A Surprise Engagement On The Victory!! 11/6/11 Review

soulsistah007

065.jpg

067.jpg

068.jpg

When we got back, we relaxed and went for dinner. Tonight we had a great server named Marcin. So good that bf thought it was strange that he greeted us by name. This didn’t happen on our Liberty cruise. Marcin joked that he got bf’s name from the Captain so bf thought it was because we brought in alcohol. He got so nervous lol. Turns out Marcin presented bf with a cake to celebrate his bday which was a couple days prior. Of course, along with that was the off key singing lol. We then went to see the Legends Auditions. This we really enjoyed as the rest of our fellow cruisers had some really good talent! We left after 45mins and went to see the adult comedy show with Hank McGauley. His set had us laughing non stop! We stopped off at the dance club and then went to sleep.

Our first towel animal:

069.jpg

Up next: Day at Sea and Proposal!

Congratulations!!

Enjoying your review, hopefully one day we will sail out of San Juan !!

Delta your proposal was as romantic as mine... "So you want to get married ?" lol ok this was 3 days after we met !! :eek: Met on Feb 12th, went out for dinner for my birthday on the 13th, went out for dinner for valentines day and the next day he asked me. I honestly believe there is someone out there for everyone!! This May we will be celebrating our 25th anniversary :D We also had a small no frills wedding, but the marriage has been awesome!!

Aww...that's cute! Thank you and congratulations on having a fantastic marriage for 25 years and counting! :)

You all are such a cute couple! You remind me of my niece.

Now, look here, young lady... I am anticipating the proposal, so can you give me a hint to which day it was? I have to get off these boards, so I can travel to see "The Whispers " tonight. :) I am trying to stall, hoping you will write about it before I have to pull myself away from this computer. Lol

Seriously, I love the reviews that keep you wanting more. Well done. :D

Edit: I see the proposal is next! I didn't see that line under the towel animal pic at first. Yes!

Glo

Congratulations!!

Enjoying your review, hopefully one day we will sail out of San Juan !!

Delta your proposal was as romantic as mine... "So you want to get married ?" lol ok this was 3 days after we met !! :eek: Met on Feb 12th, went out for dinner for my birthday on the 13th, went out for dinner for valentines day and the next day he asked me. I honestly believe there is someone out there for everyone!! This May we will be celebrating our 25th anniversary :D We also had a small no frills wedding, but the marriage has been awesome!!

OH, I LOVE it ! THREE DAYS ???? Twenty -five years ??? Who'd thunk it !!!

You are a beautiful couple. Love and happiness are evident in your smiles.

Can't wait until the next post. Glad your sweetheart didn't wait until the end of the cruise. Give him a big hug for all of us on CC who are anxious to get on with the story !

Loving your review! Can't wait to read the rest. :)

We're going on that same Jet Blue flight in January flying from Buffalo to San Juan (connecting at JFK) .. it's an ungodly hour to fly out but at least we're in San Juan early afternoon and have more time to enjoy it. I agree that it's so much cheaper flying from Buffalo than Pearson :rolleyes:

Congratulations on your engagement and I am enjoying your review. Put me down for the unromantic proposal, I simply said, let's get married. It was February 3rd, we got married 11 days later for less than $400. Nearly 17 wonderful years ago.

Thanks for directions to Marshalls.

I know, thanks!!! I can't believe I have Marshalls on my list of places to go to in San Juan and 3 FLOORS! LOL, just curious to see what goodies they have on sale there. :p

Lucky OP who has family in each port to show them around!! So excited to hear about your sea day and proposal!

I heard this before on another review. Someone at Carnival needs to do something about the chaos and porter problem in San Juan!

I was on this same cruise and it was ridiculously chaotic but not once did a porter even ask me for money or say how much. I handed him $4 for two bags and walked away. My bags were at my cabin by 2:30 (got there at 1:15).

Oh and RE: Port security...They didn't seemed bothered ONE bit by any alcohol. To be honest, they were more worried about my makeup than anything. He seriously said, "Ma'am do you have bullets in your bag?" I was like, "Ughhhh what? No." Apparently people at the port thought the detailing on my eyeshadow palette looked like bullets. I said, "Funny. TSA didn't question any of that." And he replied, "We have people come here all the time from the airport and it happens?" Made zero sense. LOL I made it through airports without being questioned!!

065.jpg

067.jpg

068.jpg

When we got back, we relaxed and went for dinner. Tonight we had a great server named Marcin. So good that bf thought it was strange that he greeted us by name. This didn’t happen on our Liberty cruise. Marcin joked that he got bf’s name from the Captain so bf thought it was because we brought in alcohol. He got so nervous lol. Turns out Marcin presented bf with a cake to celebrate his bday which was a couple days prior. Of course, along with that was the off key singing lol. We then went to see the Legends Auditions. This we really enjoyed as the rest of our fellow cruisers had some really good talent! We left after 45mins and went to see the adult comedy show with Hank McGauley. His set had us laughing non stop! We stopped off at the dance club and then went to sleep.

Our first towel animal:

069.jpg

Up next: Day at Sea and Proposal!

Wasn't Marcin great!? I had him 5 of the 7 nights and he was honestly the most personable waiter I've had on any Carnival ship. He actually will be leaving ATD and going downstairs in December since he's a Senior Headwaiter and there's only six per ship.

Quick question for those of you that were on the cruise and said they weren't paying much attention to alcohol. How did you carry it on? Just in the bag you bought it in or in a carryon bag? Puerto Rico is the only place I can find my absolute favorite rum and I would LOVE to be able to get a bottle on the ship instead of having to wait and take it home with me. Thank you!

You all are such a cute couple! You remind me of my niece.

Now, look here, young lady... I am anticipating the proposal, so can you give me a hint to which day it was? I have to get off these boards, so I can travel to see "The Whispers " tonight. :) I am trying to stall, hoping you will write about it before I have to pull myself away from this computer. Lol

Seriously, I love the reviews that keep you wanting more. Well done. :D

Edit: I see the proposal is next! I didn't see that line under the towel animal pic at first. Yes!

Glo

I'm getting ready to post it just now...thanks for the great feedback! :) Hope you had a great time seeing The Whispers!!

Loving your review! Can't wait to read the rest. :)

We're going on that same Jet Blue flight in January flying from Buffalo to San Juan (connecting at JFK) .. it's an ungodly hour to fly out but at least we're in San Juan early afternoon and have more time to enjoy it. I agree that it's so much cheaper flying from Buffalo than Pearson :rolleyes:

Thanks! It was definitely great to spend extra time in San Juan and relax. We had some hangups with Jet Blue on the way home so stay tuned!

Wasn't Marcin great!? I had him 5 of the 7 nights and he was honestly the most personable waiter I've had on any Carnival ship. He actually will be leaving ATD and going downstairs in December since he's a Senior Headwaiter and there's only six per ship.

He was absolutely wonderful!! I made sure to let Carnival know in our survey. That was the only night we had him and he was truly the best we had for the whole week! We tried to request him another night but it was a 20min wait for him so we passed.

Also, very funny story about the port security you encountered lol.

Quick question for those of you that were on the cruise and said they weren't paying much attention to alcohol. How did you carry it on? Just in the bag you bought it in or in a carryon bag? Puerto Rico is the only place I can find my absolute favorite rum and I would LOVE to be able to get a bottle on the ship instead of having to wait and take it home with me. Thank you!

For us, it was straight in the plastic bag we got it in. Very easy!

Thank you everyone for your wonderful comments:)

DAY 3 - DAY AT SEA/PROPOSAL

We took the liberty of sleeping in today and heading to the lido deck for breakfast around 9am. It wasn't nearly as packed as I thought it was. The breakfast was your standard carnival breakfast so nothing too special. And there weren't any bacon police either! I did fall in love with the cinnamon buns and apple turnovers :D

After breakfast we went back down to the cabin, gathered our stuff and went back to the lido deck to lounge up there. Chair hogs were in full effect but we finally found seats for 2 so we lounged and watched the mixologist competition and then left to go play trivia, something we loved on our Liberty trip last year. A little back story, bf and I love trivia! Especially Jeopardy lol! During the months we were waiting for our trip, we’d watch the show, play along and say to ourselves “we’re totally gonna win trivia on the cruise”!! The trivia event, however, didn't turn out to be what we expected. What we wanted was the week long trivia competition with other guests where you’re paired off in large teams, you accumulated points throughout the week and at the end, the team with the most points would win. What we got was 10 minutes of 10 questions and answers and the person with the most correct answers won a ship on a stick. Maybe the team trivia isn't done on the Victory because the itinerary is port-intenstive? I dont know, but we really looking forward to it. Little did we know that trivia would end up being part of our engagement proposal…..

We headed back out to the lido, got some lunch and saw a bit of the Hairy Chest competition and then headed to the cabin to relax.

BF was journaling on his laptop and I was reading. We were flipping through channels and came across the tv talk show with our cruise director Karl with a K and some of the other staff. We watched a bit of the dedications and then came the segment where they were giving away prizes (video camera, champagne, ship on a stick, etc). This got bf excited and since we missed out on trivia, this was a good replacement. Karl said a prize would be given to the first person that calls in that knows the answer to particular questions. I immediately ran to the phone. The first two questions, we didn’t know the answers too so I went back on the bed to read. The next question was this: “From Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, name the first dwarf that comes in alphabetical order”. Immediately, I hopped out of bed, dialed and got through!! They asked me who I was, where I was from, the answer to the question and who I was travelling with. This is how the conversation went:

Karl with a K: Who did you travel with?

Me: My boyfriend (insert bf’s name) and my -

Staff: Oooooooooooh how long have you been together?

Me: 2 years. This is our anniversary trip

Karl: Ah let me speak to him

BF: Hello hello

Karl: Hi (bf name), do you have anything to say to your lady?

*bf looks at me like a deer in headlights lol and doesn’t say anything for about a second or 2 and then says “you guys are putting me on the spot. I was going to propose on this trip and even have the ring on the me”.

He gives the phone back to me and gets the ring out of his luggage, takes the phone away from my hand and speaks to me and into the phone, gets down on one knee and says a few words and asks me to marry him. :)

All this time, the crew are saying things but I wasn’t paying attention. I was completely shocked (it was so random!) and so happy! I say yes to bf and we hug and kiss and then I hear “what did she say?” and I remember it’s still live so I tell them I said yes and they say congratulations and that they’ll send us a special gift! Yay! :D

This whole time, I’m floored and so was bf. He was shaking and so I was I. He said that’s not what he had in mind but he wasn’t gonna back down from an opportunity lol. He told me other options he was thinking about proposing –it would have been in St. Kitts as both of our moms and from there, either at the beach, the gangway returning to the ship or in our cabin with rose petals on the bed/floor that day. I said I actually preferred how it was done, because it will always be memorable and at least we would have the rest of the cruise to celebrate and that’s what we did!!

Got dressed up for elegant night, took some pictures and had dinner with my mom and family friend. After the engagement, I went to their room to tell them so tonight ended up being our celebration dinner. They told the staff we got engaged so we were treated to more off pitch singing lol and a piece of cake!!

075.jpg

When we got back to the room, this is what we found:

077.jpg

They didn't have to do that so it was a much appreciated gesture! This ended up being a great day that took us by surprise but a day we'll always cherish.

Later on in the week, we met up with Karl and thanked him. He said he would look into seeing if we could get a video of the proposal but so far, no such luck.

Up next....Barbados!

Yay for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.... so who was the first one? Dopey ? LOL

Was that just random that K asked if your bf had anything to say to you? OMGoodness, if it was, that is amazing.

That is a great story ! I'm glad it turned out to be a surprise for your boyfriend too.... LOL, the best laid plans etc. At least he didn't have to get nervous before each of the other ideas he had.

Archived