Drinking age lowered on NCL ships (with written consent)

niya305

My daughter was 18 on our 1st cruise and 20 on the 2nd, she could not order drinks for herself on either cruise. There were a few times that I ordered and signed for drinks for her. She is pretty responsible. Her BF was 21 and he could sign for drinks for her, too.

Patty

I think they need to be more consistent with the age requirements. For one thing, I'd rather see the driving age changed to 18. And, if someone can VOTE and go to WAR at 18, then why do they need to wait until 21 to drink? Heck, I drank more BEFORE I turned 21 than after! :rolleyes: But, to have all these different ages is not consistent and it's confusing. I feel that the age to partake in anything legal should be 18. And, again, that includes having a Driver's License. Kids don't need to be out on the roads at 16.

21 is pretty old to drink... In Canada it's 18 (or I think 16 in Quebec).

Think of this way, you child could be in Iraq (at 18 right?) but he can't drink? :)

Oops. I should have read your post first. I basically just said the same thing.

:)

No I agree someone shouldn't drink if they're underage. But sometimes the laws are sort of odd. You can join the military at such a young age (and die) but you can't drink or gamble or vote. Very strange... they should just make the age of majority for all stuff one age.

I would think if your fiancee's parents let her go on a cruise with you, they would be more than willing to sign a paper saying she could drink!!!! Seriously, I am sure, even if the rules changed, you could tell them you booked this cruise with the expectation that she, who doesn't ( I assume) live with her parents would be able to purchase drinks. I would, however, not use the f word when explaining this. That shows a lack of maturity (teenagers think that word is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cool.) But then, that's JMHO.

I would think if your fiancee's parents let her go on a cruise with you, they would be more than willing to sign a paper saying she could drink!!!! Seriously, I am sure, even if the rules changed, you could tell them you booked this cruise with the expectation that she, who doesn't ( I assume) live with her parents would be able to purchase drinks. I would, however, not use the f word when explaining this. That shows a lack of maturity (teenagers think that word is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cool.) But then, that's JMHO.

I believe if you re-read the OP you will see that the parent has to actually be on the cruise. If that wasn't the case we'd all be back in "high school" with our forged letters:D

Ÿ A Parent or Guardian with proof of relationship may obtain permission for guests between the age of 18 - 20 years of age to purchase for consumption beer or wine.

Ÿ The parent or guardian must accompany the young adult to the Reception Desk with proven documentation of their relationship.

Okay, I found the consent form: http://www.ncl.com/more/downloads/NCL_Alcohol_consent_form.pdf

How do you prove you are related to the "young adult?" His birth certificate? We have passports, so I wasn't planning on having to haul the birth certificate too. My son will be close to 20 years old on this cruise, and sticks with his 22 year old sister (who does not really drink). I will probably sign this, if he wants, with limits (but he's paying!) He's pretty stingy with his money, saving most for his car, so I think that will probably be the biggest influence.

Subject: Drinking Age Onboard NCL and Orient Lines

Effective April 8, 2005, guests age 18-20 will be allowed to purchase and consume beer and wine onboard all NCL Orient Line ships if they provide written parental/consent.

The procedure for obtaining parental/guardian consent is as follows:

Ÿ A Parent or Guardian with proof of relationship may obtain permission for guests between the age of 18 - 20 years of age to purchase for consumption beer or wine.

Ÿ The parent or guardian must accompany the young adult to the Reception Desk with proven documentation of their relationship.

Ÿ The Reception Desk will provide the parent / guardian with a waiver form to fill out.

Ÿ Upon receipt of the completed and signed form, the Reception Desk will provide the young adult guest with a new Guest Card that will allow them to purchase beer and/or wine.

Ÿ The Reception Desk will advise the parent that by signing the waiver he / she is completely responsible for any actions of the young adult and NCL does reserve the right to revoke the privileges at any time.

Ÿ Guests must use their own Guest Card and may only place an order for one beer or glass of wine at a time.

Ÿ Multiple purchases such as Buckets of Beer Helmets or Bottles of Wine 2 for 1 programs are not allowed.

Ÿ The Bar Staff will verify the guest’s signature on the Check, with that of their Guest Card, to assure a match. Guests may be asked to provide a picture ID for confirmation.

Signs with the following verbiage will be posted at each bar onboard:

“Service and consumption of alcoholic beverages requires 21 years of age. With written parental consent, guests 18 years and above may purchase and consume beer and wine."

I think this is a good idea. After all it is still up to the parent/guardian. What must be remembered is that cruiselines have guests from all over the world and most cruises take place in international waters. In the UK the legal drinking age is 18, so parents here might see this as acceptable as it is the normal state of affair for their son/daughter to be drinking at age 18.

Archived