Advice for first timers

janiss815

Hi, we will be cruising on the Liberty in April 2012 and we cannot wait! We are a family of 4 (kids are 5 and 9). We have cruised with Norwegian and Holland America in the past with the kids. Can you give us any advice and what we can expect from Carnival? We will be going on the western Caribbean cruise leaving Miami to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman. Thanks!!!

Hi, we will be cruising on the Liberty in April 2012 and we cannot wait! We are a family of 4 (kids are 5 and 9). We have cruised with Norwegian and Holland America in the past with the kids. Can you give us any advice and what we can expect from Carnival? We will be going on the western Caribbean cruise leaving Miami to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman. Thanks!!!
Carnival is very family oriented. Camp Carnival is an industry leader and well respected. The Liberty is a GREAT ship that has just had major improvments. We have sailed her 4 times. Belize is a port with a long tender ride, and also one where you really need to do a ship based excursion. Enjoy your cruise! Let us know your thoughts when you return.

The Liberty is a large ship with a layout that some people find confusing at first. I would start exploring the deck plans on carnival.com and also read through the FAQ section. It will give you a lot of really great information about Carnival in general and what to expect pre/during/post cruise.

The Camp Carnival program is award winning and I hope you will let the kids participate. You do need to go on the 1st evening for the orientation and/or registration. There is a great arcade on the ship and the kids will love the water slides and stuff.

If your kids are like most and love Pizza and Ice Cream those items are available 24 hours a day on the Lido deck. Room service is also available 24 hours a day and is free but you should tip the delivery person a few dollars depending on how much was ordered.

There are laundry facilities available on board it's $3 per machine. They also have pay laundry available and mid week will have a special for $15 per bag. I can usually get 3 outfits in the bag if I roll the items.....it really saves on how much to pack.

There will be 2 elegant evenings where people dress a little nicer but don't necessarily wear formal wear......the 1st one is when they serve the lobster......you can order as much as you want in the MDR and if you don't like something just send it back and order something else.

The MDR is open for breakfast everyday and for lunch on sea days....I prefer that to the crush of the Lido buffet.....The sushi on the Promenade during the evening is free, as is the deli on deck 9........There is a fabulous steakhouse that you and your husband might want to enjoy for a $30pp charge, but well worth it....you can leave the kids in camp that evening.....

And don't miss out on miniture golf on deck 11........

Have a blast, but study those deck plans..........

The Liberty is a great ship. We had wonderful service when we sailed in 2009. You will surely enjoy yourselves.

Ideally, arrive at port at around 11:00. Give the porters your luggage. You can get onboard and have lunch right away or choose to explore a bit and have lunch later.

Something we enjoy is ordering room service for the next morning (there is a door hanger in your room that you fill out and put on your doorknob when you go to bed). Make sure you order everything you need (3 cream for your coffee, etc.) You will get exactly what you order. Room service is part of the cruise price. Just tip a dollar or two. If you like smoked salmon and cream cheese on your bagel, I would definitely recommend that.

Room service is 24 hours, so if you order a late night snack, the roast beef and brie sandwiches are yummy, as are the BLTs. The brownies are to die for.

On sea days, they have afternoon tea at around 3:00. Tasty little sandwiches and pastries. This is complimentary also.

If you want to see any of the menus, check out thi sight:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/menus/CarnivalCruiseLineMenus.htm

Here also is a site where you can look at pictures of the Liberty.

http://www.beyondships.com/

Well, I hope this has helped. Enjoy your time with your family!!!!

Sign the kids up for Camp Carnival and check the fun times as to when the meet and greet is the first night! There are some family-friendly shows if you want some family time together on sea days. Stay away from the temporary tattoo stand on the lido deck, I heard it's very expensive. Check the fun times for movies on the stars at night on the lido deck, grab a chair and some popcorn, too! Don't forget the free soft serve ice cream and someone told me to make your own shakes by grabbing a few boxes of milkfrom the buffet (even chocolate milk) and mixing it with the ice cream. Save yourself alot of money on milkshake purchases on the ship!

In Cozumel, we did Mr. Sanchos. It's great for kids and an all-inclusive for kids and adults, and they have special pricing for kids versus adults so they can drink non-alchoholic drinks all day why the grown up drink mixed drinks. We ddi the all-inclusive but you also can go there for free and just order what's off the menu. The bouncy toys in the water cost an extra $12 each for the wristband. The all-inclusive you can order anything and everything on the menu and drinks except lobster.

In Belize, it's tough finding things to do at that age. Probably a trip to the zoo. Whatever you do, make it a Carnival excursion. It's pretty dangerous to go off on your own in Belize City, especially with kids.

In Roatan, go to Tabyana Beach or stay at Mohagany Bay, just make it a beach day. I spoke to a woman at Tabyana Beach who had an 8 year old daughter and 3 year old boy and she wished she just went to Tabyana rather than the Tabyana/Gumbalinba park combo. She said her kids enjoyed just being at the beach and you're only in port a few hours so it's nice that you can relax and they can play at the waters edge.

In Grand Cayman we did stingray city because that's the thing to do at least once in GC. Other than that, again you could just go to the beach. I can't see you dragging kids around shopping in port.

Everyone one has given you great advice so far. We had the same itinerary last year.

In Grand Cayman I highly reccomend Stingray City, we did it through Moby Dick Tours and they were great. The only thing we did not like was the restaurant they suggested after the tour, but otherwise it was a great excursion.

We just went to Mahogany Bay, and it was nice and relaxing, although they ran out floats to rent.

In Belize, we tried to just do our own thing, it was a very disappointing day. I would definitely plan ahead on this stop.

We have been to Cozumel twice and both times we have gone to Paradise Beach, you can spend as little or as much as you want there. It is free to go, but chairs are $2 (I think) and then the use of water toys is $12. Food and drinks are available. It does get crowded at times. They have a pool there too. We are going to Cozumel again in January and this time I think we will do something else because my kids are 19 and 23, so they have other interests now.

Thank you ibcnusoon and cruisinatdawn for the info on the ports. I hadn't given what we'll be doing at the ports much thought so you've given me valuable information. It will be our first time in each of those places so I definitely want to make the most of it.

I hadn't realize Belize wasn't the safest of places...I had visions of black sand beaches for some reason but other than that it didn't occur to me that I should plan ahead for this...so thank you! It was definitely good to know that Belize will be a long tender!!!

I can tell you that in Cozumel I would NOT get a cruise tour. Cozumel is so easy to get around in by Taxi. We took a taxi to Chankanaab Park. We printed discount coupons for the park at home. When we got there we just purchased the tickets with the coupon without any problems. (Just like at a local fun park in the states). Had a great time, and when you're done there are plenty of Taxi's right outside to take you back to the port.

The Camp Carnival really is great. My kids loved it.

Archived