for the first two days of our stay.

Archived