Blackstone Bay vs. Ester Passage

CaribQween

I've read a lot of posts regarding boat tours in Prince William Sound but couldn't actually find something that answered my particular question. We are going to do a Prince William Sound boat tour in Whittier. However, we are not sure whether to do the Blackstone Bay tour which is shorter (approximately 3.75 hours) or the Ester Passage 26 glacier tour (approximately 5 hours) that takes you through Ester Passage to Surprise Glacier, etc. Can anyone tell me the big difference between the two since they cover completely different areas? Does one give you better wildlife viewing opportunities? I actually called the company itself and the representative couldn't tell me. We will also be doing the Kenai Fjords full day (7.5 hour) boat tour with Major Marine in Seward. We're just trying to make sure we have a good opportunity for both glacier viewing and wildlife viewing even though we understand that nothing is guaranteed when it comes to wildlife. Thanks in advance.

I've read a lot of posts regarding boat tours in Prince William Sound but couldn't actually find something that answered my particular question. We are going to do a Prince William Sound boat tour in Whittier. However, we are not sure whether to do the Blackstone Bay tour which is shorter (approximately 3.75 hours) or the Ester Passage 26 glacier tour (approximately 5 hours) that takes you through Ester Passage to Surprise Glacier, etc. Can anyone tell me the big difference between the two since they cover completely different areas? Does one give you better wildlife viewing opportunities? I actually called the company itself and the representative couldn't tell me. We will also be doing the Kenai Fjords full day (7.5 hour) boat tour with Major Marine in Seward. We're just trying to make sure we have a good opportunity for both glacier viewing and wildlife viewing even though we understand that nothing is guaranteed when it comes to wildlife. Thanks in advance.

My wife worked as crew for one of these companies and always preferred the longer Esther Passage/Barry Arm trip simply because there was more to see. Your chances for wildlife were greatly enhanced by going across Port Wells (often saw whales, otters, and orca) and up through the passage where they had sightings of bald eagles, bear, and orca. Surprise Glacier is fairly active as well.

FYI - the Blackstone trip is also outstanding but you simply don't go as far. Still, Blackstone, Tebinkoff, and Northland glaciers are impressive and you usually see otters.

Quite simply, both are great. Be sure to dress in layers since you never know what the weather will be. I hope this helps:)

Chenega, thank you for your answer. We were wondering about the same thing the OP asked, and we ended up choosing 26 Glaciers because of the length and area covered. We are going too early to do the longer Major Marine tour that goes to Surprise Glacier, so the 26 Glaciers cruise worked out perfectly. I'm glad you like it.

Thank you so much for the reply. It really does help us with our decision. It sounds like the 26 glacier tour through Esther Passage will give us more viewing time for glaciers as well as a better chance for wildlife viewing. If we can only fit in one tour in PWS, we'll probably go with it. However, maybe we'll figure out how to fit in both ;). This will be our first time to Alaska and we can't wait.

Archived