Catania Conundrum

TMLAalum

We dock in Catania next June. For those who've disembarked for the day there, regardless of cruiseline, I have some questions.

Was transportation to Catania offered for a minimal cost?

Was there a ship-sponsored transit-only to/from Taormina available?

Did anyone take the train from Catania to Taormina?

If you rented a car, what were the pros/cons?

We are typically DIYers, thrifty but not cheapskates, and are a group of 6.

Thanks!

We spent two weeks in Taormina last summer. From the Catania airport to Taormina it was about 45 minutes. We had a driver that was arou d 60 euros.

Taormina to Messina is closer. If you are just on a one day excursion I would caution you about taking the train as there are often strikes. The roads I Sicily are very steep and winding so if you rent a car you need to be prepared for that. Auto Europe has some good deals.

The ship docks right in down town. When we were there the train schedule was too tight to take the train. I wouldn't recommend renting a car due to the traffic in the city.

P1040071.jpg?psid=1

Your best bet would be to find a private driver. If you search Catania you might be able to find recomendations for one.

Actually we find the driving in Sicily pretty easy even though we normally drive on the other side of the road. But I would not think of hiring a car for a day because of the time it can take to collect it and even return it. In Milan, we waited for over an hour to collect our car, as we did in Sardinia.

We are sharing a tour with others on our Roll Call with Romeinlimo and the cost is very reasonable and we get a private driver for the whole day... We are going to Taormina (from Catania) and also to Castelmola. It really is an incredible area. If at all possible, I would suggest a private company.

We were just there about 2 weeks ago.

We arranged our tour with Sicily Limousines. We had a wonderful day. We were picked up in Messina and we went to Castelmola and Taormina. Even tho we had light rain in Taormina, we enjoyed strolling the streets. In Castelmola we were the only tourists there for almost the whole time we were there.

We will be cancelling our rental car and forgetting about taking the train.

We will be booking a private tour but the new decision involves which tour guide to use and what itinerary to choose. Taormina & Castelmona? Taormina & Etna or Taormina & rural villages?

Romeinlimo, Mario Astone....

Has anyone used NewTravelServices, which is well-reviewed on TripAdvisor?

You might want to look at Sicily Limousine Services too. We had a great tour with them about 2 weeks ago. New mercedes and a great driver. Rates are good too. They have the standard tours but you can customize your day also.

Thanks to your post, I've checked out their website and am very interested in their "Unknown Towns & Taormina" tour which is their priciest. Their cost for Castelmola and Taormina is the most reasonable I've found for the number of people in our group!

Thanks to your post, I've checked out their website and am very interested in their "Unknown Towns & Taormina" tour which is their priciest. Their cost for Castelmola and Taormina is the most reasonable I've found for the number of people in our group!

Yep, told you the rates were good. We had a nice new Mercedes and a great driver. We enjoyed our day in Sicily. Just ask as many questions as you want, they will respond to all of them ! :D

Archived