Transfer from Orlando Airport (MCO) to Port Canaveral

dresterj

A group of friends and I are taking a cruise that departs from Port Canaveral in January 2012. We are flying into Orlando (MCO) the morning of the cruise departure. Please share advise on the most efficient (time and financial) way to get from the airport to the port (and opposite way). I assume that the cruise line's transportation is not. Thanks in advance.

* There will be at least 5 of us that can travel together (as we are are all on the same flight).

Hiring a private car would b the most economical way of getting multiple people there. We've gone with limos to stretch SUVs. Just split the costs per person.. And they pick up n drop off on your schedule when n where u want. And most if asked will make a stop if needed for misc items (water, soda...)

Our travel agent found a local agency that provide transport from airport to Port Canaveral for our 21 family members and back again. It ended up being a bus and we were the only ones on it. I think it was about $65 a person. On the return trip it even detoured to WDW to drop off half of the family. Look arround and you can find something.

Most economical for 5 would be a rental car. It's a 45 minute drive and the car services (and taxis) can be quite expensive. Strike that ... taxis can be exorbitant. If you don't want the hassle to dealing with the rental car pick up and drop off then definitely look at shuttles - either private ones or through the cruise line.

If you want to go the rental route, you might try Budget. Pick it up at MCO and drop it off about a mile from the port. AND they have a shuttle to and from the ship. Of course, you might have to wait for a shuttle a bit but a taxi or a ship bus is not something to do if you want to save money and time.

• 3 months later...

The cheapest rental car I could find was Thrifty for $36/day for MCO to Port Canaveral, but there was also an additional fee of $21 for dropping off to a different location. So it's actually $57 one way. Do you still think this is better than getting a shuttle for 4 people?:confused:

I have tried to post this before and haven't gotten any answers. If you rent a car in Florida even if you have insurance do you HAVE to buy Florida insurance as well? Last time I got the car on points and the insurance cost more than the car would have cost. I would like to rent a car for our next visit but if it is going to cost more than the rental car I don't know.

tigercat

We took the Carnival shuttle both ways, no worries, there is a person with a carnival sign waiting for you at the luggage carousel to direct you where to go. They take your luggage at the shuttle bus, and you don't see it again till later that day at your room. For an extra fee on the way back they will pick up your luggage deliver it to the airport and you don't see it until you land at your home airport. To us this service was priceless, hassle free and well worth the cost which I believe was 35 pp each way.

We took the Carnival shuttle both ways, no worries, there is a person with a carnival sign waiting for you at the luggage carousel to direct you where to go. They take your luggage at the shuttle bus, and you don't see it again till later that day at your room. For an extra fee on the way back they will pick up your luggage deliver it to the airport and you don't see it until you land at your home airport. To us this service was priceless, hassle free and well worth the cost which I believe was 35 pp each way.

Hi, can I ask you, did you have to wait long for the shuttle to leave the airport? I'm just curious to know if they wait for a few flights before leaving, or how they run. I'm flying into MCO and land around 9:30am (w/ just carry-on luggage) so I'm HOPING to not have to wait around in the airport...

Hi, can I ask you, did you have to wait long for the shuttle to leave the airport? I'm just curious to know if they wait for a few flights before leaving, or how they run. I'm flying into MCO and land around 9:30am (w/ just carry-on luggage) so I'm HOPING to not have to wait around in the airport...

I think we waited just over a half hour, they give you a number when you get to the carnival counter and all people with that number get on the bus when it arrives. I assume that they don't leave until the bus is full but that was no problem in that half hour lots of people showed up.We were on the boat eating lunch before 1, wealso got to the airport around 9:30 also.

Archived