Barcelona Flamenco Show Questions

Will be in Barcelona next June with RCL on a cruise stop from 10am - 11pm. Since we will not have to be back on board til 10pm I thought I it would be fun to go to a Flamenco Show. It will also be one of my DD's 20th birthday that day.

I've researched this board but still have some questions. Based on the times, I've narrowed it down to two: either El Tablao de Carmen (at the Spanish Village) or Palacio del Flamenco. Both have shows that end between 8:15-8:30pm which should give time to get back to the ship.

We would prefer not to be rushing around with the metro or a bus, so can anyone tell me if there will be taxis waiting in the port area in the evenings for people leaving the ship and taxis waiting for people to get them after the shows? Our plan is to take in some sights and come back to the ship and change before the show. We will probably grab something quick to eat onboard the ship instead of doing the food at the show (one DD is vegetarian and the other requires gluten-free).

Any advice? One show preferred over the other? Also, how is the seating if you don't order their meal?

And how far in advance did you book?

Barcelona is not known for flamenco shows. In this region of Spain, a flamenco show is something purely for the foreign tourist -- which is proven by the times of the shows you are citing. For a Spaniard, this type of show would not even begin until 10 p.m. or 11 p.m. The Southern parts of Spain (Seville, the region of Andalucía) and even Madrid are better known for flamenco.

The "Pueblo Español" was set up for one of the world fairs in Barcelona many years ago. It is a copy of all of the Spanish regions. It is an interesting place and you might like it there, but then again, it is not really one of Barcelona's most popular tourist venues.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Thanks, we understand that what we would see is purely a "tourist" type of entertainment. But we're in Spain and it will be my daughter's birthday and that's what she wants. I'm not sure we would be interested in seeing any of the Pueblo Espanol anyway, which is why we were thinking of seeing the highlights of Barcelona, back to the ship for a quick bite and change, and then taxi to the show.

Both the places I mentioned have later shows as well. These were the only two I could find that had shows early enough we would not worry about missing the ship. At least one of them seems to stress the Flamenco is "authentic", but I suspect it is adapted for the tourist.

Unfortunately our other Spanish stops on the cruise are Valencia and Palmas de Marjorca and we leave prior to dinner, so Barcelona seems to be the best chance for some evening entertainment.

Thanks, we understand that what we would see is purely a "tourist" type of entertainment. But we're in Spain and it will be my daughter's birthday and that's what she wants. I'm not sure we would be interested in seeing any of the Pueblo Espanol anyway, which is why we were thinking of seeing the highlights of Barcelona, back to the ship for a quick bite and change, and then taxi to the show.

Both the places I mentioned have later shows as well. These were the only two I could find that had shows early enough we would not worry about missing the ship. At least one of them seems to stress the Flamenco is "authentic", but I suspect it is adapted for the tourist.

Unfortunately our other Spanish stops on the cruise are Valencia and Palmas de Marjorca and we leave prior to dinner, so Barcelona seems to be the best chance for some evening entertainment.

This is a show that your DD will absolutely love. I saw Flamenco when I was about her age and I still remember it to this day very fondly (many years later, LOL).

Everything, not just Flamenco is geared toward tourists now. Perhaps check the websites of the 2 locations you are thinking about, to see what the decor looks like.

I would also think that it would be better to purchase tickets ahead, but I don't know for sure. I agree that you should go to the earlier show.

Have a great time, it will be a great experience.

As I mention in my Barcelona review, we attended a short show at Tarantos.

They have three shows each evening at 8:30, 9:30 and 10:30. They are 30 min. each and cost about 8-Euro IIRC. You need to clear out after each show and you need to be there about 30min. prior to show time if you want a decent seat (it's first come first serve for seating).

The location of Tarantos is great... in Plaza Real just off the lower end of Las Ramblas, which makes it easy to get to/from the ship via the port bus. For 2-Euro you can take the port bus to/from your ship to the foot of Las Ramblas. It leaves every 20 minutes or so. More info on the port bus.

They have three shows each evening at 8:30, 9:30 and 10:30. They are 30 min. each and cost about 8-Euro IIRC. You need to clear out after each show and you need to be there about 30min. prior to show time if you want a decent seat (it's first come first serve for seating).

The location of Tarantos is great... in Plaza Real just off the lower end of Las Ramblas, which makes it easy to get to/from the ship via the port bus. For 2-Euro you can take the port bus to/from your ship to the foot of Las Ramblas. It leaves every 20 minutes or so. More info on the port bus.

Thanks, that helps alot. If the first show is 8:30 it would be over at 9pm.

Also helpful for the port bus info. That's something I had not found.

Anyone know where Royal Caribbean docks?

And how late does the bus run?

Were there taxis there when you got out that you could take? It might be easier to just do the taxi.

Taxis in Barcelona are all over/easy to find!

You can hail them on the street while they are moving or go up to one parked at a taxi stand. You won't have trouble finding one.

My friend and her son went to Tablao del Carmen and did not eat dinner there. They thought it was just a fine way to do it since she is a "foodie" and didn't think the food would be particularly good there. They enjoyed the show very much and have seen other flamenco so they had a background with which to compare.

Another quick question VirtualRain - how early did you line up to get tickets for the show or did you get them ahead of time? I realize you went to the later show and we would have to go to the first, but maybe that would give some idea.

The shows at the other places are twice as long but alot more expensive. Just need to decide, guess I have some time.

Another quick question VirtualRain - how early did you line up to get tickets for the show or did you get them ahead of time? I realize you went to the later show and we would have to go to the first, but maybe that would give some idea.

The shows at the other places are twice as long but alot more expensive. Just need to decide, guess I have some time.

We walked up after dinner around 9:15 intending to go to the 9:30 show and were told that there was standing room only at that point. So we opted for the 10:30 show, and walked around for awhile before returning to Tarantos around 10PM. We were about 10th in line and got great seats. The venue is small and intimate. It's worth pointing out that the performers were extremely passionate and captivating. It was fantastic! I would repeat for sure and maybe even try two back-to-back shows next time I'm there.

I'm not sure what time the box office opens. Of course, you can buy tickets online in advance and save a couple bucks too.

I see on their website that they are advertising 6 shows a day in July/August. So maybe they will offer more shows in June too. I would check the site closer to your departure.

Thank you all so much for this thread, it gave us a great idea. We will also be in Barcelona very soon, Friday Nov 25th, in port until 10 PM.

I'm all for the latest option proposed here, but if the show doesn't start until 2030, will there really be enough time to finish it and travel back to the port, being onboard with sufficient time before sailing at 2200? That seems to be cutting it close.

If it's do-able, I'll buy the tickets now.

Thank you all so much for this thread, it gave us a great idea. We will also be in Barcelona very soon, Friday Nov 25th, in port until 10 PM.

I'm all for the latest option proposed here, but if the show doesn't start until 2030, will there really be enough time to finish it and travel back to the port, being onboard with sufficient time before sailing at 2200? That seems to be cutting it close.

If it's do-able, I'll buy the tickets now.

Wildblue - If you do this PLEASE report back! My thoughts were if the 8:30pm show was only thirty minutes we should be on our way back to the ship by 9:15pm (as long as easy to get a taxi). It also looked close to the port.

Our ship though sails at 11pm so back on board by 10pm. Does yours sail at 10 or back on board by then?

Will be in Barcelona next June with RCL on a cruise stop from 10am - 11pm. Since we will not have to be back on board til 10pm I thought I it would be fun to go to a Flamenco Show. It will also be one of my DD's 20th birthday that day.

I've researched this board but still have some questions. Based on the times, I've narrowed it down to two: either El Tablao de Carmen (at the Spanish Village) or Palacio del Flamenco. Both have shows that end between 8:15-8:30pm which should give time to get back to the ship.

We would prefer not to be rushing around with the metro or a bus, so can anyone tell me if there will be taxis waiting in the port area in the evenings for people leaving the ship and taxis waiting for people to get them after the shows? Our plan is to take in some sights and come back to the ship and change before the show. We will probably grab something quick to eat onboard the ship instead of doing the food at the show (one DD is vegetarian and the other requires gluten-free).

Any advice? One show preferred over the other? Also, how is the seating if you don't order their meal?

And how far in advance did you book?

We did El Tablao de Carmen last March. It was a pretty good show. The dancing was very good. However, I have been to flamenco shows in Southern Spain were the production was on a stage before a larger audience and the music was better and the dancers used castanets.

Still, I recommend Carmen.

We only did the Tapas, not the meal and we had plenty of food. Don't do the meal.

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

I too am interested in seeing some Flamenco while I am in Barcelona. We are staying 5 nts in Barcelona pre-cruise so no time restraints for me. I was born in the south of Spain and while I have not been back for many years have fond memories of seeing flamenco when I was younger. I realize that Barcelona is not the best place to see Flamenco but since its my only stop in Spain I am hoping to be able to catch a good show. Do any of these places use castanets?

VirtualRain - read your other review of Barcelona - great info and pics!!

We are also looking for a show as the night we get into Barcelona is my birthday :D What I want, I get!

I found two places, and need to take the time to read through trip advisor... BUT, if any of you have gone to either show and would be willing to share. That would be wonderful :)

Looks like they have slightly different show times, but the prices are fairly similiar for dinner/tapas/drinks with the shows.

Flamenco Tablao Corobés

http://www.tablaocordobes.com

El Tablao de Carmen

http://www.tablaodecarmen.com/index.php?lang=en

Any help or suggestions would be awesome as I am a little clueless on the best show to see :confused:

We are also looking for a show as the night we get into Barcelona is my birthday :D What I want, I get!

I found two places, and need to take the time to read through trip advisor... BUT, if any of you have gone to either show and would be willing to share. That would be wonderful :)

Looks like they have slightly different show times, but the prices are fairly similiar for dinner/tapas/drinks with the shows.

Flamenco Tablao Corobés

http://www.tablaocordobes.com

El Tablao de Carmen

http://www.tablaodecarmen.com/index.php?lang=en

Any help or suggestions would be awesome as I am a little clueless on the best show to see :confused:

You probably are not going to find someone that has been to both shows. Carmen is a good show. I recommend the tapas, which works as a meal.

Check out tripadvisor, etc. for more opinion.

So with these shows, do you have to get the meals there or is there a price for just the show only?

They both have options to have a drink & show ticket, no meal. I was kind of leaning on the Tablao Cordobes, simply location wise, it is easier to get to and from the Las Ramblas area. When I did some reading on Trip Advisor, some folks mentioned getting a taxi after the late night show at Tabloe de Carmen was hard and you had to walk a few blocks, which is not physically a problem, but with crime/pick pockets, I'm a little concerned walking more than a block or two late at night. Maybe I'm just too concerned/paranoid maybe? :rolleyes:

You probably are not going to find someone that has been to both shows. Carmen is a good show. I recommend the tapas, which works as a meal.

Check out tripadvisor, etc. for more opinion.

Wasn't asking if someone had been to both shows, just if they had been to either show to share their experience as it relates to post/pre cruise activities. Some of those reviews on Trip Advisor are people who are just generally vacationing, sometimes in the area for days to weeks. Was just hoping someone who is cruising to/from Barcelona would have insight on the best show for a shorter time-frame of being in the city.

Wasn't asking if someone had been to both shows, just if they had been to either show to share their experience as it relates to post/pre cruise activities. Some of those reviews on Trip Advisor are people who are just generally vacationing, sometimes in the area for days to weeks. Was just hoping someone who is cruising to/from Barcelona would have insight on the best show for a shorter time-frame of being in the city.

Thanks I would like to know that too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I also am looking into a show for our only night in Barcelona after our cruise in April. I have a friend who HIGHLY recommended Tablao Cordobes. Unfortunately for us, they do not have a Monday show so we will have to decide on something else. For your information, they got to Cordabes by taxi an hour early because your ticket(bought online) gets you into the olympic village an hour early. She said the tapas and show was plenty of food and there are no bad seats. Hope this will help.

I also am looking into a show for our only night in Barcelona after our cruise in April. I have a friend who HIGHLY recommended Tablao Cordobes. Unfortunately for us' date=' they do not have a Monday show so we will have to decide on something else. For your information, they got to Cordabes by taxi an hour early because your ticket(bought online) gets you into the olympic village an hour early. She said the tapas and show was plenty of food and there are no bad seats. Hope this will help.[/quote']

We stayed in Barcelona for 3 nights post cruise. I really wanted to see a Flamenco show and my husband reluctantly agreed. With that said, we both had a wonderful time at El Tablao de Carmen. We purchased the Tapas package online before we went to BCN. We were able to arrive 1 hour early and see the Spanish Village for free. The village was not impressive, but the Flamenco show was great. We had great seats at a table in front of the stage. The tapas and drinks option included a tasty pitcher of Sangria or a bottle of wine, 6 plates of tapas served over the course of the show, and espresso and creme brulee. We had not eaten dinner before we went, but left the show full. It was an enjoyable evening. The only downfall is the walk uphill from the Espanya metro station. We took the #50 bus to Passeig de Gràcia and walked a block to Placa Catalunya since it came as we started to walk down the hill. If you hace mobility issues or are tired, I suggest taking a taxi. There were taxi available after the show too.

I also am looking into a show for our only night in Barcelona after our cruise in April. I have a friend who HIGHLY recommended Tablao Cordobes. Unfortunately for us' date=' they do not have a Monday show so we will have to decide on something else. For your information, they got to Cordabes by taxi an hour early because your ticket(bought online) gets you into the olympic village an hour early. She said the tapas and show was plenty of food and there are no bad seats. Hope this will help.[/quote']

I have read some great things about Tablao Cordobes as well but I have yet to find anyone on CC that has been to a show.

We stayed in Barcelona for 3 nights post cruise. I really wanted to see a Flamenco show and my husband reluctantly agreed. With that said, we both had a wonderful time at El Tablao de Carmen...

The only downfall is the walk uphill from the Espanya metro station. We took the #50 bus to Passeig de Gràcia and walked a block to Placa Catalunya since it came as we started to walk down the hill. If you hace mobility issues or are tired, I suggest taking a taxi. There were taxi available after the show too.

I was reading some reviews on trip advisor and several people mentioned it was hard to find a taxi after the late show and the buses definitely didn't run that late. That's my only concern. Still haven't booked the hotel but depending on where we book, it may influence which show we go to.

Archived