NCL Jewel - Noise

jemrtt

I am booking a GTY balcony cabin on the Jewel, but I am concerned that we may be assigned to one on deck 8 above the theater. Has anyone had any problems here? Sometimes I take a late nap around 8pm. So will I be affected by the noise from the shows if we get one of these cabins

I guess the answer is...if you care much about where your cabin is, don't book a guarantee!!

However, lots of people book cabins without any regard to what is around the cabin, so you may actually get a more desirable cabin than one of those passengers, even with a guarantee.

I would think that any cabin that is above the theater will hear theater noises, given the sound level of the shows. Most likely the noise would be the lower frequencies, like a drum beat.

Ear plugs are cheap and effective, so just to be safe, grab some before you leave home and put them in your carry-on (good for airplanes, too)

We stayed in a balcony on deck 8 on the Gem over the theater and never had a problem with noise. It was one of those that has the partial metal enclosure and since it was February and leaving from NYC, it works out great. It really cut down the wind and cold when we were farther north.

From the forum posts I've read so far it seems that it's the cabins BELOW public places with heavy transports such as theatre and cafeteria that might have the noise problem, not above. Having said that, agreed with what the previous posters said, spend a few dollars more to pick-your-own-cabin, particularly if you are on a long cruise (say 3+days), or bring-your-own-earplugs.

Our last two cruises were balcony cabins on the Jewel and I would have preferred the noise of chairs, etc. to the drunks and screaming kids on either side of our cabin on both cruises. There was no quiet time to be had on our balcony - kids in the afternoon and drunks at night.

I wouldn't worry until your cabin is assigned or you get within a few weeks of leaving. You can almost always upgrade to a non-gty cabin after your cabin is assigned or you get close to leaving.

On our next cruise, we've moved three times through different gty cabins.

Archived