independent tours for beach day

b_bay_girl

I've been to Grand Cayman twice. I know there are independent companies in the cruise port offering excursions, we have done them before, but I wonder if there is one for a beach day. I see many comments on going to the beach in G.C. where reviewers say grab a cab and tell them which beach to take you to but I would feel more comfortable with something organized; maybe include food or a refreshment, etc.

Take a cab or walk a couple of blocks to the local bus http://www.grandcayman4u.com/transport/buses.htm and go to one of the resorts on 7 mile beach. One is "Royal Palms" http://www.reefgrill.net/ There you can rent beach loungers, umbrellas etc. They also have a restaurant to eat at and a pool for adults only. Then grab a taxi or bus back to port when your ready to leave.

Buses will be at the tender dock...get on one and tell them to go to the beach! It's about $2.50 pp...easy, peezy! No excursion or "guide" needed! All of the beaches are public and all access points will have rentals (chair/umbrella and watersport) available, and there are bars/restaurants all up and down the beach. You don't NEED to have a daypass anywhere...everything is so available! Restrooms, too!

Buses will be at the tender dock...get on one and tell them to go to the beach! It's about $2.50 pp...easy, peezy! No excursion or "guide" needed! All of the beaches are public and all access points will have rentals (chair/umbrella and watersport) available, and there are bars/restaurants all up and down the beach. You don't NEED to have a daypass anywhere...everything is so available! Restrooms, too!

To clarify. The beaches are public (up to the high water mark) and there are multiple public access points along Seven Mile Beach. There are three main beach clubs that cater to cruise visitor: Royal Palms (only one with a pool - adults only), Public/Seagrape Beach (Calico Jacks) and Tiki Beach. The facilities do not have an "entrance fee, but chairs and umbrellas are for rent at these locations. Each location has food, beverage, water sports rentals, showers and rest rooms. Hotel and condo facilities are NOT open to the public. Some hotels do offer day passes for sale with which you do get to utilize their facilities.

Also, buses are not located immediately at the tender dock, but a few short blocks away. Only taxis have access to the tender area.

How does Rum Point compare to 7 mile beach? We are thinking of renting a car to see more of the island and heard Rum Point is a beautiful beach. I'd love to hear others' thoughts. Thanks!

Seven Mile Beach vs. Rum Point

Whether you will enjoy Seven Mile Beach more or less than Rum Point depends on what you are looking for in a beach experience.

SMB:

- very long stretch of perfectly flat white sand and gorgeous blue water

- very little natural shade, lots of sun

- very close to the port area, so cheap and easy to get to/from (taxi or public bus)

- close to attractions like the Turtle Farm, Hell, dolphin experiences, rum cake factory

- more developed (major tourist area)

- includes a number of named sections with varying levels of facilities (sections with good free facilities are Royal Palms, Sea Grape and Tiki Beach)

- multiple choices for restaurants and shopping nearby

- access to watersports via multiple operators at the different sections

- couple of sections with okay snorkelling, but most of the beach has no real snorkelling to speak of

- can be crowded in the sections with the better facilities due to proximity to port area

Rum Point:

- smaller beach, more "secluded tropical island" in feeling

- lots of natural shade, less sun

- 45 minute drive from port area, can only be reached via excursion or rental car

- not a major tourist area; surrounded by large vacation homes

- attractions more-or-less on the way there include Pedro St. James castle, botanical gardens, blowholes, cheesy pirate caves

- single company runs the beach and provides excellent free facilities such restrooms, showers, chairs, hammocks, etc.

- only one restaurant (beach bar) and one small gift shop

- one watersports operator (Red Sail)

- easy access to okay (and slightly better than okay) snorkelling

- crowd levels vary dramatically depending on day and number of excursions present, but usually less crowded than SMB (except on weekends/holidays)

• 3 weeks later...

All the research I've been doing, I totally agree with this approach, however, I remain perplexed......It's 7 miles of beach! How do you decide which 200 feet of the seven miles to go to?

And, another thought, I want to rent a wave runner, where do you secure your belongings while you are out on the water??

All the research I've been doing, I totally agree with this approach, however, I remain perplexed......It's 7 miles of beach! How do you decide which 200 feet of the seven miles to go to?

I was wondering the same thing. The one time we've been there before, the cab driver took us to the first quarter mile of 7-Mile Beach, so we missed the other 6.75 miles. Are there fewer cruise passengers the farther you go away from port, or is it fairly crowded all along the beach?

Hotels, condos and other private residences make up the bulk of properties that front the beach. While you can walk the 5.5 miles, unless you are content to plop down on a towel and have your own refreshments, most taxis and tours will take you to one of the the beach clubs since they have amenities many visitors desire.

Public sections of beach all the way to the water are located next to the Westin at Governor's Beach, Public Beach adjacent to to Seagrape Beach and Calico Jacks, Cemetery Beach for what passes as snorkeling along 7MB, and West Bay Public Beach and Dock at the northern end of the crescent.

Smith Cove is wonderful, but it is much more of a small neighborhood "swimming hole" type of beach compared to Seven Mile Beach. If you are joined by a bus or a few taxis full of fellow cruisers it can get quickly overrun. There are no chairs, food, etc...there, only a few picnic tables and a washroom.

If you are one of a few there it can be divine.

No AI options for cruise visitors like Mexico or some other ports, everything is à la carte.

Smith Cove is wonderful, but it is much more of a small neighborhood "swimming hole" type of beach compared to Seven Mile Beach. If you are joined by a bus or a few taxis full of fellow cruisers it can get quickly overrun. There are no chairs, food, etc...there, only a few picnic tables and a washroom.

If you are one of a few there it can be divine.

No AI options for cruise visitors like Mexico or some other ports, everything is à la carte.

Thanks so much for your help!

Archived