Current passport turnaround time?

cruz.n.carebear

2 months ago I sent away for a renewal and it was 3 weeks to get the passport book back. A friend sent away for a new book in June and took about 4 weeks. Not sure if they slow down around the holidays though. I would probably allow the full 4-6 weeks they suggest.

To be honest ... It does vary according to the season.

The times also vary according to how many names changes someone has had.

We applied last year 2010 at the end of Oct. We had our passports within 2 weeks and our BC documents arrived a few days later.

I have read the same time frames from this year 2011.

If you wait and send them in during a high season .. aka when people are getting their income tax refunds you may be waiting the standard 4-6 weeks.

Expect 4-6 weeks return and be surprised if you get them back sooner.

I just want to say no matter what, take the passport times with a grain of salt!

My oldest son got his first passport 8 years ago now and had his renewal 3 years ago. For some reason, we have nothing but problems with his passports! Our youngest got his passport in 3 weeks at the time (2 weeks for the renewal), while our oldest took close to 8 months the first time and 2 for the renewal. This was all before the documentation was made stricter.

I am not saying our experience was a normal one, but things do happen. In our case, I had to repeatedly send in proof that I was his mother. Not like, we aren't sure if this is really the father, but proof I gave birth to him :rolleyes: This was all for a 5 year old. It got so bad, we actually got state representatives involved because we were running out of options, and though 10 months would be fine to get their passports in, silly us!

Things can and do happen, if you feel you need it sooner (or would want to know about problems with their new rules sooner) rather than later, the expedited method would probably be the best way to go.

If you do it within 2 weeks of you trip you can get it in a couple of days. You have to go to the state department office directly not the post office. There are 13 in the US ( you can look them up). My SO put in for his this morning, they told him to come back on Wednesday to pick it up. You have to have proof of paid itinerary though.

Archived