Freedom of Information on NOROVIRUS

DAN 60

Websites on cruise ship outbreaks and illness issues indicate that pretty much every cruise has some level of'gastro-related' issues. The Norovirus is on the cruise somewhere. Some people's system is able to control it, but that doesn't mean it can't get passed onto someone more vulnerable. Its just a fact of life. If you don't want to be exposed to it, or are worried about bringing to home to someone more vulnerable, than you should consider not going to public places. One website showed that every Carnival cruise in 2009 had some level of that illness, usually one or two people, especailly in the flu season.

So that does raise a question....if the OP is expecting the ship to inform everyone that they had people with some type of virus illness on the last cruise, what level? How many people need to report it before the ship informs everyone, and the next cruise? The CDC has a level that must be reported (for US port calls), but I've seen more than a few threads complaining that wasn't enough.

So personally, the one curise I was on that had a major outbreak, the crew's response was quite obvious. And as to the ship not having a developed plan, all cruise lines have 'developed plans' for such outbreaks, we just may not be aware of all the ongoing efforts. Does someone really believe there isn't a set reaction plan?

Den

• 2 weeks later...

We are just back from the Connie TA and are stilling weighing our thoughts about the noro virus and related sickness issues. Neither my partner or I had been sick for years prior to our boarding. It is true we travelled one week prior in Spain before boarding in Barcelona, but I became sick with nausea just over 48 hours after boarding which I think makes it likely that I contracted the bug onboard. The officers briefing us on the high sanitation procedures emphasized that they were in CLOSE contact with the CDC and all testing of fluids from patients showed that the bug was coming from OFF ship. Well, I believed them but I still have big serious doubts. When I reported to the medical facility, I was stunned at the number of staff, in uniform, that was parading in and out to get shots for the virus. I know, because it is a small area and the doctors were talking quite openly and telling the staff, take the pills if the shot does not have effect! Well, I got the shot and believe me, I was not going anywhere for the next 24 hours because I was out of it. But then, perhaps a few days later, I got sick again, but this time with what was the more common, and not discussed symptom around the ship, cold symptons! Runny nose, congestion, cough. I suspect it may be flu but so many have had the flu shot that the symptoms were more like a cold (a shadow of the flu). So those who boarded in Ft Lauderdale, I think the less pernicious threat is the norovirus. This cold or flu virus is really the one that was literally all over the ship. I don't know what is to be done, nor do I blame the ship personnel at all, but I agree with an earlier poster: If we are required to report our health status, they too, should be required to report. Business should not trump health.

Nancy

If we are required to report our health status, they too, should be required to report. Business should not trump health.

Nancy

I'm not sure of the effectiveness of those passenger health questionnaires.

Even if we have to check a few boxes on a disclosure, it is pointless if one has contracted a virus but has no symptoms since they are unaware. If you have something its hard to tell them there is a problem if you don't know about it and feel fine.

Plus, individuals have the ability to withhold the truth just as much as businesses do. People might have had symptoms and don't want to report for fear of not being allowed to board.

I will point out the cruise lines are required to report all cases to the CDC (including cruises with 0 cases). And the CDC in turn is required to post reports where 3% or more of passengers or crew reported symptoms of diarrheal disease to the ships medical staff during the voyage. Those requirements are good enough for me. I'm not going to worry about a past cruise where 20 or 30 people were ill. Almost every cruise will have a few people that were ill so it is kind of common sense you can't have a guarantee you won't catch something.

In 2011, Celebrity has only made this >3% reporting list twice. The Solstice (1/30-2/6) and the Millennium (5/20-5/27).

We just returned yesterday and it was a VERY healthy cruise. The crew worked like dogs and were hyper-vigilant about sanitation. I did not object to the hand santizers at every turn and being served food (even sugar packets). Sometimes it was a tiny, tiny inconvenient but the crew was cheerful at all times.

We had an awesome time. I loved it and am even more conscious than ever of hand washing and public spaces.

Kudos to the crew and Celebrity

Archived