The best cruise cabins at sea

Bridge Maven

It isn't titled like your thread as the "best" cruise cabins, but rather:

"Most Luxurious Cruise Cabins"

Big difference...and I somewhat agree with the author of the article.

It isn't titled like your thread as the "best" cruise cabins, but rather:

"Most Luxurious Cruise Cabins"

Big difference...and I somewhat agree with the author of the article.

LOP, I equate best cabins with luxury cabins, but I guess not everyone does. In any event, considering all the posts on this board that are so derogatory to NCL, as well as its passengers, I found it interesting that NCL is the only mass market cruise line that was included in this article, written by the editor of cruise critic. BTW, as someone who has sailed on NCL, I agree with her that NCL has some of the best suites at sea.

ASixth's contribution above, really hits the mark regarding the cruise accomodations. After all, passengers on big ships still eat, seek entertainment, and hang with the herd most of the time on a typical cruise ship.

I've often wondered if the biggest, most luxurious cabins, are the ones intended for rich honeymooners, wishful travel agents and writers, advertising, celebrations of very special occasions, or as corporate incentives.

If I wanted to spend the kind of money the lines want for those luxury cabins such as mentioned in the article, I'd use the travel funds for a personal adventure on a yacht. Just writing that, makes me think about the movie "Swept Away".

BridgeMaven, I noticed the author of the article. It was fun to see the article, but CSBrown is not a person familiar to me. I like Cruise Critic, I'm glad CSB had the opportunity to visit the luxurious suites, take photos and write the article.

Maris

ASixth's contribution above, really hits the mark regarding the cruise accomodations. After all, passengers on big ships still eat, seek entertainment, and hang with the herd most of the time on a typical cruise ship.

I've often wondered if the biggest, most luxurious cabins, are the ones intended for rich honeymooners, wishful travel agents and writers, advertising, celebrations of very special occasions, or as corporate incentives.

If I wanted to spend the kind of money the lines want for those luxury cabins such as mentioned in the article, I'd use the travel funds for a personal adventure on a yacht. Just writing that, makes me think about the movie "Swept Away".

BridgeMaven, I noticed the author of the article. It was fun to see the article, but CSBrown is not a person familiar to me. I like Cruise Critic, I'm glad CSB had the opportunity to visit the luxurious suites, take photos and write the article.

Maris

I would assume that CS Brown would be Carolyn Spencer Brown of Cruise Critic. I found it interesting that she did not include the penthouse suite on M class ships. And in my view, cabins without separate bedrooms are not suites, whether or not they are luxurious.

Yes , the author of this article is the editor of cruise critic. I also agree with the poster who thinks the only real suites are the ones with at least a separate bedroom. That is why I consider a sky suite to be just a large cabin.

Yes, I agree.

However, I think of the whole ship as my home while we're at sea.

The public rooms are my living room.

The dining places my dining accomodations.

The pool deck is my yard.

I am offended when I'm told I can't go into a space like the Sky Lounge because "they are setting up for a party". I'm glad all passengers are allowed in Sky Lounge now as long as they stay on the designated side and do not try to go to the Elite area.

Otherwise, I think of the cabin as a place for my personal things, a bed for sleeping and a private wash room. We don't spend much extra time there.

Perhaps that is why we aren't fussy about the cabin. We do want it clean and smoke free. We'd take inside, outside, or suite if the price was right and the ship got us to the places we want to see.

Interesting to note, we've had all of those cabins just mentioned, but we have never had smoke in a cabin (30+ cruises.)

I think of ship cabins the same as sleeping cars on a train -- very small, but they'll do.

Maris

There was a time when I thought a balcony was a waste of money because you didn't spend that much time in a cabin. Then ten years ago the price of a cruise we had booked on Millennium came down so much that we had a choice of getting a large price adjustment or one of the larger balcony cabins (subsequently reclassified as concierge class cabins) for the same price, so we decided to go with the upgrade. During that cruise we decided that we would never cruise without a balcony again and we subsequently turned down an opportunity for a free cruise on Zenith for that reason.

A few years later we took a cruise on Century when they only had balconies for their suites so we tried our first sky suite. I personally found the butler to be more of an intrusion than a benefit, but we loved having the additional space even though I consider a sky suite, or its equivalent on other cruise lines, to be just a larger cabin and not a real suite. Now we rarely book anything that is smaller than a sky suite on Celebrity.

Archived