cruising with teenagers

cas1000

am thinking of going on a 12 night med cruise on the Serenade of the seas next August with my husband, 16 year old son and 14 year old daughter. Since this is a smaller ship than the Freedom class ships will there be enough teenagers activities on board for my teenagers - other posts have talked about teenager clubs and teen areas on board the larger Independance of the seas but do these exist on the Serenade of the seas? Our son is also sport mad so are there plenty of football etc tournaments on the ship. Our other option is to go on a 7 night cruise on a Voyager class or Freedom class but the itineries and timings are not so good for us but so will we be Ok with our choice or would it be worth going for a larger ship. Please help

I think you'll be fine...there's plenty for the teens to do....and in port, you'll be OFF the ship, exploring!

There is a nice sports deck on Seranade...mainly basketball/volley ball....not so much football! Of course, there is also the arcade.....and the pool....plenty to do!

It's true that Seranade isn't quite as large as Freedom, but it's still a BIG ship!

I agree that you'll be in port most days enjoying the ports! I'm sure your kids will find plenty to do on the ship.

We are planning only our second cruise, another port intensive itinerary. Our last cruise, to Alaska, my son then 16 had no trouble finding kids his age to hang out with although he did not participate in any organized activities. He did use the hot tub, see some movies, and ate a LOT! I think he enjoyed having time to wander around the ship. Our next cruise to northern europe, I'm not expecting as many kids his age, but again, we only have two at sea days and I'm sure he'll manage to find a way to occupy his time. He is super excited about seeing Europe, anything on the ship is just extra.

DD is now 16 and she's been on several different European cruises. The key is to get your kid(s) to meet other kids early in the cruise. While they may not spend ANY time at the teen club for the rest of the cruise, get them to go to the teen mixer the first night.

FWIW many ships even US based companies will have many Europeans, ours a couple years ago was at least 50% + spanish speaking in the kids club. Football mad, you mean like soccor you are good. If you mean US "football" maybe not so much :D

As to is there enough to do, I think the planning and frustration could be more port releated than ship. The European cruise seem to be very port intensive with few all sea days. All day in port, evening depature and next day in port. Plan and think thru your port excursions as a teens view of what is interesting in Rome, Venice, Athens might be very different from an adult.

I very much agree with Onessa. Make sure your kids meet other kids early on, the first day/night. Since it is quite a port intensive itinerary, on sea days and evenings is when they will most likely want to chill and find their friends. We have cruised for 10-11 yrs....through the teen years (One is still, he is 19).

Initially - The sports deck is a very good place for teens to meet early on day one. If your older one is going to University, have him wear a t shirt or something from the universities he is thinking of going to. - Makes for great start up conversation. (& yes, they will be able to find games of football- aka to us americans as soccer! :))

Later evening embarkation day - there might not be much organized activity for 14/16yo's but the place to meet will be [outside] the kids club....Make sure they check it out. if they check out whats happening on the sports deck earlier, they will most likely already have plans with one or two other kids to meet up there- after dinner.

Good choice!

They can always start their own rollcall on whatever social mediasites they frequent.

Archived