Malaga to Alhambra - rental car needed

wblevin

We arrive in Malaga on December 15th. I have booked tickets for the Alhambra and now need a rental car company as close to the port as possible. Any suggestions for car rental company, stops along the way, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

All the usual suspects are in Malaga - Avis, Hertz, Europcar, SixT, National and some local companies such as Crown. All have decently-new, clean & well-maintained cars. I think the closest depots to the port will be around the rail station, but I've never cruised into Malaga.

The airport is out-of-town (surprise, surprise :rolleyes:) & not ideal.

Remember to specify auto if that's what you want, otherwise you'll be given shift-stick. Insist on fuel full/full rather than empty/empty or full/empty, otherwise you risk returning the car with too much fuel & in any case most hire companies will rip you off with their fuel prices.

Two ways to Granada, north then east, or east then north. Both are fast divided highways all the way.

Googlemaps quotes the inland route via the A92 around 1hr 40, 84 miles.

But via the A7 coast road to near Motril, then the A44 under the shadow of the Sierra Nevada to Granada, quoted around 1hr 45, 90 miles is way better:

Much less traffic, probably a shade quicker.

Some sea views

Super mountain views, including snow-capped peaks, though the road is a straight & level gradient &

the snowline is way higher than the road.

The Alhambra is this side of Granada, just a mile or so off the A44 thus no need to mix it with the city's congested freeway system.

Stops?

Either route these are freeways, you'll need to come off the freeway if you want more than a cloned service area.

Returning, mebbe stray off the freeway via Almunecar & La Herradura to get a little flavour of Spain & a seafront beer or coffee.

Or Nerja. 40 mins by freeway to Malaga but allow at least an hour because of Malaga traffic.

The Caves of Nerja are close to the freeway, you may have time for a decent visit, needs about an hour.

The town of Nerja is about 10 mins off the freeway - a super place but traffic can be very slow & parking very difficult, you need a clear 90 mins if its to be worthwhile. Mebbe then stay on the N340 coast road, but no further than Torrox - after that its built-up same-same budget holiday territory and very slow & congested.

The real gem is the trogladyte village of Gaudix (google it) but it's 45 mins the wrong side of Granada.

Give it some thought.

JB :)

We did the Alhambra on an NCL tour from Malaga. It was a pretty good tour, but expensive. I think about $169. However, it included a nice lunch and tour guides at the Alhambra. Gas is almost $8 a gallon in Spain and the drive is long. I got the impression that parking near the Alhambra is not that great.

You might need to rent a GPS to find your way, if you rent a car?

We did the Alhambra on an NCL tour from Malaga. It was a pretty good tour, but expensive. I think about $169. However, it included a nice lunch and tour guides at the Alhambra. Gas is almost $8 a gallon in Spain and the drive is long. I got the impression that parking near the Alhambra is not that great.

You might need to rent a GPS to find your way, if you rent a car?

Hi Papa,

Parking isn't a problem at the Alhambra, huge parking lot, though late-comers without disabilities will be at the back of the lot with up to 10 min walk to the entrance.

Navigation is easy, other than in-town in Malaga which needs a fair degree of care/observation, depending on the location of the rental depot.

OP has already bought Alhambra tickets, & sharing a car or van would be a way of further widening the cost-gap compared to ship's excursion as well as making the trip more fun.

But I think the vast majority of folk, like yourself, opt for the simplicity of using ship's tours.

Regards, JB :)

http://www.malagacar.com/uk/car-hire/quote.php

Try the above link. Used this in October.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Always good to hear a personal recommendation, haven't hired from them so I checked them out - but the terms & conditions are in spanish, so I kinda gave up ;)

But it looks like they only offer rentals from the airport.

I've used several airport-based companies over the years, no problem with any of them - other than the "stealth charges" that have been creeping in, hence my warning to the OP about fuel, & hence my abortive attempt to check the terms of malagacar.

I checked Crown's website (AurigaCrown), they have a depot reasonably handy to the port, near the rail station at Calle Mendívil, 12, Málaga, their terms are in english, their fuel policy is fair for short rentals.

If requested, full no-quibble indemnity for all eventualities adds about 25 euros to any hire - even one day's hire. That would double the total rental cost, but no security deposit required, no liability for existing but un-noticed damage when accepting the car, no need for inspection when returning the car, peace-of-mind. I've taken out that full insurance with them for longer rentals, when the cost-per-day has been lower.

http://en.aurigacrown.com/car-rental/car-rental-málaga-renfe_AGR.html

Doubtless other convenient companies, with google's help

Thank you all for your help!! I was able to get a car that is a bit more expensive, but they will deliver to the pier and pick up from the pier for 10 Euros each way - a bargain IMO to not have to worry about the logistics and time picking up and dropping off.

http://rentacarprima.com/html/sea-port-rent-a-car-malaga.html

deliver to the pier and pick up from the pier for 10 Euros each way - a bargain IMO to not have to worry about the logistics and time picking up and dropping off.

Add €10 e/w for a car at the pier :)

Can't see anyone arguing about that value :)

Have a good one

This thread got my interest since we will be in Malaga late next April for a very long port day. About 15 years ago we spent a month in this part of Spain and would certainly prefer a rental car to a "cattle car" excursion. We looked at the train station location and figure its about 1 1/4 miles from the port or an easy 30 min walk. So DW and I are debating whether its worth the extra 20 Euros to get a car delivered...but love knowing its an option.

I should also mention that we spent 2 nights staying inside the Alhambra where they have an amazing Parador. In the mornings we would have breakfast on a patio that looked out at the Generalife which is quite a view. For those who have never been to Alhambra it is well worth the trip. Keep in mind that if you are going on your own you really need to buy your tickets in advance (online). One minor hassle is they only sell tickets are either morning (8:30 - 2) or afternoon (2 - 6 or later). That morning ticket is a bit of a problem for cruise ship passengers who might not be able to get to Granada until after 10am because of the distance.

Hank

This thread got my interest since we will be in Malaga late next April for a very long port day. About 15 years ago we spent a month in this part of Spain and would certainly prefer a rental car to a "cattle car" excursion. We looked at the train station location and figure its about 1 1/4 miles from the port or an easy 30 min walk. So DW and I are debating whether its worth the extra 20 Euros to get a car delivered...but love knowing its an option.

Hank

We walked from the port to the station. It is about 30 minutes, and not difficult to find or steep or whatever. On the way back we got stuck in impressive road works, and had to jump in a taxi and tell the driver to step on it to make it back to the ship in time. It is just more hassle and takes at least an hour of your day to go to the station and back than have the car delivered.

We walked from the port to the station. It is about 30 minutes, and not difficult to find or steep or whatever. On the way back we got stuck in impressive road works, and had to jump in a taxi and tell the driver to step on it to make it back to the ship in time. It is just more hassle and takes at least an hour of your day to go to the station and back than have the car delivered.

Good Point. Our ship will be in port from 7am until 11 pm and we are really scratching our heads about how we want to spend the day. There are quite a few interesting places within driving distance of that port and its hard to choose. Do we go back to Granada and the Alhambra (we did love the place), or perhaps head up to Ronda. So many choices and so little time :). It just makes me realize that we were wise to have spent a month driving around that part of Spain. Love it!

Hank

Good Point. Our ship will be in port from 7am until 11 pm and we are really scratching our heads about how we want to spend the day. There are quite a few interesting places within driving distance of that port and its hard to choose. Do we go back to Granada and the Alhambra (we did love the place), or perhaps head up to Ronda. So many choices and so little time :). It just makes me realize that we were wise to have spent a month driving around that part of Spain. Love it!

Hank

Hi, Hank

11pm sailing is a big big bonus.

I know you're happy to rent a car.

Guessing you've already been to Ronda - if not, then out cross-country via Borgos & back by the twisty A397 descent (superb views) to pick up the main A7 near Marbella. Mebbe extend beyond Ronda to the untourisy white villages such as Olvera.

Or Nerja if you've not been there, or the hills behind Nerja - Frigiliana & Competa but the roads are quite poor, not a good place to drive after dark.

Or the trogladyte village of Gaudix (google it) - about 40 mins beyond Granada, mebbe call in at the Alhambra on the way back - no need to pre-book to look round the gardens & castle.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, Hank

11pm sailing is a big big bonus.

I know you're happy to rent a car.

Guessing you've already been to Ronda - if not, then out cross-country via Borgos & back by the twisty A397 descent (superb views) to pick up the main A7 near Marbella. Mebbe extend beyond Ronda to the untourisy white villages such as Olvera.

Or Nerja if you've not been there, or the hills behind Nerja - Frigiliana & Competa but the roads are quite poor, not a good place to drive after dark.

Or the trogladyte village of Gaudix (google it) - about 40 mins beyond Granada, mebbe call in at the Alhambra on the way back - no need to pre-book to look round the gardens & castle.

Hi JB, Long time no talk :). We were in Southampton last spring (for a long port day on the Rotterdam) but were met by friends from Brighton...so you were spared! Yes, we have been to Ronda (spent 2 nights at the Parador located right in town) and loved having dinner overlooking the gorge. Also spent several days in Nerja (stayed at the wonderful Parador located on a cliff overlooking a beach (and they had a glass elevator down to that beach) and it is one of our favorite places in the south of Spain. But, you got my interest with the Gaudix reference since we have never been to that place :)

Hank

Archived