Oasis Class ship OR Balcony cabin?

Ever since the launch of Oasis and Allure of the Seas, I have wanted to cruise on one of them, and everything I read here seems to say they are pretty fabulous! DH's vacation schedule has just been finalized. He has a week in Feb and does NOT want to stay home and watch the snow fall, so now we have the fun of picking a cruise.

We have visited St Thomas and St Maarten several times, and are not terribly enthused about seeing Cozumel or Georgetown again. We had our first balcony cabin last cruise and I absolutely LOVED it, but balconies on AOS and OOS are just not in our budget. Sooo, here's where I hope you will offer some wisdom.

Are the Oasis class ships spectacular enough in your experience to outweigh going back to an interior cabin and the same ol' ports? Not saying the ports are not beautiful... we would still get off the ship and at least take a stroll. Or, would you opt for an older class of ship, a balcony, and a more appealing itinerary? We have been on the Mariner twice, and Navigator once, would like to try something different.

All decisions should be like this one, shouldn't they??? I figure we really can't lose, and I know we are going to have a lovely week, but I hope you will help us make a choice! What would YOU do???

Good to hear... I found our balcony the most satisfying aspect of last cruise, had breakfast on it every day, and spent as little time as possible INSIDE the cabin. On the other hand, DH doesn't care to ever set foot on a balcony. Typical married folk, I guess. 37 yrs and still can't agree - LOL! At least we both like to cruise!

We usually book a balcony cabin. That being said, the Allure and Oasis are really a destination. I was on the Oasis a few weeks after it was put into service and, I can tell you that there is plenty to do on the ship. My DH and I love certain ships and the itinerary really doesn't matter. In my opinion I think that you would have a great time on either of these ships even in an inside cabin. Sailing on this class ship should be experienced by all who want all of the bells and whistles of a floating city. We prefer the Freedom class but I am really glad that I experienced the Oasis. Have fun planning your cruise.

We sailed the Oasis in October and are doing the Allure in April, 2012. They are fantastic ships and when you choose these the vacation is the ship. They are beaytiful and deffinately enough to keep you busy for the week.

I too am tired of the western and eastern itinerary. If you haven't done the southern I suggest trying one of them. Our favorite was the Antigua and Barbados route. The ships sailing out of there will certainly be less expensive and you might be able to get your balcony preference and see new ports at the same time.

One last thing, sailing out of San Juan will problably mean your air fare will be higher but the cruise fare will be lowere. If you put the two together, it will most likely come out to about the same as a sailing out of Florida...

You really have to price the whole package....

And the southern caribbean will be much warmer in February.

We did the Oasis this October and purposely chose Western as it was cheaper and we weren't as interested in the ports. We got off at Labadee (which we do love), walked around at Falmouth and never left the ship in Cozumel (dh and I had been there in Feb and shopped then). We had the BEST time and found TONS to do, including RELAX. I didn't feel like I missed a ton of stuff on the ship because we were in ports and I felt like the cruise lasted longer!

We had a Boardwalk balcony and honestly used the balcony about twice. Is an Oceanview in your budget? I would consider that as I did miss the sea outside my window but given the "secret" decks on the aft of 11/12, you don't have to have your own balcony all the time, use one of those!

The ship can definitely be a destination in and of itself!

It really depends on what you like doing (or think you'd like) on the ship. Oasis is certainly beautiful and there is a lot to do, but if you wouldn't ever (go to the shows, eat different places, zip line, etc etc etc) then it wouldn't be worth it. I waited until I had a balcony price I was OK with on Oasis, but then again, I have a little more flexibility of when I can get away than some others have.

We did the Oasis this October and purposely chose Western as it was cheaper and we weren't as interested in the ports. We got off at Labadee (which we do love), walked around at Falmouth and never left the ship in Cozumel (dh and I had been there in Feb and shopped then). We had the BEST time and found TONS to do, including RELAX. I didn't feel like I missed a ton of stuff on the ship because we were in ports and I felt like the cruise lasted longer!

We had a Boardwalk balcony and honestly used the balcony about twice. Is an Oceanview in your budget? I would consider that as I did miss the sea outside my window but given the "secret" decks on the aft of 11/12, you don't have to have your own balcony all the time, use one of those!

The ship can definitely be a destination in and of itself!

That's a really good point! I had never thought of it, but doing a cheaper week makes sense. If we sail on Oasis or Allure, it will be for the ship, not the ports anyway. :)

One of the best days on my Allure cruise was making the trek to the deck 12 'secret' balcony with my sunscreen and kindle in hand watching everyone being corralled into the security area in Cozumel. I spent the afternoon reading and watching the practices in the aquatheatre while getting a tan.

I'm betting that in April on the Oasis we will do a beach day in Haiti, hop off and do a quick walk around in Falmouth and most likely the same in Cozumel. There's so much to see and do on board it's almost impossible to experience a good chunk of it if you actually get off in port lol

Ever since the launch of Oasis and Allure of the Seas, I have wanted to cruise on one of them, and everything I read here seems to say they are pretty fabulous! DH's vacation schedule has just been finalized. He has a week in Feb and does NOT want to stay home and watch the snow fall, so now we have the fun of picking a cruise.

We have visited St Thomas and St Maarten several times, and are not terribly enthused about seeing Cozumel or Georgetown again. We had our first balcony cabin last cruise and I absolutely LOVED it, but balconies on AOS and OOS are just not in our budget. Sooo, here's where I hope you will offer some wisdom.

Are the Oasis class ships spectacular enough in your experience to outweigh going back to an interior cabin and the same ol' ports? Not saying the ports are not beautiful... we would still get off the ship and at least take a stroll. Or, would you opt for an older class of ship, a balcony, and a more appealing itinerary? We have been on the Mariner twice, and Navigator once, would like to try something different.

All decisions should be like this one, shouldn't they??? I figure we really can't lose, and I know we are going to have a lovely week, but I hope you will help us make a choice! What would YOU do???

We too will be sailing in Feb due to DH's vacation sched. Just spoke w/ TA yesterday to let her know we need a Feb 11 or 12 sailing and we wanted prices for both FOS and either Allure or Oasis. Sailed LOS in past and she is beautiful. We are going for ship, not destination.

Have been to Western & Eastern ports several times, though have never been to Falmouth. One day we will get to Southern. We had an ocean view once and vowed we would always splurge for that bacony......so worth it to us, but for others the cruise in and of it's self is what they enjoy, and room not important.

Our plan is to enjoy the ship and do free exploring and beach access. (except maybe Nachi Cocum if we go to Cozumel :D)

Our destination and ship choice will partially be based on $. If Oasis class is way out of our $ range then I will be happy w/ FOS.

This will be our 2nd RCCL cruise. We weren't able to sail last year due to DH being on military deployment. Many of us can only do this once a year and we all are so deserving of treating ourselves to a little pampering.

Enjoy and happy sailing!!

We had the same issue last month trying to decide. For us we only can pick from Freedom, Oasis, Allure, & Liberty since we want the Royal Enhancements for or 1 & 3 year old & the Nursery for our 1 year old so we can have dinner.

Our choices were a Balcony in Freedom or Inside on Oasis for a little more. We went with the inside on Oasis. Will let you know in 3 weeks if it was the correct choice?

I too am tired of the western and eastern itinerary. If you haven't done the southern I suggest trying one of them.

I have been Eastern and Western three times (maybe four) on two different ships -Mariner and Freedom. I tried Southern two years ago on the Serenade. Although the itinerary was different, I personally did not care for the ship or the itinerary, so I have decided to go Western again next year, but on the Oasis. Since I have been to the islands I decided to go for the ship this time rather than the location. I have also opted for a balcony (my personal preference) I am really looking forward to sailing on this magnificent ship and exploring everything she has to offer.

Good luck in whatever you decide, and I know that you will have a wonderful time :-)

Well, I searched, and searched...and searched some more! We have some choices. We plan to leave home the night of the Feb 3rd or early on the 4th, but prefer a cruise date of Feb 5, as it gives us some wiggle room if flights are delayed. Airfare to San Juan or Florida can be pretty much the same from here, surprisingly.

outtoseacruise - I can't wait to hear how you felt about the Oasis interior. I certainly see why you wanted the facilities and services for your little ones. Have a fabulous trip.

Looks like it is really coming down to the Allure (interior) or FOS (oceanview or balcony) for us. I have to say, after reading all the replies, I will be pretty darned happy with either choice. Maybe DH will have a distinct preference. RCI ships do tend to be destinations in themselves, don't they? I am the planner of all of our trips, and thoroughly enjoy the research and boards almost as much as the travel. Sweet, sweet anticipation!

We love Royal, but tried Celebrity 3 cruises ago and now are alternating our bookings btwn the 2 lines. Thier Solstice class ships are wonderful and the prices lower than Royal for February. I'd take a look at them. But if you're sure you want to stay with Royal for the next cruise, I'd go with Allure/Oasis . There are so many different things to do and see compared to the other ships, that you really do spend less time in your cabin. Whatever you decide, Have a wonderful cruise!!

Well, I searched, and searched...and searched some more! We have some choices. We plan to leave home the night of the Feb 3rd or early on the 4th, but prefer a cruise date of Feb 5, as it gives us some wiggle room if flights are delayed. Airfare to San Juan or Florida can be pretty much the same from here, surprisingly.

outtoseacruise - I can't wait to hear how you felt about the Oasis interior. I certainly see why you wanted the facilities and services for your little ones. Have a fabulous trip.

Looks like it is really coming down to the Allure (interior) or FOS (oceanview or balcony) for us. I have to say, after reading all the replies, I will be pretty darned happy with either choice. Maybe DH will have a distinct preference. RCI ships do tend to be destinations in themselves, don't they? I am the planner of all of our trips, and thoroughly enjoy the research and boards almost as much as the travel. Sweet, sweet anticipation!

Have you joined RCL's Crown and Anchor Society yet? It is a very good loyalty program and you are eligible to join after you have completed one cruise on RCL. Info on enrollment is on the website.

Hope you find a cruise that matches your needs.

We have been to most of the East/West Caribbean islands several times but we are always just happy to go on a cruise and have our favourite spots at the various destinations. :D

Kathy

I have been tentatively looking at a Celebrity cruise, bluecruisin, but hesitant to make that leap. The Solstice on Feb 5 would provide an affordable balcony, and a couple new ports. The ship sounds beautiful, but overall... I keep thinking "Lawn vs Central Park" No zipline (love to try that!) no Promenade, ice shows, etc, etc.

THEN, I think about being able to bring some wine on board and sip it on my balcony. I could learn to like a lawn that we don't have to mow. I do like my wine, not to mention other spirits. Celebrity has a drink package, too, I believe.

Of course, DH doesn't drink wine or anything stronger than diet Pepsi, or care about a balcony. I asked about his preferences in itinerary, cabin, and ship...and his needs are simple, but of little help for a decision...he just cares that the weather is warm, and the budget is not blown! Back in MY court, it seems.

We personally love FOS even though we hope to sail on Oasis. Check FOS because she has been "Oasis-ized" from what I have been told. See if the balcony cabins are in your budget. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Freedom is a great ship and we're doing it again but you really can't "Oasis-ize" any of the other Royal ships. All they really did was put the characters on the ship and now you need to reserve your shows. Like one commenter said, the Oasis and Allure are really the destinations. We did a balcony on Oasis and will do one again on the Allure. I'd recommend a balcony but if it's not in your budget, I'd take the inside just for the experience.

I've been on Oasis and Liberty, which is a sister ship of FOS. I would take the balcony in a heartbeat. The best thing I found about Oasis was the dining options, but FOS has most of them too. I think it really depends on what you want. We went to a few of the shows on Oasis and they were fine, and we appreciated the little cafe with the great sandwiches in Central Park, but I would take a balcony over all that any day. The Oasis was just mammoth! You can't go wrong on either, really.

I like the balcony and I also like the islands more than the stuff on a ship.

Same here which makes Radiance class a great fit for us. It is with great trepidation that we are going to try Mariner in May and hoping it is not too large - but still with balcony. But for the nine sea days a few more ship features might be nice.

Our So. Caribbean cruise last Feb. on Serenade was super port intensive so by the time we returned to the ship we were not looking for more activities. And as noted airfare was exactly same for us for MIA or SJU. And San Juan was so green after a brutally snowy MN winter up to that point - and 101° warmer than at home. :cool:

Archived