Lisbon: Recommendations for times between flights?

hightownCO

Looking for folks who have changed planes in Lisbon and are familiar with the airport.

So, am looking at MIA/LIS/BCN on TAP. We have to change planes in Lisbon with 2hrs 10 minutes between the LIS and BCN legs. Is that enough time? Will we clear customs in Lisbon or in BCN?

On the return (on TAP), route is VCE/LIS/MIA. There's 1hr40 minutes to change flights in Lisbon for the Miami flight. Same question...Enough time?

Thanks in advance

Probably, but don't count on it. We flew direct into Lisbon from Boston over the summer. Maybe it's different for connecting flights, but we spent approximately an hour and a half in the immigration line on arrival. That combined with having to wait around to be shuttled from the plane to the terminal made for a miserable experience.

...We flew direct into Lisbon from Boston over the summer....

Curious about how you did this. The only direct fight that I know of from US East Coast to Lisbon is TAP/CO daily code share out of Newark.

I've been flying between BOS and LIS regularly for over 7 years and have yet to find either a direct or non-stop flight, and there certainly aren't any listed currently - all involve plane changes. Am I missing something?

Curious about how you did this. The only direct fight that I know of from US East Coast to Lisbon is TAP/CO daily code share out of Newark.

I've been flying between BOS and LIS regularly for over 7 years and have yet to find either a direct or non-stop flight, and there certainly aren't any listed currently - all involve plane changes. Am I missing something?

No, they all connect in EWR first. Maybe poster was on some kind of charter?

No, they all connect in EWR first. Maybe poster was on some kind of charter?

...or perhaps is unfamiliar with the airline term "direct." Anyway, glad to know I haven't lost my mind, at least not completely. I usually connect through ZRH, but trying something new in December: BOS-MAD-LIS on Iberia. Iberia is one of those airlines people seem to either love or hate. Personally have never had a problem with them, but have only flown with them within Europe.

Getting back on topic, I've never changed planes in Lisbon as it is normally my origin or destination, but immigration can be slow, although quicker than baggage delivery. However, OP's baggage will be checked through to BCN, so I don't see a problem connecting within 60-minute MCT. Just be sure to get in right passport line, as they are different for different types of passports and signage isn't great.

Bob

Not a charter. It was an overnight non-stop flight - Boston to Lisbon on SATA.

Thanks - I've learned something new. Thought I knew all of the international airlines flying out of Logan, but missed SATA, perhaps because the direct flight only operates twice a week, at least at present. They are not showing any non-stops currently, but a stop in Ponta Delgada, with no plane change.

Price is very reasonable, probably worth going to Lisbon earlier than planned, and even with the stop in Ponta Delgada, total flight time excellent.

I see that they are operating this service with A310s, not one of my favorite aircraft, so how was your flight?

Anyway, I'm flying to Lisbon on an award ticket in December, but will certainly check out SATA for next year.

Bob

Thanks - I've learned something new. Thought I knew all of the international airlines flying out of Logan, but missed SATA.....

I see that they are operating this service with A310s, not one of my favorite aircraft, so how was your flight?

Bob

Yes, it was an A310, and it was the most uncomfortable flight I have ever been on. Very little leg room, cramped seats, and the tray table barely cleared my belly. I usually don't mind flying, but in this case I couldn't wait to get off! Other than that, service was fine.

Yes, it was an A310, and it was the most uncomfortable flight I have ever been on. Very little leg room, cramped seats, and the tray table barely cleared my belly. I usually don't mind flying, but in this case I couldn't wait to get off! Other than that, service was fine.

Thanks - suspected that might be the case given SATA's rock bottom fares. Also, I'm also a little leery of an airline whose fleet totals only 8 aircraft (4-A310 and 4-A320) and only one alliance, with TAP. Guess I'll stick with the majors, hopefully with enough UA/CO FF miles for Star Alliance award tickets!

In case anybody is interested, SATA International is wholly owned by SATA Air Acores which is 100% owned by Azores regional government.

Archived