What is a Cunard ball?

Lanky Lad

I have just received my pre-cruise documents for Queen Elizabeth (January 2012) and we have a Cunard Ball.

This is a new one to me, so what makes it a Cunard Ball?

Stephen,

try wearing a red top hat with a black band round the top - that should cover it I think. :D

J

...I will be sailing on the English Channel/North Sea in January, can I really get away with a white jacket? :eek:

Of course you can. It's a Cunard ball - they can hardly take exception to your jacket if you are dressing to the theme. But don't forget that you need to get "HAMILTON" embroidered across the back of your pants! :D:D:D

Of course, if you really really really want to go the full distance, you need to go and spend a day or two hanging around one of our nuclear plants, then you can put a red top hat on each of your three heads and pretend you're the Queen Mary.

J

All above comments very amusing.

I clicked on the link and read the suggested dress, has the person who wrote those words of wisdom ever actually packed for a cruise.?

Ever taken a flight - like from FL to Venice - oohh there is that city again.

Seriously, there is no way to pack medieval velvet gowns and Ventian masks, or grey toppers and morning coats , Ascot 3ft wide hats,or Victorian dresses with 6 petticoats to bell out the skirts. if you have to fly.

I am all in favour of Formal dress, I love it, but experience has taught me to pay attention to packability, and weight ( heavily beaded outfits weigh a great deal), you must also consider "will it crease".

All above comments very amusing.

I clicked on the link and read the suggested dress, has the person who wrote those words of wisdom ever actually packed for a cruise.?

Ever taken a flight - like from FL to Venice - oohh there is that city again.

Seriously, there is no way to pack medieval velvet gowns and Ventian masks, or grey toppers and morning coats , Ascot 3ft wide hats,or Victorian dresses with 6 petticoats to bell out the skirts. if you have to fly.

I am all in favour of Formal dress, I love it, but experience has taught me to pay attention to packability, and weight ( heavily beaded outfits weigh a great deal), you must also consider "will it crease".

I have read through the posts and can't see any reference to this attire, I think you will find that nearly all posters are being a little comical with their replies.;)

I have read through the posts and can't see any reference to this attire, I think you will find that nearly all posters are being a little comical with their replies.;)

Like Jimsgirl said she clicked on this link

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code_all

and then on "Suggested attire for themed balls can be viewed here."

On there you'll see similar clothes as she mentioned.

Archived