Europe or Caribbean (Again)

cfprunner

DW and I can't choose between a 4 day Europe (Oct 3) on the Century (Cat 8-Guaranteed Ocean View) or another 7 day Eastern Caribbean (Jan 22) on Milli. (Cat-CC).

After air and pre-sail hotel (plus a post sail hotel in in Europe) the costs and time away from the kids are about the same.

• We've never been to Europe
  • We've been on Infinty and Connie and loved them
  • We lover our breakfast on the veranda on CC class
  • We've been to San Juan, St. Martin & Antigua several times already
  • We have cabin 6135 on Milli
  • the Milli trip is more time on the boat but 3 days are 'at sea'
  • The European trip would involve 13-16 hours of travel each way with 2 connections
  • No hablo espanola o francia

Which should we do?

I think Europe. I have been to the Caribbean many times..and still love it. I continue to go there every winter. The experience of Europe should not be missed. I just wonder..could you do a longer cruise in Europe? I don't know hoe much yu will see in 4 days. Land arrangements willl cost a bundle becuase of the strenght of the Euro. In Europe, you really don't need a better cabin because you are busy sightseeing. If it is relaxation you are after, Europe is NOT for you!Enjoy!

First, having cruised both places, in my book there is NEVER any contest...

Europe ALWAYS wins hands down...

Of course, the two are completely different kinds of cruises...

I think most people gcruise the Caribbean to kick back, relax, swim, snorkel and tan...

Europe is a whole other thing...You go for the culture, the history, the architecture, the art, the food, the experience...

But, then, I did a double take...a FOUR DAY CRUISE? To Europe? Hardly seems worth going all that way for just four days...

The best thing I could figure about why to do a 4-nighter in Europe would be if:

1) You live there, or

2) You'll be in Europe for some other reason, or

3) You're tacking it on at the beginning or end of a LONGER European vacation...

So, I hit the Celebrity Website to check out the itinerary...and here it is:

Mon, Oct 03 Barcelona, Spain Depart 6:00 PM

Tue, Oct 04 Villefranche (Nice), France Arrive 9:00 AM Depart 10:00 PM

Wed, Oct 05 Ajaccio, Corsica Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 2:00 PM

Thu, Oct 06 Palma De Mallorca, Spain Arrive 10:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

Fri, Oct 07 Barcelona, Spain Arrive 7:00 AM

So, it's a quick, Barcelona Round Trip loop with a port stop EVERY day...

It's just a Taste of Europe.

I would do it, but tack on some extra days in Barcelona before or after...

Or tack on a pre-cruise land trip Madrid to Seville to Grenada to Barcelona...

Or, another way to use this cruise would be to do the September 19 12 nighter on the Millie from Venice to Barcelona which arrives in Barcelona on October 1 and then spend a couple nights in Barcelona, then hop back on the Century for this 4 nighter...

You'd get Villefranche twice...but you could use one of those stops to visit Monte Carlo and Eze and the other to visit Cannes and St. Paul de Vence...

You'd end up with a variation on the "back-to-back" with 16 nights of cruising and some time in Barcelona wedged in the middle...

Of course, that's just a dream for those who can do it...

Sounds to me like you're considering flying over, doing the 4-night and flying back, right?

But, let's think about this...

October 3 is a Monday...and you are back in port on Friday Morning...I'll suppose you work Monday through Friday...Why not leave home Saturday...Arrive Barcelona Sunday and spend one night...Get on the ship Monday...Get off Friday and spend another two nights enjoying Barcelona and fly home on Sunday?

I'd take that over the 7-night Caribbean cruise ...especially if you''ve done it multiple times before anyway...

Of course, once you've done this, you'll be pricing out those European 12 and 14 nighters...

Good luck..

I would choose Europe, too. There's just nothing like it. We're going on our fifth European cruise in July. We've also been to the Caribbean four times, but if given a choice, would take Europe. There's just so much to do and see, and the opportunity doesn't come up that often for most people.

If there's anyway you could stretch your four-day to a seven-day cruise, you would be able to see so much more, including probably several Italian ports, including Rome or Venice. You're paying the airfare anyway. Even if it meant taking an inside cabin to save a little money, you'll seldom be in your cabin anyway. We had an inside on our first Mediterranean cruise in 2001 and enjoyed it just about as much as we did our balcony cabin on our Baltics trip last summer. On Celebrity ships, the inside and the outsides and most of the balconies are the same 172 square feet in size.

Good luck. You'll enjoy your cruise, regardless of which itinerary you take.

Allen

Europe would be my first choice BUT I can't see any reason to fly 13-16 hours each way for a 4 day cruise. The travel to Europe would almost be as long as your cruise. :( That doesn't sound relaxing OR fun.

We are booked on the Millennium in Europe in June for a 12 day cruise and few extra days before and after and I am still worried it's going to be too exhausting and we won't get to see everything we want to see.

If you are just looking for a quick, relaxing trip away from the kids for a week or so, I would go with the Caribbean.....save the Europe trip for a time when you can put a couple of weeks into it.

January weather can be the pits. I would take the warm waters of the Caribbean over a quicky trip to less than quality European ports. Rome or Venice or Florence or Paris as port of calls and it is a different story. Or do BOTH!

Althoug I love to travel, I would not make such a long fligt for only 4-day cruise.

Realize you will have jetlag upon arriving in Europe, which may last a few days...

Also it is better to arrive at least 1 day before, so you need a hotel.

Save the Europetrip for another time withat least 1 week sailing.

DW and I can't choose between a 4 day Europe (Oct 3) on the Century (Cat 8-Guaranteed Ocean View) or another 7 day Eastern Caribbean (Jan 22) on Milli. (Cat-CC).

After air and pre-sail hotel (plus a post sail hotel in in Europe) the costs and time away from the kids are about the same.

• We've never been to Europe
  • We've been on Infinty and Connie and loved them
  • We lover our breakfast on the veranda on CC class
  • We've been to San Juan, St. Martin & Antigua several times already
  • We have cabin 6135 on Milli
  • the Milli trip is more time on the boat but 3 days are 'at sea'
  • The European trip would involve 13-16 hours of travel each way with 2 connections
  • No hablo espanola o francia

Which should we do?

I agree with all who said they would not travel to Europe for 4-day cruise but you also mentioned a post stay hotel, so I assume your trip will be longer. You indicated that you enjoy breakfast on veranda in CC class. I do not believe that Century has veranda cabins. Also, cabin 6135 is a prime location (we have same cabin for January 8rh cruise). As far as days at sea, we prefer less ports and more days at sea to enjoy our veranda.

I personally would not do the Europe trip just becasue of the 13-16 hours travel time each way. That is not a vacation for me. It would take me at least one month to forget the trip over before I would even consider the trip back. But that's just my opinion! Also, don't understand why anyone would go to Europe in January.

Also, don't understand why anyone would go to Europe in January.

Read it again: It's the Caribbean in JANUARY versus the Mediterranean in early OCTOBER...

As to 7-nighters, the Century has one, but it's to the Norwegian Fjords, not the Med...after that, it's 10-nighters and up...

You might want to consider Royal Caribbean, though...they have 7-nighters out of Barcelona all Summer long on the Splendor of the Seas:

Barcelona, Spain; Marseille, France; Villefranche (Nice), France; Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy; Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy; Naples, Italy; Barcelona, Spain

...and one May 15 on the Brilliance of the Seas: Barcelona, Spain; Ajaccio, Corsica; Villefranche (Nice), France; Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy; Messina (Sicily), Italy; Naples, Italy; Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy ...

...and on the Brilliance on May 29 out of Rome: Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy; Naples, Italy; Messina (Sicily), Italy; Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy; Villefranche (Nice), France; Barcelona, Spain

I would still consider the 4-nighter, but would definitely tack on a few extra days in Spain...up to whatever you think you could get away with...

But, I'd also be tempted to consider the Brilliance - it's a fairly new RCCL ship and I've heard good things about it...and the ports give you a little better view into Europe, going to places like Naples, Nice, Livorno and Rome...

Good luck...

I vote for the Caribbean. 13-16 hours of travel each way with 2 connections would freak me out. One or two problems with the airlines and you are going to miss the cruise. For such a short vacation I don't think the travel time is worth it.

If your little one can travel, why not bring him or her along with you on a nice trip to Europe including a 10 or 11 day Mediterranean cruise? Travelling with kids can be fun (and can build character), I have been doing it for years. I'm taking my teens to the Med this summer for a great cruise. What ever you decide, have fun!

'miner

Archived