QV Queens Grill menus

SALAD MUNCHER

Recently returned from a trip on the QV, Venice to Athens. We dined in the Queens Grill which as far as I was aware during dinner had available an Al La Carte menu to compliment the normal set menu of the day. However on this trip three evenings out of the twelve (i.e. 25%) were 'set menus' with no Al La Carte choices available. The first time was, as always, the first night, although I still don’t see the logic for this. The second time, on the night of the Grills cocktail party, a special set menu was circulated entitled ‘Special Cocktail Menu’ and the third time was the penultimate night when we received a set ‘Farewell Dinner Menu’. Does anyone know whether this is a new policy as when we were on the QV in July this year (again dining in QG) this situation did not arise. Of course the food itself was excellent and I have absolutely no complaints about this but I do think changes to service should be notified to customers in advance, even if it is on day one of the trip.

Recently returned from a trip on the QV, Venice to Athens. We dined in the Queens Grill which as far as I was aware during dinner had available an Al La Carte menu to compliment the normal set menu of the day. However on this trip three evenings out of the twelve (i.e. 25%) were 'set menus' with no Al La Carte choices available. The first time was, as always, the first night, although I still don’t see the logic for this. The second time, on the night of the Grills cocktail party, a special set menu was circulated entitled ‘Special Cocktail Menu’ and the third time was the penultimate night when we received a set ‘Farewell Dinner Menu’. Does anyone know whether this is a new policy as when we were on the QV in July this year (again dining in QG) this situation did not arise. Of course the food itself was excellent and I have absolutely no complaints about this but I do think changes to service should be notified to customers in advance, even if it is on day one of the trip.

I don't think this is anything new. I was in the Princess Grill last October and, similar to what you have described, there was a set menu for embarkation day, plus the night of the Grills cocktail party. I cannot remember what happened the last night.

Perhaps it's a Princess Grill that they're bringing into Queens Grill.

Glad to hear that the food and service in the Queens Grill is excellent.

Had the same experience on both QV trips - 2008 & 2010. Can't recall the specific occasions but on at least 3 of the 12 nights the menu was restricted.

Can't say it bothered me, we were told in advance by the waiter and planned accordingly. Never had a sub-standard meal and there was always a good choice to be honest. Chose other evenings for the a la carte offerings - duck al'orange being the most memorable, both times.

Hello Salad Muncher, You are correct you should have been notified re new changes of the QG menu. Often this is the responsibility of your Butler during your first point of contact (well it was in my case during March/April 20011) at the same as explaining the complicated 'in room dining menu' system.

Non availability of the Al La Carte menu (on first & last evening and Grill party evening) has been in place for some time, it certainly was in place in March of this year.

As I understand it the logic behind this is, 95% of guests arrive into the dining room almost all at the same time, rather than staggerd as on other evenings. ie early on first & last evenings and almost immediately after the grill party (approximately 8.30 pm)

I believe the galley is unable cope or provide a more efficient Al La carte product/service, as these items are prepared individually at the time of receiving the order.

Hope this helps.

Bell Boy:)

There's no a la carte on the night of the Captain's cocktail party, but if you order in advance you can still get anything that you want. Just miss the party and turn up in QG early.

You are onky missing a glass of fizz and the chance to pose for a picture that will cost you $25 if you want it.

Yes, we noticed this on QM2 last Nov. in the Q-Grill. The waiter told us to ignore it if we wished. They were still able to provide the Al a Carte menu if we requested. I think it is done to not overwhelm the staff.

Our experience was pretty much the same as the previous posts. When we were on the Queen Victoria last April, there were some nights when the a la carte menu was not available, but we were informed of that by our waiter and just let him know at lunch what we wanted to have at dinner off the a la carte menu. We even went to the cocktail party and got our choices at dinner with no problem. I guess the best thing to do is ask before hand when only the fixed menu will be offered and plan accordingly.

Our waiters were also able to arrange (via the superb Maitre d'Hotel Raul Lucas) a la carte and off-menu on the evenings in question - providing we ordered at lunchtime!

D

Our experience was pretty much the same as the previous posts. When we were on the Queen Victoria last April, there were some nights when the a la carte menu was not available, but we were informed of that by our waiter and just let him know at lunch what we wanted to have at dinner off the a la carte menu. We even went to the cocktail party and got our choices at dinner with no problem. I guess the best thing to do is ask before hand when only the fixed menu will be offered and plan accordingly.

Cant remember exactly when we got them--the night before or at noon on the day of, for the evening, but they certainly are available at lunch time in the QG from your waiter, which is more than ample time to arrange for a dinner selection.

Menus for that particular day are usually left for QG passengers in their 'post box' during the early morning. However as the trip we were on had 9 port days out of 11 on board, many passengers had already left early to go on trips ashore and quite a few did not return back to the ship until after lunch, meaning that menus for the evening were only actually seen mid to late afternoon. :(

Also meaning that on many days quite a lot of people did not partake of lunch on board....more savings for Cunard!! :rolleyes:

Archived