How do you know if you are invited to the Captain's Welcome Aboard Gala?

joyus

the only place RuthC needs a defibriator is at one of the Death by Chocolate events. :D:D

There are worst things than to die by chocolate on a HAL ship, I suppose.

But I still don't want to do it. Not for a lot of years, anyway.

Hi,

Guess I'm just lucky. I sailed on the 10 Day Christmas Wayfarer 2005, on the Volendam. Just booked the 2005, April 9th sailing of the Zuiderdam,and in my black document case were two Zuiderdam ID Baggage Claim tickets, two Mariner Baggage Labels, and a Blue Mariner Button. Go figure.

Best,

As always,

Bruce

Hi Brian,

I don't know what you do, but if you lose your current job, I think you have a great future in comedy.

Best,

As always,

Bruce

P.S. I meant this for your comments on the Staying on Board Ship thread. I'll repost as I don't know how to erase this one.

Hi,

Guess I'm just lucky. I sailed on the 10 Day Christmas Wayfarer 2005, on the Volendam. Just booked the 2005, April 9th sailing of the Zuiderdam,and in my black document case were two Zuiderdam ID Baggage Claim tickets, two Mariner Baggage Labels, and a Blue Mariner Button. Go figure.

Best,

As always,

Bruce

Bruce--

After you've taken your first cruise - you're an automatic Mariner...

The pins that they give you after 25 days is the type that you might wear as a lapel pin - much nicer than the Mariner's buttons...

BTW - Thanks for the compliment!

:)

Thanks everyone for keeping me straight. Yes, I meant the Mariner's Party.

How long does this event last? I think I'll call HAL to make sure they show me as a return pax. When I made my reservation, they could not find my Mariner# and just accepted the information I gave them. It been so long since we've sailed HAL that the ship we were on for our honeymoon isn't around anymore :-) .

Does anyone know if there are plans to combine or include trip days between all the Carnival Cruise ships (Princess, HAL, Carnival, etc.)? that would sure help some of us reach new levels faster.

No, there are no plans to combine alumni groups (as RCCI and Celebrity have done) but alumni of any of the Carnival family of cruise lines do get VIP treatment on the others. See:

http://www.leaderships.com/vip/

Thanks Dakrewser, I wonder if the discount is really significant. I think I would like to see some type of onboard benefit instead. Usually, you can check around and find good discounts somewhere.

It been so long since we've sailed HAL that the ship we were on for our honeymoon isn't around anymore :-) .

My first HAL cruise was in 1984 and when I took my second cruise, they were able to find me in the "pre-computerized" records, LOL! They still have these reocrds, if I'm not mistaken. Contact HAL's Mariner's Society - they should be able to help. I just got my 100-day medallion and the ceremony was at 11:30am on the last sea day. It was about 1 hour in length - there were a lot of new medallion recipients, even a 700 day.

There were also quite a few "crashers" - free drinks are given out and some folks will do anything for a "freebie" I guess.

Guest Celestia

Last October on the Statendam, I was specifically invited to the Mariner's Luncheon along with my cabin mate.

It was my first HAL cruise, his fourth.

I have the invitation right before me as I type this. It has both of our full names on it (we have different last names). There was no question of crashing the party, nor any question as to whether I was invited, and no, we don't book a suite, just an ordinary cabin.

FW&FS,

Celestia

Hi Celestia,

I was on that same Statendam cruise in October and I though that the luncheon was a nice idea. They don't usually have a luncheon just a cocktail-type get together somewhat like the Captain's Welcome Aboard party.

Joyus, of course you should take your mother with you. HAL can certainly afford an extra glass of champagne or two!:D

Everybody is welcome and if you don't drink there is orange juice. The line to get in is a "Kodak Moment" if you know what I mean. The photographers will get you two or three times plus one with the Captain.

If I am invited to the Mariner's get-together I've decided I'm taking my Mom. I'd hate to leave her in the cabin alone.

Why would she be confined to the cabin alone if you didn't take her? She would be welcome in any of the other public areas, out on deck, etc. She's allowed to talk to others.

You might be surprised how easy it is to meet new friends while alone on a cruiseship. ;)

Why would she be confined to the cabin alone if you didn't take her? She would be welcome in any of the other public areas, out on deck, etc. She's allowed to talk to others.

You might be surprised how easy it is to meet new friends while alone on a cruiseship. ;)

I'm sure you're right. My brother and I are always teasing my Mom telling her that she should be a greeter at Wal-mart - she'll start a conversation with anyone and people are naturally attracted to her, however, since this is only her 2nd cruise in a lifetime, I want her to experience as much of the cruise life as possible, which would include this one opportunity to the Mariner's Get-together. Do you generally cruise alone?

Do you generally cruise alone?

Yup. I had three cruises all by myself before I met my husband. Even when he and I cruised there were lots of times he went his way and I went mine. Since he died five years ago I've got 140 days sailing alone with 35 more booked this summer.

And tomorrow I'm booking to sail on Rev Neal's group cruise to Hawaii.

Like I said, I know how easy it is to meet such nice people on a cruise ship. I know your Mom will have a good time even if she misplaces you for a while!

Guest Celestia

Hi Celestia,

I was on that same Statendam cruise in October and I though that the luncheon was a nice idea. They don't usually have a luncheon just a cocktail-type get together somewhat like the Captain's Welcome Aboard party.

You were? Did we meet? That luncheon was really quite nice.

I'm the redhead that always has a book, my companion is the older gentleman who looks like Robert DiNiro with a ponytail. Spent most of my daytime in the library or at the window seats just outside the Piano Bar, and we closed down the Ocean Bar every night but one.

I'm also from SD, by the way.

FW&FS,

Celestia

Yup. I had three cruises all by myself before I met my husband. Even when he and I cruised there were lots of times he went his way and I went mine. Since he died five years ago I've got 140 days sailing alone with 35 more booked this summer.

And tomorrow I'm booking to sail on Rev Neal's group cruise to Hawaii.

Like I said, I know how easy it is to meet such nice people on a cruise ship. I know your Mom will have a good time even if she misplaces you for a while!

Since you sail alone, what type of cabin do you usually book (inside, outside, balcony?) If cruising alone, is it best to cruise with a group that has a block of cabins?

Since you sail alone, what type of cabin do you usually book (inside, outside, balcony?) If cruising alone, is it best to cruise with a group that has a block of cabins?

I've always booked an inside cabin. In '03, '04, and again in '05 I've booked a guaranteed share, because the cruises are so long (over a month; read:$$$$$), but anything less than 30 days I do the single supplement.

I imagine a group with a block of cabins is cheaper, but I pick the cruise I want without regard to whether or not there's a group going.

Until the CC group cruise Rev Neal is organizing I've never gone with a group---have never gone with another person, as a matter of fact! Last year I knew a few people I had met onboard in '03, I've run in to people I've met before several times, and will be meeting up with several CC people on this summer's cruise, but I travel foot-loose and fancy free.

Does that help?

Archived