Are we crazy to not book excursions in advance?

itzmered

We are leaving in three weeks for a B2B on the Caribbean Princess. This is a very port intensive 2 weeks. I have booked excursions either independantly or through Princess in 4of the 10 ports and not sure what we want to do in the rest. I think we will just wing it in several of them and see what is offered when we get of the ship. Are we crazy to do this?

I think you are doing exactly what I would do. You may meet some fellow cruisers on board whom you are happy to share excursions with or you may feel like just doing your own thing in some of the ports. If you decide you want to go with ship's excursion after boarding then you can still go ahead and book it as long as it isn't booked out.

Jennie

We are leaving in three weeks for a B2B on the Caribbean Princess. This is a very port intensive 2 weeks. I have booked excursions either independantly or through Princess in 4of the 10 ports and not sure what we want to do in the rest. I think we will just wing it in several of them and see what is offered when we get of the ship. Are we crazy to do this?
Nope, not crazy. Sounds like you are doing what you want to do, when you want to do it. Just because there are a lot of ports doesn't mean you have to exhaust yourself doing something in each port. Sometimes in the Caribbean, the best tours are the ones found at the port but as always, be careful. :)

On my last cruise, I was surprised to learn from our trivia partners that they had not booked any shore excursions prior to boarding and when they went to book some at the shore excursions desk, they discovered all shore excursions for the entire cruise were already sold out (day two of the cruise). I don't know how often this happens, but apparently it does happen.

As long as you are prepared to do your own thing in the ports or find a local tour (easy to do in the Caribbean), then you should be fine. I enjoy just walking around some of the port towns when in the Caribbean.

If there are excursions you know you are going to want to do, I would go ahead and book them beforehand. Price increases have been known to happen before sailing, and pre-reserving your excursions will lock in the original price if a price increase does happen.

If you have ports that you do not have excursions at but want to have non-Princess tours, I suggest going to the ports of call section of Cruise Critic and finding tour providers that are recommended. Then I suggest contacting the ones you want to book if they are still available when you are in port.

Yes, you can often pick up a tour at the port, but there are two problems with this.

o You have no idea of the quality of the excursion you take. You may get a fabulous guide or one that is a complete waste of your time and money.

o You will likely pay more than if you had arranged this in advance.

If there are excursions you know you are going to want to do, I would go ahead and book them beforehand. Price increases have been known to happen before sailing, and pre-reserving your excursions will lock in the original price if a price increase does happen.

I found that the price of Princess tours went up a few weeks before we sailed. I was glad I booked early. The good thing about Princess is that they don't charge your CC when you book, like some other lines do. And it's easy to cancel an excursion before you board or a day or two before the actual tour.

No, you're not crazy....give yourself a break...a tour each day gets to be exhausting! As someone recommended, I would check the boards here for the ports and see if anyone raves about a particular tour....otherwise I would go with the flow. Have fun!

I didn't book an excursion before one of my first cruises a few years ago, going to Belize, and when I got there, the one I really wanted to go on was sold out (day trip to Ambercayse Cay). I got put on the waiting list and would check every day (the guy at the excursion desk was getting sick of seeing me!) but never made it to the top of the list.

The same thing happened on the CB last year in Bonaire. I have pre-booked a few of the Ports, especially the one in Bonaire, for this years cruise so I don't have to be disappointed. I think you have to look at the time of year and how many ships will be in port as well.

I am actually taking the exact same cruise you are on CB, but in April 2012 and i have already booked all my shore excursions - most independently, a few thru the ship (i think).

My feeling is that i'd rather book early and have my excursions planned out than run the risk of not finding anything to do in port.

Especially with ship excursions, you have nothing to lose by booking excursions early. You can pre-book online and then cancel within 24 hours of the excursion without losing any money. (I think)

But then i'm one of those planner-type people. I am stressed until every little detail is planned out. You might be a much more laid-back type of traveler. To each his or her own.

Enjoy and post a review so those of us who have to wait can live vicariously thru you!

I don't think you are crazy. Probably smart to leave yourself some flexibility. With a 14 day port intensive cruise there may be some days that you want to be foot loose and fancy free. If there is a specific island/s tour/s that you really want to do be sure and book those. Otherwise, I doubt that you would have any issues finding a tour upon arriving at the port. As a matter of fact, you will probably be a bit bombarded by choices.:):)

Archived