How to pack a 12 pack of soda

Last i cruised on RCCL in December of 2010 I had heard a few people who tried smuggling on booze and soda and it was confesgated(SP?) but it was only about 6 or 8 people i heard it from, some was booze and some was sode, I would just make sure its well packed or hope you through with it in your carry on like someone above mentioned.

I sailed on the Oasis Jan. 2011. I put a 12-pack of Diet Coke in a beach bag that zipped and put a luggage tag around the handles. It was delivered to my stateroom with my other suitcase. The soda carton could be seen through the mesh of my beach bag. No problems, but maybe lucky. The only problem I had was that I asked room steward to empty the mini-fridge in room and he didn't. I didn't press the issue. He supplied ice regularly. We took a small soft-sided cooler on board (folded, it fit fine in a suitcase) and tipped him when we made request for ice.

... I don't like coke and would only want my PEPSI!!

Sharon I

You sound like me. I'm considering taking a six pack of Pepsi. Not sure if I feel like dealing with it though. Maybe I'll break the Pepsi habit and switch to something better for me ... Water. lol

Don't think you need to smuggle :confused: just make sure it's well labelled for your cabin

:confused: From the Royal Caribbean Site:

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense,Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them. :(

Was on FOS last month and I put 3 12 packs of diet coke in a bag with a luggage tag and it was delivered to my room no problem. My brother in law had a 12 pack of Sprite in his backpack and when he went through security they asked him what it was, he told them, and they sent him on through with no questions or problems. I would just make sure whatever you put it in it is clearly labeled with your cabin # and name.

When you get your luggage tags, make copies of them. We taped these copies to the tops of the 12 pack containers (2 of them) and 2 cases of water. Have done this the last three times on the explorer. Delivered to our room everytime without question. We did get a banged up can or two, but no big deal.

I'm not sure how bringing your own soda onboard causes someone to get obliterated in their cabin and stagger around. Must be a different type of soda than what I drink, but I stick with diet DP and only have 1-2/day. Are you thinking of Jolt cola (slogan - All the sugar with twice the caffeine :eek:) or something similar? I don't think they make Jolt anymore but I can remember drinking Jolt in college during finals time. A 6-pk of that during an all-night cram session created some staggering zombies once the tests were over. I assume some of the energy drinks that are available now would have similar effect if a person drinks several of them in a short time period.

I went on the Majesty this past January and carried a 12 pack of coke and a small case of water on with me. I was literally carrying the containers, not hidden or disguised in anyway. I had planned to check them in, but porter said I had to carry them, guess because they weren't in a bag. Not a single person said anything to me. Got a lot of evil looks from others in line, probably because they wished they had done the same thing, hahaha.

I have carried a 12 pack of Diet Coke (or Coke Light) on every RCI cruise (I have been on ten). I strap it to my roll-aboard and carry it on. I have never had a problem. Since I consume 3-4 cans a day, I even replenish my supply at port stops. No problem bringing another 6 or 12 pack aboard. I have heard there are times that NO beverages may be brought aboard, usually Spring Break, etc. Since I do not cruise during that time, I have not encountered that policy.

wow, good discussion here.

i know for airplane rides, once you go to thru id/security and metal detectors, you can bring EMPTY water bottles on board, similar to nalgene.jpg

is that the same case for ships? do they also have metal detectors or is it a visual search? what if i have say a nalgene container in my backpack w/water...will i be required to empty the contents like at the airport?

:confused:

You have to go through a metal detector and all bags are sent through an X-ray machine each time you board the ship, including after making a port stop.

I usually bring a bottle with me to fill with water and ice for excursions. If I have it in my hand when boarding, I've almost always been told to dump any remaining water. If it's in a pack, sometimes security sees it on the X-ray, pulls it out and tells me to empty it but other times not. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it - just depends on who is working security line that day. I've also been told to throw away open soda bottles before boarding but haven't had a problem yet with sealed ones.

Archived