Where to go in Dubrovnik for a second time visitor?

We have hired a guide and need to decide where to ask him to take us for the day. What are the must sees? Thanks

barheadlass: Take a look at Rick Steves' Croatia book. You might also want to take a ride to Montenegro' date=' if you've not been there yet. Bay of Kotor is gorgeous. [/quote']

Lots to see in and around Dubrovnik. The Bay of Kotor is super wonderful, but some guides from Dubrovnik cannot reach there as easily as it might seem.

Tell us more on what you have done/seen in Dubrovnik, plus what you want to do and experience nearby? What are your interests, travel style, etc.???

Here are links on what we did in these two wonderful areas, plus an overall view of the Bay of Kotor and nearby.

Loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of visual samples at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

More on Kotor and nearby, check these postings:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 50,158 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

This high and wide view of Kotor shows the overall area, including the Bay of Kotor. It is one of the most indented parts of the Adriatic Sea. This bay is sometimes called the southern-most fjord in Europe. It is actually a submerged river canyon. Kotor has seen a significant increase in tourism, attracted by the Gulf’s natural beauty and the old town of Kotor that is a World Heritage Site.:

KotorHigherWiderOverview.jpg

Rent a car and drive south to Kotor. Stop at Parast(sp) and take the motor boat to the island. Then on to Kotor.

We rented from Sixt-at the Hilton Hotel just outside Pile gate. On another day we drove to Mostar. I would not do this again.

We willl be stopping in Kotor on a different day so we don't need to go there. I basically did the old town walls the first time. Looking to do something out of the city. Suggestions?

Appreciate the added information. Glad you will get to see and do Kotor. We took a "country" tour that took us to their old Royal Capital, plus the seaside walled city of Budva. For Dubrovnik, we did "panorama" tour with a local taxi that took us to the great over-view of Dubrovnik, near its cable car station, the key vista points, etc. As noted by iancal, there are some other nearby options. Below are some of my added visuals.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 50,158 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We started with a local cab driver who gave us a “panoramic tour”, including crossing this unique bridge near the main cruise ship docking area. He called this bridge their “Golden Gate” like in San Francisco. It is nine years old. You can see the Solstice docked to the right side and other newer housing around this bay NW of the historic walled city.:

4DubrBridgeSolsticeHarbor.jpg

Then we drove up and up through narrow twisting roads to the high point overlooking Dubrovnik and near the cable car high station. From this point, we could also see part of Bosnia and and Montenegro. The “super star” view was down below with this angle of the harbor and walled city. Beautiful!!!:

2DubrOverallHighViewOne.jpg

Here is the view of the Cable Car going down from the high point over Dubrovnik with areas and islands west of the city shown. This cable car has been re-built since the early 1990’s war years.:

4DubrCableCarWaterIslands.jpg

Perast is a few miles northwest of Kotor facing this scenic bay. Perast was at its peak in the 18th century under the Venetian Republic. It had four active shipyards and a fleet of one hundred ships. Many ornate baroque palaces and magnificent dwellings decorated this town that is full of typical Venetian architecture.:

KotorNearbyTownBldgs.jpg

As you sail in and out of Kotor, you see these two island with church built on them. Near Perast there are two small islands: one is called St. George island, and the other called Gospa od Škrpjela (Our Lady of the Rock), and each has a picturesque chapel. Gospa od Škrpjela is particularly interesting given that it is the only artificially built island in the Adriatic These are not natural island, but built up there over the years. Spectacular sighting.:

2KotorTwoIslandSailIn.jpg

We have hired a guide and need to decide where to ask him to take us for the day. What are the must sees? Thanks

I am curious as to when you expect to be in Dubrovnik, this year or next summer? Your arrival will dictate how much time you have in the old town and how many sites you can visit.

Do not miss the cable car ride to the top of the mountain for a fabulous view of town. Also there is the Rectors Palace, Franciscan Monestary (with the second oldest pharmacy in Europe), Rupe Museum (do not miss this site) and our Synagogue, Saint Blaise Church, and my personal favorite the Dominican Monestary and their musuem.Also if you arrive earily enough, visit the farmers market in Gundilic square. There is also the Maritime Museum...More than enough for a limited time in the old town.

Dubrovniktravellady, I really want to go out of the city. What do you suggest?

It depends on what time of the year you expect to be here and how much time in port. The season will begin again about mid to late April, now we are pretty much in winter hibernation. Many shops and restaurants are closed and the sites are only open from 10am until 3pm - sunsets about 4:30pm.

During the season you can take the drive southward down to the Konavle valley, some winiers in the area. Spend some time in Cavtat, lunch perhaps at one of the restaurants specializing in meat cooked under the iron lid.

If there is enough time you can take the drive to the Peljesac peninsula and this is the area which does produce some major wine, our Mali Plavac (small blue) grapes.

How much time in Dubrovnik and when???

We are only in Dubrovnik from 7-4 and we are there the end of May. What is the average temps then? Thanks

Average temperatures should be about 20 to 22C, with warm sunny days. Since your time is limited, you should only consider driving down to the Konavle area with a stop in Cavtat. Anything further is not recommended since return to ship will be early.

These suggestions should have been covered by your guide, are you sure he is a licensed guide and not just a taxi driver?

• 3 weeks later...

We made a second trip to Dubrovnik and were wondering the same thing. We spoke to the harpist on our cruise ship and she suggested we take a 10-minute ferry ride from the marina next to the old town and go across to Lokrum...it's the island you can see from the wall. It was so beautiful and peaceful. There are trails to walk (we purchased a guide/map for 1E) and an old convent/church. There were beautiful coves where the locals were swimming and sunbathing. There's a small restaurant as you get off the ferry and another one by the convent. The ferry ran quite frequently and you can pre-purchase your tickets for a set sailing. We had walked the wall on our previous visit so we did a quick second tour around the wall in the morning, went and purchased tickets for around noon, then went back to the old town to get takeaway sandwiches and sat in the marina waiting for our ferry. We spent about 3 hours wandering the island.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

Anyone have any idea what kind of weather we can expect in Oct.

Thank you.

This past year was the longest hottest summer on record for the past 30 years. October was still very hot, but normally is our Indian Summer. The year prior cold fall weather began on 01 September. There is no norm these days, but if you're lucky we will be having our lovely Indian Summer.

Enjoy your visit to Dubrovnik.

In August 2012, I am going to make my third port call on Dubrovnik from

12 noon to 10pm. I think there will be many other ships that day. I don't do well when it's very hot, what do you suggest I do? Are there boat rides to the islands from Gruz harbor in the afternoon or only from Dubrovnik to Lokrum? The first time I did an extensive tour of the old city and went into the monasterys and museums. The second time I went to Cavtat and the countryside.

In August 2012, I am going to make my third port call on Dubrovnik from

12 noon to 10pm. I think there will be many other ships that day. I don't do well when it's very hot, what do you suggest I do? Are there boat rides to the islands from Gruz harbor in the afternoon or only from Dubrovnik to Lokrum? The first time I did an extensive tour of the old city and went into the monasterys and museums. The second time I went to Cavtat and the countryside.

You may want to research a short trip to Ston and Mali Ston. Or perhaps a wine tour to the Peljesac area for wine tasting. You can sample our Mali Plavac wines.

There are boats for hire to take you to the Elefiti Islands, best choices are from the old harbor. Most of the boats will do a 3 island tour and it's a lovely way to spend the day.

Enjoy your time here.

Archived