Govenor's beach, Jack's shack or area clost to port?

vmom

edmusic-so sorry you had a terrible time at Jack's, your probably right about it not being a fit for you Jack's was a slice of heaven for myself & DH and we will return next month. IMHO Jack's is a place for those of us that understand "island time" and seem to be approachable people- I can make conversation with a rock :D.

We had almost the exact same experience at Jack's Shack a few weeks ago that edmusic wrote about. When we arrived at Jack's not a single person greeted us. We found a table on the deck/patio and after being ignored for almost 15 minutes, we flagged down a server who told us rather dismissively that she would be with us in a moment. She finally came over and took our order. We we were disappointed that many of the food items were unavailable and wished we had eaten at Margaritaville where the food at nearby tables looked fantastic. We ordered the fish and chips and the chicken...the fish was eh and the chicken was the same as edmusic found...chopped up with bones in almost every bite. The drinks were okay. In addition...the restrooms were rather unpleasant...

Although we were happy that we took the walk up the beach to Jack's...(the beach and water were gorgeous)...we wish we hadn't wasted any time there. We had heard mixed reviews but wanted to give it a fair try. We paid our tab and ended up going back to Margaritaville which was an absolute blast! :)

This is definitely one of those things where to each his own...what one person may enjoy may not work for someone else. No matter what...you're on vacation! :)

We went to M'ville on March 1 and were pleased with our day. Many people here on CC make it sound like a wild, college spring break, atmosphere. I didn't find that at all. We rented a cabana, for a place for our group to put their belongings and cool off if needed. We really didn't spend alot of time there and probably not do that again.

We found beach chairs in front of the wave runner, shade for those who like that and sun for the rest of us. The music wasn't loud at all. I expected it to be blasting like Senor Frogs or Carlos & Charlie's. The only time we heard hooting and hollering was at the swim up bar where they were doing a scavenger hunt game.

M'ville was one of our favorite days on our cruise. Service was good and we really just hung out and relaxed! The only down side, it was pricey. But as it was our only excursion it was fine.I was worried I'd regret going there and not Jack's Shack but that wasn't the case.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it is crowded, but I have never been to a Margaritaville anywhere that I did not have a blast from Key West too New Orleans...So I was wondering about this very dilema on where to go after our snorkeling excursion on the Carnival Breeze in January.

Sounds like Margaritaville will be the place for us too hang out till ready to go back to the ship!

I love these boards!!!!

I know it is crowded, but I have never been to a Margaritaville anywhere that I did not have a blast from Key West too New Orleans...So I was wondering about this very dilema on where to go after our snorkeling excursion on the Carnival Breeze in January.

Sounds like Margaritaville will be the place for us too hang out till ready to go back to the ship!

I love these boards!!!!

You'll enjoy all of what Grand Turk has to offer. We walked to Governers Beach (about 15-20 minutes), swam and snorkled for a couple of hours and walked back through Jack's Shack and then the beach back to Margaritaville. Enjoyed the Pool, drinks and atmosphere. :D

• 2 weeks later...

We have ventured down to Jack's Shack twice now and was not impressed at ALL! The last time we were there, I went to the bar to get my husband a bucket of Bud Lights and a very sweaty, dirty looking and very rude Jack told me that they were out of buckets and they didn't have Bud Light. He said "did your husband come to the Caribbean to drink Bud Light?"

The food was way over-priced and the flys were buzzing all around. The music was soooooooo loud and booming with big speakers -- that we couldn't even talk to each other.

I have to say that the dog Topher was cute -- but I didn't want to pet him -- think WET, sandy, smelly dog! Instead of Jack's Shack, it should be called Jack's Dump! Don't waste your time walking down here -- stay at Margaritaville and enjoy the FREE chairs!

I have to say we had a wonderful time at Jack's Shack...Yes, the service is slow but everyone (including Jack) was very friendly and I have to say the Jerk Chicken I had was FABULOUS. Better than what I had in Jamacia. The rest of the menu was nothing spectacular...just regular beach bar food (Cracked Conch, burgers, etc..), but my chicken was nothing short of amazing.

Island time is different (people were slower than molasses in the Virgin Islands, too!) and this is a local bar, too. I don't know why people expect to be treated differently just because they are tourists. If you want another drink, just walk up to the bar and get one rather than getting upset about waiting for a server. Everyone we encountered was friendly, but we don't just sit around expecting people to come up to us because we are spending money there. There is no way in hell you could drag me to a Margaritaville, because I don't like to be just one of the masses, but I guess it is the same way with places like these and how people look at the different Cruise Lines. Some love Royal Caribbean and will travel no other, but I am a devoted Carnival Cruise Line fan.

The beach is lovely, the atmosphere fun and vibrant, the music was at a fine level (no shouting needed) and the drinks were strong. Yes, it was on the costly side, but honestly, it was a perfect time for us on Grand Turk. When we go back, we'll go here again.

To each there own...honestly, it's all what you make of it. I take everything with a grain of salt when reading reviews because there will always be some good some bad and some reviews are from people who wouldn't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground when it comes to a good time.

541187_618916509565_37401327_32175478_1232551280_n.jpg

522599_618918161255_37401327_32175501_1634219059_n.jpg

Are there any other bars or food establishments on Grand Turk beside Mville and Jacks? :(

There are apparently two between M'Ville & Jacks - a new bar called Local Village: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1610615

and Big Daddy's at White Sands Resort:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1593678

I plan to check them both out in 2 months!! :D

We rented two golf carts and made our way all around the island last December. Stopped in at every beach. I found Governor's Beach to be superior to Pilleroy. Pilleroy was ok. The surf was too high and we couldn't even get in the water. Lots of vegetation on the sand. It is located in front of the Bohio Dive Resort.

Did you rent the golf carts on your own? Where was the rental place? Close to pier or near Bohio Resort? Sounds like a great idea to venture on your own. We rented battery powered mini cars in Key West and loved it !!

You'll enjoy all of what Grand Turk has to offer. We walked to Governers Beach (about 15-20 minutes), swam and snorkled for a couple of hours and walked back through Jack's Shack and then the beach back to Margaritaville. Enjoyed the Pool, drinks and atmosphere. :D

Other people have said you cant walk down the beach to Governors from the ship. Please tell me when were you there? And where/how did you go to get there and how was the walk? thanks for any info

Other people have said you cant walk down the beach to Governors from the ship. Please tell me when were you there? And where/how did you go to get there and how was the walk? thanks for any info

From the cruise ship dock walk left down the beach to Jack's Shack, leave the beach and cut thru Jack's parking lot out to the road. Hang a left at the road and walk about 2 blocks and you will see a sign for Governor's Beach (left a block and 1/2). It's a 15-20 minute walk, no problem with water shoes.

We were there around March 1, 2012. We posted the pictures from an earlier post #26.

2021535530079335670S600x600Q85.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Can you rent snorkel gear at Governors Beach?

What about getting water/drinks/food at Governor's?

Can you rent snorkel gear at Governors Beach?

What about getting water/drinks/food at Governor's?

No concessions at the beach, lounge chairs available for rent. We had our own snorkel gear and water in a gear bag. When we arrived we had the beach to ourselves, when we left there was maybe twenty people in all.

Is the lighthouse this way too???? If so how much futher is it after the beach????

Thanks

The port is at one end of the island and the lighthouse is at the other. It would probably be about 5 miles to the lighthouse from Governer's Beach. I don't know of anyone who has walked it, but some take the golf carts up there....

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I, like the poster is looking for a nice beach, a calm atmosphere and food and drinks. So is Margaritaville very loud or no? Someone mentioned their were two other places that fit this description but didn't know the name. Does anyone else? Thanks.

I, like the poster is looking for a nice beach, a calm atmosphere and food and drinks. So is Margaritaville very loud or no? Someone mentioned their were two other places that fit this description but didn't know the name. Does anyone else? Thanks.

Very loud.

There are many suggestions in this thread for quieter places. Post 38, above, is the most recent example.

Very loud.

There are many suggestions in this thread for quieter places. Post 38, above, is the most recent example.

Thank you for pointing me in that direction. Governor's Beach seems perfect except we would like to be where we could get lunch and some drinks. Any more suggestions. I saw good reviews on Local Village but I've also read it is loud so that would not be good for us. We plan on doing a snorkeling tour, still looking for a tour for that, so we would do the beach after.

Archived