Things to do in ports on Dubai cruise

Floflegs

I presume you're booked on Royal Caribbean's Brilliance of the Seas. We'll be on the 12/12 sailing. We have three experiences planned through North Tours (http://www.northtours.net). They package them as a Trio ... city tour, dinner cruise aboard a dhow, and evening desert safari. We'll be doing the dinner cruise the evening before we sail, the city tour on the day we arrive back in port, and the desert safari on our last full day in Dubai (our flight doesn't leave until 1:45 a.m. the next day). We've also booked trips in Abu Dhabi and Fujairah with them. North Tours has absolutely glowing reviews in Trip Advisor and other such sites. Their prices are excellent, and they'll pick you up at any designated location you select. Hope thius helps ... have a terrific cruise!

Al

If you want to know about all of the ports, please list the ports of call. It will make it easier for us to provide feedback to you.

Keith

Ports are as follows -

Dubai, UAE

Fujairah, UAE

Muscat, Oman ( overnight )

Abu Dhabi, UAE

Dubai, UAE ( overnight )

Thanks, Al. I will look at North Tours.

Flora

Flora ...

North Tours has been very accommodating ... you should be pleased. And there's no need to pay in advance ... the guide collects the fees, and they do take credit cards. The only difficulty we ran into was booking something independently in Oman (North Tours doesn't operate there) ... most trips begin before we're scheduled to dock on Wednesday, and there's nothing available on Thursday. We opted to go with the ship's city tour on Thursday, leaving Wednesday for us to explore a bit, and possibly book something at the last minute. Since vendors are strictly controlled, and need approval to operate at the port, we feel safe ... but we'll most likely just do a bit of wandering, within reason, of course. We're really looking forward to this cruise.

Al

Thanks, Al. I'm glad you don't have to pay in advane as I would not like to send card details. Could you please give me an idea of the prices if you don't mind as the website doesn't quote them. Also what currency do they take? Is it local currency only? Never been to this area before and there is no response to the roll call. Maybe we will be sailing solo on the ship!:rolleyes:

Flora

The cost for all five excursions is 2440 AED (dirhams) for the two of us. That's about 640 USD or 430 GBP. We think that's pretty reasonable, especially since two of them include meals. Our credit card (Capitol One) does not charge a fee to convert currency ... normally runs about 3%. According to the airport site and everyone else we've contacted, there are several currency exchange booths in all terminals at Dubai International Airport. Most are open 24/7. Please be aware that Oman uses a different currency ... the Omani Rial (OMR). We're not going to take any with us ... perhaps we could exchange some dirhams at a local bank if necessary. We don't want to make this trip any more complicated than it really needs to be. We still may get some dirhams locally before we leave, just in case ... we'll need them for taxi fare, tips, etc. when we arrive, so we'll probably convert a few dollars before we leave, just in case we can't do it at the airport. I hope this has helped.

Al

I'm doing the Costa New Year cruise with a similar itinerary to you Flora. I'm getting botehe dirhams and Reals here in the UK before I travel as I'm DIY in most porst and want to have local currency to hand for taxis.

There is the big bus tours I. Abu Dhabi and Dubai if that interests you.

In Fujairah, I'm going to spend the day at the Hilton's private beach. They are doing a day apss for me for 100 AED. Just going to getba taxi both ways and will get in to do a bit of a mini tour on the way there.

In MuscT also tking a taxi and going tomsee the new Opera House before going to the Crowne Plaza. Day pass is 12 OMR. Treating myself to lunch in their upmarket Persian restaurant -Shiraz.

In Abu Dhabi, I'm going to go to the Mosque, Heritage Village, Marina Mall and have a luck reservation in the Emirates Palace.

In Dubai, I've booked Costa tour for the first afternoon that has a 45 seaplane ride over the skyline from the port.we then land at at golf resortnat Dubai Creek wherevwe getvrefreshments before getting in a limo for a tour through Dubai city including souks and back to the port. The next day I'm getting around by taxi and haven't worked out the running order yet but will be going to the Mosque, Madinant Souk, Marina Mall, doing "the walk" at Jumeirah Beach Residence, having coffe in JumeirH Beach Hotel, also trying to fit in Dubai Mall and the fountains. Have splurged on a booking for afternoon tea at the Burj al Arab.

I'm doing the Costa New Year cruise with a similar itinerary to you Flora. I'm getting botehe dirhams and Reals here in the UK before I travel as I'm DIY in most porst and want to have local currency to hand for taxis.

There is the big bus tours I. Abu Dhabi and Dubai if that interests you.

In Fujairah, I'm going to spend the day at the Hilton's private beach. They are doing a day apss for me for 100 AED. Just going to getba taxi both ways and will get in to do a bit of a mini tour on the way there.

In MuscT also tking a taxi and going tomsee the new Opera House before going to the Crowne Plaza. Day pass is 12 OMR. Treating myself to lunch in their upmarket Persian restaurant -Shiraz.

In Abu Dhabi, I'm going to go to the Mosque, Heritage Village, Marina Mall and have a luck reservation in the Emirates Palace.

In Dubai, I've booked Costa tour for the first afternoon that has a 45 seaplane ride over the skyline from the port.we then land at at golf resortnat Dubai Creek wherevwe getvrefreshments before getting in a limo for a tour through Dubai city including souks and back to the port. The next day I'm getting around by taxi and haven't worked out the running order yet but will be going to the Mosque, Madinant Souk, Marina Mall, doing "the walk" at Jumeirah Beach Residence, having coffe in JumeirH Beach Hotel, also trying to fit in Dubai Mall and the fountains. Have splurged on a booking for afternoon tea at the Burj al Arab.

You may want to spend your mall time at either Mall of the Emirates (indoor ski slope) or Dubai Mall. Both of these are much larger and special than Marina Mall IMO. If you are at Dubai Mall lunch time, the fountains will have a show at one pm and 1:30 pm though I don't believe it's on the official schedule. Fun to watch while sitting at the numerous restaurants with outdoor seating. Seeing them at night is even better though. Also in this area is Souk al Bahar. If you plan to visit the top of Burj Khalifa get your tickets ahead of time as they often sell out.

You will like Souk Madinat Jumeirah. I've walked over from Burj al Arab in the past but I believe they have a golf cart type vehicle that will ride you over. Enjoy:)

You may want to spend your mall time at either Mall of the Emirates (indoor ski slope) or Dubai Mall. Both of these are much larger and special than Marina Mall IMO. If you are at Dubai Mall lunch time, the fountains will have a show at one pm and 1:30 pm though I don't believe it's on the official schedule. Fun to watch while sitting at the numerous restaurants with outdoor seating. Seeing them at night is even better though. Also in this area is Souk al Bahar. If you plan to visit the top of Burj Khalifa get your tickets ahead of time as they often sell out.

You will like Souk Madinat Jumeirah. I've walked over from Burj al Arab in the past but I believe they have a golf cart type vehicle that will ride you over. Enjoy:)

Thanks for the great info, especially, about the lunch time fountain show. I really wanted to see that but had read it's really busy on Friday evenings and difficult to get taxis - didn't want to risk not being able to get back to the ship in time for the coach transfer to the airport.

Archived