Fos oeanview on 2nd floor

We are going on FOS for New Years and for the first time we are not getting a balcony, we are going to be on the 2nd floor (2338) in an oceanviewto make it affordable. We are a party of 16 and so we can all be together we booked oceanviews all together. My spoiled DH is very concerned that he is not going to enjoy the trip on the 2nd floor he thinks it's going to be noisy and cramped. I'm just happy to be going on a 9 nt cruise for New Years Eve. DH is not the only one worried many in my party are concerned about engine noise and so on. Could you all please give me some insight on what it's realy like if you have stayed on the 2nd floor.

had an ov on freedom with DD back in 08. (2614 port i think) didn't hear any kind of noise except for the occasional drunk or two.:D wasn't that bad till DD stopped picking up her stuff. then it got a little cramped.:eek: your DH won't be happy to hear this but now i always book a balcony.

I've had a deck 3 oceanview on the Navigator and loved it. I feel as though you experience less noise because there are less rooms, therefore less people down there. You are also so close to the water, it's awesome.

I really like deck 2 on the Voyager and Freedom class ships and have stayed there several times. The deck is very quiet as there is no need for anyone who does not have a cabin on the deck to be there. You will hear nothing from the deck below. The engine room is several decks down. Elevators are a breeze as by the time they come down everyone has gotten off at other decks so there is always room to get on. And the best part is that Freedom will use deck 1 for gangways at the ports of call. When you return to the ship from port you can bypass the lines of people waiting for elevators, walk up one flight of stairs and you are home!

We stayed in 2328 (five rooms forward of 2338) and didn't have any problems at all and I concur with Ocean Boy. We found deck 2 to be very quiet and thought it was very convenient to just go down one deck for the gangway/tenders. We also never had any problem catching an elevator when we had to go up to the higher decks and were able to just walk up the stairs to the MDR and Royal Promenade. We had no appreciable engine noise or vibration and no noise from the bow thrusters. Being at midships we also didn't have a whole lot of moving/swaying in rougher waters. One other nice feature about your particular location in 2338 is that you'll be right near the electronic kiosk so you'll be literally able to just pop out and check anything you need to know (cruise compass, MDR menu, etc).

As for being cramped, yes, an oceanview will be smaller than a balcony stateroom, but DW and I never really felt cramped. There's a good bit of storage space throughout the cabin and between the vanity/desk area and the loveseat we had room to spread out a bit if we needed to. The only time I'd say we really felt cramped was when we were both on the loveseat trying to eat breakfast from room service. The view out our window was gorgeous and there was the perfect amount of light, we thought.

The only annoyance - and it was a very minor one - is that Deck 2 is split. We tried to go to the Screening Room one day - which we thought was just forward at the bow end of Deck 2. However, we found out that Deck 2 is non-contiguous so we had to go up to Deck 4, go forward, and then back down to Deck 2. Not a huge problem, but just annoying that it's not more clearly delineated on the deck map.

Have no worries, I think that your group will be quite pleased and your hubby will stop grumbling once he's aboard! :)

Archived