Port Canaveral as a port of call, not embarkation port...

DonnaK

We will be there on New Year's Day, so KSC (closed) and the Orlando parks (too crowded) are out of consideration.

What else can we do there?

What is the weather typically for that time of year? Will it be warm enough for the beach/swimming? What is the average ocean temp at Cocoa Beach in January?

We will be there on New Year's Day, so KSC (closed) and the Orlando parks (too crowded) are out of consideration.

What else can we do there?

What is the weather typically for that time of year? Will it be warm enough for the beach/swimming? What is the average ocean temp at Cocoa Beach in January?

It will be too cold for the beach. However, there are things you can do. You might want to call ahead to make sure they will be open. You will need a rental car.

1. Brevard Zoo

2. A 2-hour boat ride on the Indian River Lagoon with Island Boat Lines http://www.islandboatlines.com/Home_Page.php

3. An airboat ride at Lone Cabbage Fish Camp http://www.twisterairboatrides.com/

It is a big, 2 story beach gear store. Fun for teenagers and a meet place to buy souvenirs, if you must.

I agree with Ron Jon's. It's definitely a must-see in my opinion!

Also with the idea of Epcot, if you go...it's like celebrating the new year in a different country (something I've always wanted to do)!

Going to any of the parks can be risky in the sense that your timing needs to be perfect. It is about 1½ hours from PC to the gate at any of the parks, assuming you know the exact way and make no wrong turns. That is 3 hours out of the day just for driving, not counting travel time to/from the rental car office. You tell me. Does that leave enough time to enjoy Epcot or any other park?

On the other hand, if you take a ship-sponsored shore excursion to one of the parks, you could have a short visit at one of the parks, but it would be expensive for only a short stay.

Thanks for the suggestions.

We've been to Ron Jon's several times.

The problem with the Orlando theme parks is that we are arriving in Port Canaveral at 1pm, so by the time we transport there, it'll be kind of late in the afternoon. I have read/heard that the parks often have to close in the late morning on holidays because they are full. I'm not sure it's worth the risk to travel there and be unable to get in because it's full.

I have read/heard that the parks often have to close in the late morning on holidays because they are full. I'm not sure it's worth the risk to travel there and be unable to get in because it's full.

That is true. Sometimes they close their gates to new guests as early as noon.

It will be too cold for the beach. However, there are things you can do. You might want to call ahead to make sure they will be open. You will need a rental car.

1. Brevard Zoo

2. A 2-hour boat ride on the Indian River Lagoon with Island Boat Lines http://www.islandboatlines.com/Home_Page.php

3. An airboat ride at Lone Cabbage Fish Camp http://www.twisterairboatrides.com/

We will be in Cocoa Beach end of December pre cruise and 2 days January post cruise. What is your opinion of to cold for the beach?? What tempo are you saying??

Leaving snow and cold behind I go to the beach in the 50's and 60's. :p

We will be in Cocoa Beach end of December pre cruise and 2 days January post cruise. What is your opinion of to cold for the beach?? What tempo are you saying??

You can check it here: http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Cocoa-Beach-Pier/seatemp

If you can tolerate 50's & 60's, you'll be O.K. However, you won't find any Floridians there.

You can check it here: http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Cocoa-Beach-Pier/seatemp

If you can tolerate 50's & 60's, you'll be O.K. However, you won't find any Floridians there.

Thanks Vic! I am usually laying on the beach and watching the locals in their winter coats. I do understand your blood thins. Can't wait till the day that happens to me and I am a local :) 26 more says and you'll see me on the beach!

Thanks again!

January 9, 2010 I had icicles (little ones, but they were icicles nonetheless) hanging off my palm trees. I can't imagine being on the beach with the wind when it's that cold. Brrr....

Thanks Duck!

After surviving the winters here in New England.........we do weird things. It takes a mental toll:p

We were in FLL in January of 09 and it was 32 degrees. Without the snow and ice it did not bother me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be docked at Port Canaveral on 12/21 from 7am-7pm. I plan on renting a car and driving to Orlando to shop. If anyone is familiar w/ that route, please let me know what to expect in regards to traffic and how much time I should allow to return to port. Thanks!!

Water temperature probably about 60 or less.

Thanks Vic! I am usually laying on the beach and watching the locals in their winter coats. I do understand your blood thins. Can't wait till the day that happens to me and I am a local :) 26 more says and you'll see me on the beach!

Thanks again!

Your blood does not thin. It is a matter of metabolic adjustment.

I'll be docked at Port Canaveral on 12/21 from 7am-7pm. I plan on renting a car and driving to Orlando to shop. If anyone is familiar w/ that route, please let me know what to expect in regards to traffic and how much time I should allow to return to port. Thanks!!

Beachline to The FL Turnpike exit, stay straight/left to OBT, take a left and go about 1/2 mile, Florida Mall on the right. If you miss the entrance go to the next major intersection (Sand Lake Road) and make a right, there's another entrance there on the right.

For Millenia Mall, stay right on the ramp off the Beachline and get on the Turnpike Northbound to I-4, take I-4 eastbound to Conroy Road (first exit). Stay right at the ramp and follow to the mall.

If there's other shopping you want, let me know and I'll try to give directions.

I would plan on taking 90 minutes to get there, two hours minimum to get back--traffic can be brutal around the malls.

Archived