Reflections on Radiance 2 day sampler

Now, what about the Sea Princess/Dawn Princess ... how does they compare to Rhapsody/Radiance etc, or are they a bit older and more dated than the others???

Sea/Sun/Dawn Princess are sisters so similar layout and age. They are older, but still kept in good condition. It's more a line difference that RCL is stronger on activities whereas Princess is more refined and doesn't have such a young crowd. Princess' food and service is better than RCL, but you'll find the ships 'quieter', less kids, and late night activities aren't as populated. It really comes down to what sort of things you value most/prefer - I doubt you'd be disappointed at the Princess offering, but you may prefer one over the other.

Any other ships that I should be considering ... Jewel perhaps????

Pacific Jewel? P&O's rating is not as high as the others mentioned, due to for example, service levels and inclusions. Many still enjoy trips on her though - you just don't get as much included as others and its an older design. I wouldn't rule her out but if everything else was the same, I'd likely choose a newer vessel. Being a lower rating though, you'll often get a better deal on a P&O ship, particularly as you mention you're looking at solo cruises where you'll normally pay twin share. It will probably be hard to get as good a deal as you would with P&O, remembering that P&O and Princess are the only ones that don't require tips either.

I too preferred the layout of Rhapsody, but i still liked Radiance.Thankfully i am not a big coffee drinker or i would have been cranky having to wait so long>.

The quest is absolutely hilarious & it certainly pays to leave inhibitions at home..that was the second one i have been in but i think i shocked a few people>..

My favourite would still be Mariner, but am looking forward to trying Voyager next xmas....

Sea/Sun/Dawn Princess are sisters so similar layout and age. They are older, but still kept in good condition. It's more a line difference that RCL is stronger on activities whereas Princess is more refined and doesn't have such a young crowd. Princess' food and service is better than RCL, but you'll find the ships 'quieter', less kids, and late night activities aren't as populated. It really comes down to what sort of things you value most/prefer - I doubt you'd be disappointed at the Princess offering, but you may prefer one over the other.

Pacific Jewel? P&O's rating is not as high as the others mentioned, due to for example, service levels and inclusions. Many still enjoy trips on her though - you just don't get as much included as others and its an older design. I wouldn't rule her out but if everything else was the same, I'd likely choose a newer vessel. Being a lower rating though, you'll often get a better deal on a P&O ship, particularly as you mention you're looking at solo cruises where you'll normally pay twin share. It will probably be hard to get as good a deal as you would with P&O, remembering that P&O and Princess are the only ones that don't require tips either.

You have been extremely helpful, I really appreciate it. You have helped me clarify what I was thinking, really. After your feedbacd, I am leaning towards one of the newer, bigger ships .... Rhapsody, Radiance, Diamond. I was just over-complicating things I think LOL!!! I just need a cruise and a break, so will keep searching for any specials. You watch, now I have selected 3 ships, all the rejected ones will have super specials, just to mess with my head!!

I too preferred the layout of Rhapsody, but i still liked Radiance.Thankfully i am not a big coffee drinker or i would have been cranky having to wait so long>.

The quest is absolutely hilarious & it certainly pays to leave inhibitions at home..that was the second one i have been in but i think i shocked a few people>..

My favourite would still be Mariner, but am looking forward to trying Voyager next xmas....

I'm a tea drinker, so it's pretty hard to mess up a cup of tea ... it can be done, but you have to try really hard!!! Hmmm, Voyager ... that's another one I want to try too.

..... just to mess with my head!!

Hate to confuse you more! but when it comes to finding the perfect 'fit' there is a bit of luck involved if you want to sail with a particular group such as - kids/don't want kids etc. - sometimes it is a little bit predictable by the itinerary and timing and at other times not :eek:. Eg We've sailed the HAL Oosterdam, the ship was jumping on the 7 days down the Mexican coast - friends did Alaska on her and said everyone was in bed by 10pm. (The Oosterdam comes to Australia next year.) Our cruise of Norway on the Grand Princess wasn't quite that quiet at night, but the crew said the immediately previous cruise was often packed out at the various bars and lounges.

If you like a balcony, on the older ships they do most often tend to be smaller. The Jewel? they say you get what you pay for, on this one we got far less. enough said.

Add to your mix that Carnival will be here soon and that will most likely appeal to families and the 'party crowd' more. Celebrity is also coming back with Solstice, she'll be the 'newest' of the ships sailing out of Sydney.

The Radiance will be the 1st ship we've ever sailed on twice, and then Dawn Princess next March for another 2 nighter. Apart from the Jewel we've loved them all in their own way and look at the differences as a new adventure to keep cruising interesting. I just "love cruising" and always enjoy the moment.

The deck BBQ was great!

A pig on the spit with pork spare ribs, chicken wings, sausages,hamburgers, salads and heaps of sweets with fruits.

The bonus was Bianca and I could go in our swimmers.

On sea days I always go the the main Dinning Room for lunch except when there is a pool side function.

Hate to confuse you more! but when it comes to finding the perfect 'fit' there is a bit of luck involved if you want to sail with a particular group such as - kids/don't want kids etc. - sometimes it is a little bit predictable by the itinerary and timing and at other times not :eek:. Eg We've sailed the HAL Oosterdam, the ship was jumping on the 7 days down the Mexican coast - friends did Alaska on her and said everyone was in bed by 10pm. (The Oosterdam comes to Australia next year.) Our cruise of Norway on the Grand Princess wasn't quite that quiet at night, but the crew said the immediately previous cruise was often packed out at the various bars and lounges.

If you like a balcony, on the older ships they do most often tend to be smaller. The Jewel? they say you get what you pay for, on this one we got far less. enough said.

Add to your mix that Carnival will be here soon and that will most likely appeal to families and the 'party crowd' more. Celebrity is also coming back with Solstice, she'll be the 'newest' of the ships sailing out of Sydney.

The Radiance will be the 1st ship we've ever sailed on twice, and then Dawn Princess next March for another 2 nighter. Apart from the Jewel we've loved them all in their own way and look at the differences as a new adventure to keep cruising interesting. I just "love cruising" and always enjoy the moment.

Trust me, it doesn't take much to mess with my head and totally confuse me. I do prefer a cruise without lots of kids, so will keep school holidays etc in mind too. I'm not really a late night person, so that part doesn't worry me ... would prefer a bit of an older crowd to a young, party crowd too ... geez, now I sound boring and old LOL!!!

I started off with a porthole, then went to a window, then a balcony and lastly a mini suite. Travelling solo is making me rethink things and was looking at possibly an inside, but really don't know if I'd enjoy it. I really think I need to at least see some sunlight and what's happening outside (I know they have it on the TV, but it's just not the same).

I'll add Solstice to my wish list too, my list is growing isn't it! I think you are right, I too have never been on a ship that I didn't really love and didn't want to get off ... I just love cruising and can't wait to find my cruise.

Thanks so much - you have been so helpful and have made me see the light at the end of the tunnel. Now, can you please find my cruise for me ... grin!!!

Travelling solo is making me rethink things and was looking at possibly an inside, but really don't know if I'd enjoy it. I really think I need to at least see some sunlight and what's happening outside (I know they have it on the TV, but it's just not the same).

TAMARAH : DON'T DO INSIDE BY YOURSELF - I had an inside on Pacific Dawn 2 day work Christmas cruise in 2009, and just before the cruise my cabin buddy left the company, leaving me all alone in the cabin. Even though I had plenty of friends & colleagues on board, (& the luxury of the cabin to myself) when I closed that door at night it was THE PITS!!!!!

I had an inside on the Radiance this time too, but with a friend to share with, but I DID NOT like having no window to tell when it was morning or to see if it was sunny etc - I guess I'm a Princess in more ways than one :eek: !!!!

PS I'm BOOKED on the Radiance 5 dayer in Feb 2013 :D !!

PPS When are you coming up to Sydney - would love to catch up again?????

Trust me, it doesn't take much to mess with my head and totally confuse me. I do prefer a cruise without lots of kids, so will keep school holidays etc in mind too. I'm not really a late night person, so that part doesn't worry me ... would prefer a bit of an older crowd to a young, party crowd too ... geez, now I sound boring and old LOL!!!

I started off with a porthole, then went to a window, then a balcony and lastly a mini suite. Travelling solo is making me rethink things and was looking at possibly an inside, but really don't know if I'd enjoy it. I really think I need to at least see some sunlight and what's happening outside (I know they have it on the TV, but it's just not the same).

I'll add Solstice to my wish list too, my list is growing isn't it! I think you are right, I too have never been on a ship that I didn't really love and didn't want to get off ... I just love cruising and can't wait to find my cruise.

Thanks so much - you have been so helpful and have made me see the light at the end of the tunnel. Now, can you please find my cruise for me ... grin!!!

Tamarah,I've got the cruise for you:)

Diamond Princess Sept 15th. & 22nd.2012 Our Golden Wedding Anniversary Cruise. We have quite a few ladies travelling Solo:cool:.

Email me, but be quick because it's booking up fast:eek:.

The Roll Call will get much more active after the New Year, wait and see;)

Cheers,

Kathy.

Diamond Princess Sept 15th. & 22nd.2012 Our Golden Wedding Anniversary Cruise. Cheers, Kathy.

Now THERE'S a good idea - Alaska cruise then over to China via Japan & Russia etc - we could catch up then, because I'M BOOKED!!!!!

TAMARAH : DON'T DO INSIDE BY YOURSELF - I had an inside on Pacific Dawn 2 day work Christmas cruise in 2009, and just before the cruise my cabin buddy left the company, leaving me all alone in the cabin. Even though I had plenty of friends & colleagues on board, (& the luxury of the cabin to myself) when I closed that door at night it was THE PITS!!!!!

I had an inside on the Radiance this time too, but with a friend to share with, but I DID NOT like having no window to tell when it was morning or to see if it was sunny etc - I guess I'm a Princess in more ways than one :eek: !!!!

PS I'm BOOKED on the Radiance 5 dayer in Feb 2013 :D !!

PPS When are you coming up to Sydney - would love to catch up again?????

I think I'm the same too . . . as much as I like the pricing of an inside, I don't think I could cope without at least a porthole!!! Let's just hope I find a cruise that is having a sale on window/balcony cabins for solos LOL . . . . I can dream!!

I'l probably be visiting in Feb, but might be coming over before or after when I find my elusive cruise!!! I'd love to catch up too. Will let you know when everything's been decided.

Diamond Princess Sept 15th. & 22nd.2012 Our Golden Wedding Anniversary Cruise. We have quite a few ladies travelling Solo:cool:.

Email me, but be quick because it's booking up fast:eek:.

The Roll Call will get much more active after the New Year, wait and see;)

Cheers,

Kathy.

Oh, I just had a look and that sounds fantastic, but it's a bit hard for me to plan that far ahead due to my dad, at the moment and don't want to be that far away from him. I don't like long flights either, especially by myself, so don't want to go much further than Singapore really, plus it's a bit more than I want to spend, especially when you factor in flights and solo cabin rates. I wish I could though, as it sounds fantastic and I'd really love to catch up with you and celebrate your Golden Wedding Anniversary.

Oh, I just had a look and that sounds fantastic, but it's a bit hard for me to plan that far ahead due to my dad, at the moment and don't want to be that far away from him. I don't like long flights either, especially by myself, so don't want to go much further than Singapore really, plus it's a bit more than I want to spend, especially when you factor in flights and solo cabin rates. I wish I could though, as it sounds fantastic and I'd really love to catch up with you and celebrate your Golden Wedding Anniversary.

Tamarah, look at Jetstar to Honolulu, then domestic flight to Vancouver:)

Anthony also has some great ideas about returning home from China:cool:.

Just book it, you'll have until June to make a final decision, without panalty. Talk to Gai, she'll head you in the right direction;)Think about all the fun you'll have on the Roll Call in the meantime

Cheers,

Kathy

Getting back to the Radiance I've a question someone can maybe answer. Being a mad dancer don't know why I didn't find the time to check this out for myself:confused:

In the 'Cruise Compass' it has that between 9:30 pm and 12:15am there was dance music in the Centrum. How does that work as it is a very small space? Do people actually get up and dance there? I've been told it is a great deal larger on the Rhapsody.

Linda

Getting back to the Radiance I've a question someone can maybe answer. Being a mad dancer don't know why I didn't find the time to check this out for myself:confused:

In the 'Cruise Compass' it has that between 9:30 pm and 12:15am there was dance music in the Centrum. How does that work as it is a very small space? Do people actually get up and dance there? I've been told it is a great deal larger on the Rhapsody.

Linda

It was squishy from what I saw :D

Highlight of the trip for me was certainly the `Quest` game on the last night...must be experienced by everyone :p

Hi Jason & Eric,

We had a ball on Rhapsody last cruise playing "Quest"...it's hilarious :D! Won't want to miss it on our coming Radiance cruise.

Hi Jason & Eric,

We had a ball on Rhapsody last cruise playing "Quest"...it's hilarious :D! Won't want to miss it on our coming Radiance cruise.

You should have seen them! LOL

It was great meeting you guys, even if it was in the queue as we were boarding and you were staying :p

You should have seen them! LOL

It was great meeting you guys, even if it was in the queue as we were boarding and you were staying :p

Same same Debb, it's kool :cool:. Ours is 3 weeks today on her. It was not financially justifiable for this shorty...but I guess, not partying with you lot onboard is the main lost :(. Have converted the refund to a new sailing and got on C&A database for potential future cruises goodwill cabin upgrade.

Just want to confirm for my Dec 18th thread..."No toiletries"??? Is it because it was a short cruise or it's standard for Radiance? I know this is not the case with Rhapsody.

BTW...great reviews & infos, gals & guys.

Same same Debb, it's kool :cool:. Ours is 3 weeks today on her. It was not financially justifiable for this shorty...but I guess, not partying with you lot onboard is the main lost :(. Have converted the refund to a new sailing and got on C&A database for potential future cruises goodwill cabin upgrade.

Just want to confirm for my Dec 18th thread..."No toiletries"??? Is it because it was a short cruise or it's standard for Radiance? I know this is not the case with Rhapsody.

BTW...great reviews & infos, gals & guys.

No toiletries on this shorty - I'm guessing if you were in a suite you would have. On Rhapsody I had a JS and had toiletries, but the kids were in a oceanview and didn't have any?

Hi Jason & Eric,

Hey guys! Radiance`s version of the Quest was far more fun than Rhapsody. We had a ball...fortunately i wasnt the one that had to get dressed up a women so that made it even better :)

Archived