Iron or Steamer question

phinn

On Celebrity they will confiscate an iron if you try to bring one on board. I read that Holland America "discourages ironing in your stateroom". Is there a place one can iron and will they allow you to bring one on board or will they confiscate it as well. Not trying to be sneaky, just want to be informed for upcoming cruise.

On Celebrity they will confiscate an iron if you try to bring one on board. I read that Holland America "discourages ironing in your stateroom". Is there a place one can iron and will they allow you to bring one on board or will they confiscate it as well. Not trying to be sneaky, just want to be informed for upcoming cruise.

I know you're not supposed to take or use an iron or a steamer on any HAL ship. Would they confiscate one? Not sure. Guess it would depend on whether or not they actually saw one when they ran your bags through the x-ray machine. Before we knew you shouldn't use a steamer we carried one on several cruises and never had a challenge or issue. There are few ships, the R and S class ships, that have laundry rooms and I believe irons and ironing boards. The larger ships, the Vista and Signature class, don't have self-service laundry so no irons or ironing boards. Since it looks like you'll be on the Westerdam, which is a Vista class, there'll be no self-service laundry or iron/ironing board available. Of course, there is the ship's laundry service available for a fee.

Is there a place one can iron and will they allow you to bring one on board or will they confiscate it as well.
No place on the Westerdam. I would hope that a steward who sees one would report it and have it confiscated, but I will admit that I've never read about it happening.

I remember reading somewhere on here that someone had one confiscated. On the Vista and Signature class ships, there aren't any laundrettes...but it's not that expensive to have something pressed if need be...and you can always hang it in the shower to be "steamed". :cool:

I can take the high waves and the big rollers and viruses but the thing that would scare me the most would be fire on the ship!!! Already had one occasion when the alarms went off and we evacuated our smoky room at 4:30 a.m. Luckily it was just smoke! Who cares about wrinkles.

there is a reason why no irons are allowed!!!!!!

For starters the wiring in the cabin cant support the amps and load that an iron would bring. It also would pose a serious fire hazard by over loading the circuits in all of the wiring in the area of your cabin and at the very least blowing the electricity to others cabins not just yours. Then there is the heat and the stability of a hot object on a rolling ship with no ironing board ( what were you planning to use?)

Use the excellent and cheap wash and ironing service $7 a day... thats like the cost of 2 drinks per day. cokes !!!

I also don't bring my crock pot, waffel iron, blender, george forman grill, and my wormdrive skill saw and pretend I am on vacation.

I have a small travel iron, and a couple of years ago, our room steward saw it sitting out in plain view, and said something to the effect, please I take what you need to be pressed, but no use iron. I took that to mean, don't iron in the cabin.;) I've always found there to be plenty of steaming hot water aboard ship, so after unpacking, I run the shower with hot water only, and hang what needs pressing on the retractable clothes line in the bathroom, or where ever else I can hook a hanger (not the fire sprinkler head), close the door, and let the clothes steam for ten minutes or so. Does the trick every time. I also stop at a supermarket near the port, and pick up a spray jug of Wrinkle Release to take care of any stubborn spots as I find them. :)

Reading this latest post and searching other posts on the site, I am not sure I understand whether or not you are allowed to have a small travel steamer on HAL ships or not. I totally understand the ban and safety issues with irons and would never bring one on board (and actually would never want to iron on a vacation). But I am not understanding the safety issue with small steamers. Does anyone have any recent experience on HAL? I also searched the HAL website and I can't find any reference to steamers being banned items. :confused:

I agree Bajacali, I am not planning on breaking any rules or putting anyone in harms way by risking a fire, it is just confusing when I read on H/A site that I should not iron in my cabin as opposed to being told irons are on the list of "not allowed on board". I too, have a small steamer and question myself if that is okay to bring on board. I have no problem using the laundry service nor do I have a problem packing more clothes than I need. (I seem to do that quite well)

Since I am not familiar with H/A ships I came here for the answer. I appreciate all the feedback CC gives me because it is through this site that I already feel like I know the ship I am going on before I even get to the pier.

Thanks again!

I wish HAL would put something on it's website with respect to steamers. With respect to it being a fire hazard and cabins not being wired for it, it is sort of hard to believe. I'm sure I read a while back on the Celebrity board that a posters DH is an engineer and that this isn't true. I'd like to know how it differs from a curling iron or a hair dryer.

I wish HAL would put something on it's website with respect to steamers. With respect to it being a fire hazard and cabins not being wired for it, it is sort of hard to believe. I'm sure I read a while back on the Celebrity board that a posters DH is an engineer and that this isn't true. I'd like to know how it differs from a curling iron or a hair dryer.

It's kind of embarrassing to say this but after I was fully and completely convinced that steamers were not allowed I can't find an official HAL document actually saying that. I know that at least a couple of regulars here have talked/emailed HAL about steamers and were told that they were not allowed and I certainly believe them but where is it actually laid out? That's not to say we're going to go back to carrying our steamer and, in fact, I'm not even sure where it is as we'd pretty much stopped carrying it for any travel. Just curious now......

I'd like to know how it differs from a curling iron or a hair dryer.
One difference with the ship's hair dryers is that they run on 220 volts. Since power = volts x amperes, for a given wattage when you double the voltage you cut the current draw in half. But then personal hair dryers that run on 110/115 are alllowed ... :confused:

One difference with the ship's hair dryers is that they run on 220 volts. Since power = volts x amperes, for a given wattage when you double the voltage you cut the current draw in half. But then personal hair dryers that run on 110/115 are alllowed ... :confused:

Maybe it's just a case that HAL, and other cruise lines for that matter, are trying to cut the potential for a fire while understanding there's no way they can eliminate every personal grooming item. I look at all the stuff we carry now and it's multiplied several times over the years. We have to charge our laptop, iPads (2), cell phones (2), noise cancelling headphones (2), camera batteries (3), electric toothbrushes (2), and then we have my wife's hair dryer and curling iron. It's no wonder that if anything, and it happens from time to time, trips us up at airport security it is all the electronics we have in our carry-ons.

I called HAL and was told that small travel steamers WERE allowed. I purchased one from Bed, Bath and Beyond ("My Little Steamer Mini Go" for $24) and we used it on a recent trip aboard the Eurodam every day. I kept it out on the desk and it was never removed nor were we ever told to not use it. It worked perfect.

I called HAL and was told that small travel steamers WERE allowed. I purchased one from Bed, Bath and Beyond ("My Little Steamer Mini Go" for $24) and we used it on a recent trip aboard the Eurodam every day. I kept it out on the desk and it was never removed nor were we ever told to not use it. It worked perfect.

Well now isn't that a fine kettle of fish. It's interesting how we can call or email HAL and get such different answers. I'm not questioning Mike at all, just commenting on the phone roulette one sometimes plays with HAL. Indeed Mike's experience is consistent with HAL's printed policy as steamers are not specific called out as a prohibited item or at least I can't find it.

Thanks Mike for the information. I will call HAL as well before I go. I have never even used a steamer but some friends bought a travel sized steamer for me as a surprise pre-cruise gift so thought I would take it with me. I have no problem if they are not allowed. I just don't want my luggage delivery to our cabin delayed due to having an item that is not allowed. I searched the HAL website again and I can't find anything on steamers. I can't even find reference to irons being prohibited.

Archived