A poll on smoking

snoopy122

Does smoking on one side the lido deck bother you  

1,218 members have voted

1. 1. Does smoking on one side the lido deck bother you

This poll clearly shows that there aren't that many whiners and complainers as the other threads on smoking vs nonsmoking have led me to believe. I guess it is because the non-fanatical people don't bother to engage in the argument, but in a poll where they aren't going to get verbally beaten up they do show that they aren't really bothered by people smoking outdoors. The smoke is so diluted by the air that I don't understand how it could bother anyone unless they venture into the smoking area. I'm a nonsmoker and even walking through the smoking section on an outdoor decks, I am definitely not bothered by the smoke - most often I can't even smell it. As someone else posted earlier - some people have an allergy to even seeing a cigarette - fanatics they are called.

It doesn't bother me. I just avoid that side. What bothers me is neighbors smoking on the balconies and polluting my fresh air and ruining my balcony experience.

Agree-would prefer not having smoking on balconies, or perhaps a dedicated balcony smoking section or side, but logistically this is not possible I know. On deck is fine as long as dedicated.

Unfortunately, the fewer the smoking areas on the rest of the ship the more smokers will use their balconies to smoke.

Unfortunately, the fewer the smoking areas on the rest of the ship the more smokers will use their balconies to smoke.

Then Carnival is going to get even more complaining from the non-smokers, especially if some of the smokers truly do what they say they will do, and smoke MORE on their balcony just out of spite for Carnival limiting smoking areas on the ship.

I don't mind my balcony neighbor smoking a cigarette on their balcony while I'm out enjoying mine. Even if I catch a whiff of the smoke, that's fine. But if someone is out there chain smoking morning, noon and night then I might feel differently.

I agree with others, leave the Lido one side smoking and one side not, have 1 or 2 bars for smoking, and maybe a dedicated "smoking lounge" like someone else suggested as airports have and ban smoking on the balconies.

As a smoker, even I don't want to go into a 'dedicated' smoking room like at the airports. I'm afraid I'll walk out of there with a yellow tint. They're disgusting. You don't even need to light up. Take a few breaths and you're good.

As far as people smoking on their balconies more out of spite, I wouldn't say it's spite. If I'm more limited to where I can smoke in the public areas I am going to smoke more in my private area. Nothing spiteful about it. If I'm out on my balcony, I will be smoking on my balcony.

Most smokers don't have an occasional cigarette when it's just convenient. It's a need, an addiction. Non-smokers need to understand that most smokers, note I say most, are not vengeful, spiteful idiots. I don't intentionally blow my smoke in your face but sometimes if I am smoking in a smoking area and I blow my smoke out, it may be aimed at you. Sorry. I'm in a smoking area. It's the choice of blowing directly into the person I'm facing or turning my head and you may be walking past me at that time.

I book a balcony room because I like balcony rooms. I like to get my room service coffee in the morning and sit out there and drink and smoke. I like to sit on the balcony and smoke while my spouse showers. I like to smoke out there before dinner. I like to smoke out there before bed. I might even go out there in the middle of the night if I'm restless with my kindle and smoke and read. I'm not doing it to be spiteful to my neighbors. It's what I am. I am a smoker.

If Carnival bans smoking on the balconies I will probably book the cheapest room I can get. And then all the other passengers had better watch out cuz then I'll be up on deck in my bathrobe and pj's with my morning cup of coffee and my cigarette and that ain't gonna be a pretty sight for anyone!:eek: (lol, just kidding, I wouldn't subject anyone to that).

Then Carnival is going to get even more complaining from the non-smokers, especially if some of the smokers truly do what they say they will do, and smoke MORE on their balcony just out of spite for Carnival limiting smoking areas on the ship.

That is exactly my point. All of the complaining by anti-smokers has lead to more concentration of the smokers and hence, the smoke. What will this bring? More complaining.

As a smoker, even I don't want to go into a 'dedicated' smoking room like at the airports. I'm afraid I'll walk out of there with a yellow tint. They're disgusting. You don't even need to light up. Take a few breaths and you're good.

As far as people smoking on their balconies more out of spite, I wouldn't say it's spite. If I'm more limited to where I can smoke in the public areas I am going to smoke more in my private area. Nothing spiteful about it. If I'm out on my balcony, I will be smoking on my balcony.

Most smokers don't have an occasional cigarette when it's just convenient. It's a need, an addiction. Non-smokers need to understand that most smokers, note I say most, are not vengeful, spiteful idiots. I don't intentionally blow my smoke in your face but sometimes if I am smoking in a smoking area and I blow my smoke out, it may be aimed at you. Sorry. I'm in a smoking area. It's the choice of blowing directly into the person I'm facing or turning my head and you may be walking past me at that time.

I book a balcony room because I like balcony rooms. I like to get my room service coffee in the morning and sit out there and drink and smoke. I like to sit on the balcony and smoke while my spouse showers. I like to smoke out there before dinner. I like to smoke out there before bed. I might even go out there in the middle of the night if I'm restless with my kindle and smoke and read. I'm not doing it to be spiteful to my neighbors. It's what I am. I am a smoker.

If Carnival bans smoking on the balconies I will probably book the cheapest room I can get. And then all the other passengers had better watch out cuz then I'll be up on deck in my bathrobe and pj's with my morning cup of coffee and my cigarette and that ain't gonna be a pretty sight for anyone!:eek: (lol, just kidding, I wouldn't subject anyone to that).

Very well put.

has anyone figured out yet that the first and second choices are the same? So the poll is skewed...there is no arguing it.

The correct responses should have been a simple yes or no....

shall we discuss kids on cruise now?

It's not skewed. Just a plain no, an emphatic no or a yes.

On past smoking threads (some of which were deleted) some posters did say they would smoke more on their balcony out of spite. Those are the smokers I'm talking about. The balcony neighbor who does like you do is not who I'm referring to.

I am occasional cigar smoker that has cruised with friends that smoke a good bit so have sat on the lido deck side , I would rather eat outside where people arent smoking but if we are sitting and having some drinks , it doesnt bother me outside. Now in the Piano bar where it is enclosed it tends to bug me.

I personally can't STAND smoking, the smell makes me want to gag, whether it be outside or in. I understand the whole addiction thing, my mother smoked for 30+ years before finally quitting about 15 years ago. But it is the only addiction that can be harmful to the people you are around. Second hand smoke can cause just as many health issues. This is the problem I have with smoking. I know i am going to get bashed and yes I try and stay as far away from smokers as possible but sometimes it is unavoidable.

On past smoking threads (some of which were deleted) some posters did say they would smoke more on their balcony out of spite. Those are the smokers I'm talking about. The balcony neighbor who does like you do is not who I'm referring to.

I totally believe you, I saw that actual statement just the other day and was shocked. I just don't think that's the majority. I'd like to think most of us try to be as respectful as we can.

But if my balcony neighbor were to ask me not to smoke on my balcony... honestly, that's a tough one. I think I would try to accomodate as much as possible but if they're out on their balcony every time I go out there? Not likely.

I believe people have the right to smoke, but I do not believe it should be allowed in public areas. I hate smoke and hate to be around smoking. I don't want to breath it and I don't want to smell like it. I don't want to have to watch were I am walking to not be burned - I have been burned walking through a crowd and bumped into someone with a cigarette and got burned.

I would like to see a designated, out of the way area for smokers. An area where you would not have to go unless you were going to smoke. Maybe a small area on each end of the ship.

I am sure this offends some smokers but this is my oppinion and I am offended many times for having to breath smoke, smell like smoke, etc.

I voted 'NO'.

We just returned from the 'storm' cruise on the PRIDE. It was a bit comical (?) walking throught the main pool area. We found ourselves on the smoking side passing through. Seemed every other table had someone hacking their heads off. We dubbed this 'smoker's row'. Was not pretty.

So glad I'm no longer a smoker. My DH still struggles. To me, being on a cruise would be a great opportunity to try to kick the habit, for those that want to.

I believe people have the right to smoke, but I do not believe it should be allowed in public areas. I hate smoke and hate to be around smoking. I don't want to breath it and I don't want to smell like it. I don't want to have to watch were I am walking to not be burned - I have been burned walking through a crowd and bumped into someone with a cigarette and got burned.

I would like to see a designated, out of the way area for smokers. An area where you would not have to go unless you were going to smoke. Maybe a small area on each end of the ship.

I am sure this offends some smokers but this is my oppinion and I am offended many times for having to breath smoke, smell like smoke, etc.

all public areas?

so you condone a return to smoking in the staterooms?

Amen !!!! I am the same!

Smoking bothers me any time I see it. Whether it is harming me or not it is certainly harming the smoker and anyone else who breathes that smoke. I wish everyone could break that habit. My wife, a smoker for 30 years, broke that habit this year so I know that it can be done. Not ranting, just love my health.

We sit where they tell us to sit, we stand where they tell us to stand, we move 50-100 feet from a doorway, we aren't allowed to sit at one end of the bar, we are no longer allowed to smoke on the patio area at a restaurant.

Why?

Because every time we move into a smaller area, a non-smoker decides they want to sit there too.

I've always said as long as I can smoke on my balcony and a place on the Lido deck, I'm good with not smoking in any of the bars or inside areas on a ship. I've always tried to be a considerate person, a considerate smoker. I think it's time we started complaining as loudly we can. I have a feeling that our side of the Lido decks will be a goner by the end of 2012, and our balconies by the end of 2013, which will be the end my cruising. :mad:

Archived