Tax refund from Rome

A Knitter

Yes but sometimes we received the money and sometimes we didnt!!

Jancruz1

Hi. Jan. That is what happened to me on a previous cruise. Let's hope for the best. Not much we are talking about but anything helps. :):). Hope to see u in the Desert soon.

What is a purchase invoice? Is this for the cruise? Thanks.

When u purchase an item over 140 euros at a retailer, u are eligible for a 15% tax refund. The retailer invoices the purchase on one of the forms. It must be stamped by customs before mailing. Usually the refund returns on the credit card used for the purchase. *There are kiosks at most airports however i wanted to confirm this would also be done t the Port of embarkation.

Sent from my iPad

First off your tax stamp is done at the Rome airport on your final exit from

The European union..after u check in for ur flt and clear passport control you'll

See Tax Refund signs..ask where to get your stamp

I am aware of the Procedure from the airport but my question had to deal with a Port stop. I have heard yes and no u can't. Shall see in 6 hours.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. :)

We were told that UNLESS you are leaving the EU there is no one at the port to stamp invoices since the ship will be coming from and continuing within the EU.

I believe this to be the correct answer, but with the caveat that those countries within the EU which have maintained their own currency, such as Great Britain, are more zealous in their policing of intra-EU tourists than are the countries which strictly use the Euro.

Perhaps in the last EU port before proceeding on the TA?

We were told that UNLESS you are leaving the EU there is no one at the port to stamp invoices since the ship will be coming from and continuing within the EU.

Yes. Tis is the info. I have received so far. Portugal is our last stop before crossing. Thanks. All. Marina is lovely as all of u stated. :)

Has anyone had experience with problems getting Customs to stamp their purchase invoice for the 15% tax refund from Civitacchia? Thanks. Maria.

Hi - We have never seen a refund for any of our purchases. The latest was last July in Dover. Everything was in order. I stood on line to have Customs stamp my purchases. Then moved to another line and stood for 45 minutes while the line behind me grew. After 45 minutes I was told they would not give me cash - just a credit on my charge card. My husband was at the gate with all of our carry-ons and my purse (which weighed about 8 pounds). My credit card was in my purse. I was told that I could either get the card and go to the back of the line or "fill out this form and put it in the mailbox outside the door". I told them that I have never seen a refund yet, but they assured me that the form goes straight to the Customs office and I would see the refund on my cc. So, I did as instructed. That was last July. Still waiting........:rolleyes:. I will think twice before I buy anything where I will get "my tax refund" once I hit the airport Customs office.

Hi - We have never seen a refund for any of our purchases. The latest was last July in Dover. Everything was in order. I stood on line to have Customs stamp my purchases. Then moved to another line and stood for 45 minutes while the line behind me grew. After 45 minutes I was told they would not give me cash - just a credit on my charge card. My husband was at the gate with all of our carry-ons and my purse (which weighed about 8 pounds). My credit card was in my purse. I was told that I could either get the card and go to the back of the line or "fill out this form and put it in the mailbox outside the door". I told them that I have never seen a refund yet, but they assured me that the form goes straight to the Customs office and I would see the refund on my cc. So, I did as instructed. That was last July. Still waiting........:rolleyes:. I will think twice before I buy anything where I will get "my tax refund" once I hit the airport Customs office.

This will probably be the same in my case. I am not expecting so there wón´t be a disappointment. Less inheritance for my son. :):)

Very smooth procedure in Rome last summer. After security, office stamped receipt form and across room are cashier services. No lines at all! Charged purchase but received cash back. They charge a tranaction fee, so discount less than 14% quoted by store. Over $500 back made item much less than U.S., even at 1.44 €. Does have to be done at departure country.

I have received these refunds with no problem.

Many times from Paris, but also from Dublin and London. Always a credit to my card a couple of months later. Sometimes it takes a while, but I have always received it. Have never tried to do it from a cruise though, always from airports.

Mo

I have received these refunds with no problem.

Many times from Paris, but also from Dublin and London. Always a credit to my card a couple of months later. Sometimes it takes a while, but I have always received it. Have never tried to do it from a cruise though, always from airports.

Mo

Hi Mo - I was in the airport. There was even a big fight on the lines since some folks were having people holding their space while they went to get their purchases stamped, then cut back into the line. Customs had to call security. What a nightmare. I wasn't about to stand on that line again so I did it by mail as I was told. Even used the big post box right outside the customs office. This was at the Dover airport. Since it has been nearly 5 months, I have lost hope of ever seeing my money. The last time it happened were were in Barcelona. It was a bit different then, airport customs filled out my cc info and said it "would be processed". That was 5 years ago. I gave up waiting after 4 :rolleyes:. This year we will be cruising from Barcelona to Lisbon. I doubt that I will make any purchases that require me standing in line to get nowhere and nothing.

Ronnie

2travelers - I totally agree with you --we have the same situation. We took the Transatlantic on a segement of the Dawn Princess and the ship was going to ports in and out of the EU. When we finally got to the final EU port -- someone came aboard and we got the stamp. Then, when we got home to the U.S. -- we mailed everything out to Customs in Europe - following all instructions --that was in July --Here we are in December and I have yet to receive anything back... I would not count on it either... Shall we say -- this is not a very good business practice...

In the future, we will not purchase anything substantial unless the credit is given up front, which many of the merchants do...

Good luck to those seeking their money back... :D

• 1 month later...

Archived