Inside Room question

coffee39

DH, sister and I are planning a 14 day cruise from Seattle to Alaska. Would we be too crowded in an inside room? We have never sailed HAL before so we have no idea what the state rooms are like. We went on a Princess cruisetour in 2008 and had a mini suite however, we were not in the room enough to make use of it as there was so much to see and do. We would go to the room to shower and sleep otherwise we were on the go.

Do you think 14 days inside room with 3 adults would be too tight space?

An outside wouldn't be any larger than the typical inside, some are even smaller. I would suggest looking for a mid-ship inside, described as 'large'. The 'standard' (smaller) and 'spa' (tiny) inside cabins should be avoided at all costs IMO. I don't think any of them are triples anyway.

What ship?

The older ships have a couch in thier Inside room that can be made up into a bed, but then it will be a bed the whole trip. We had a porthole room on Volendam that had a pullman bed that droped down from the ceiling, and with the other beds as twins that was very good and left the couch to be used as a couch. But the pullman doesn't work well with the bed made up as a twin. You can see a picture of our room on Joanie's photos of cabin, see the sticky note at the top of the HAL board.

The Inside rooms on Vista that I have been in do not have a couch so I'm not sure what they provide for a third bed, if any. There are pictues from HAL of a "banco" corner couch but I have not seen them. Maybe they have a pullman bed in some rooms. m--

If your ship is in either of these categories, you could choose the large, square J cabins on Main Deck and have plenty of space. Some of them have a bunk bed that pulls down over the "head" of 2 regular beds . . . you can have the cabin steward make up the lower beds "upside down" so the bunk is over the "feet" of those sleeping in the beds. These cabins give you more space to move around; they don't have the narrow passageway with closets and bathroom all together.

On the Veendam, my friend shared an outside stateroom with her parents. She slept on the sofabed, that the stewards made back into a sofa each day and then readied for bed by evening. It worked great for them and I'm sure will for you, as well. As stated above, make sure you get the "large" inside.

ninkb and RMLincoln - The OP is doing the 14-day Alaskan cruise. That is the Amsterdam, neither a Vista nor Signature class ship. In order not to confuse the issue in my earlier response, I decided not to mention cabins that weren't applicable to the ship on which they are sailing. The steward should convert the sofa to a bed nightly. Not an issue.

We've always sailed in inside (windowless) rooms, and haven't had a problem, although we have not been on a ship longer than 8 days. There are 3 of us also.

What we try to do is think of the room as just a place to sleep and shower. If you are okay with that, and don't expect to be living in it 24/7, you should be fine. However, if we were all independently wealthy, having a window would be great. My DH often refers to our rooms as either "the cave" or "the closet". HAL does not have clocks inside the rooms, so I would suggest bringing one. Also, we like to find a nice area of the ship to stretch out in, like a living room. We especially like the Explorations Cafe, which our son calls the library. On the HAL ships we've been on, they are full of light, with windows and chairs and comfy sofas everywhere.

I don't know if this was helpful or not. We just can't see putting out the expense for having a window, when we could put the money towards an excursion, or save for the next cruise.... But I still get the "cave" grumble from DH from time to time. LOL good luck!

Victoria

ninkb and RMLincoln - The OP is doing the 14-day Alaskan cruise. That is the Amsterdam, neither a Vista nor Signature class ship. In order not to confuse the issue in my earlier response, I decided not to mention cabins that weren't applicable to the ship on which they are sailing. The steward should convert the sofa to a bed nightly. Not an issue.

Sorry, I missed that it would be Amsterdam. Plus I see I made another error... that it is hard to access the Pullman bed if the lower beds are a queen. If one can get the steward to make the couch into a a bed every night that would be much better.

3 would very much be a hassel... just consider the bathroom and storage space your looking at 165 to 180 sq ft.... thats snug for 2 cramped for 3...

I have spent up to 30 days in and inside... but with 2. and it was a 258 ft inside.... The Amsterdam ain't got them

My 2 cents, tell #3 yo find their own room.... it will be fun for the first few days then each day will become more and more of a problem till you dread each coming day.

One tip I can suggest for three adults sharing the cabin is to take advantage of the spa showers.

On one of my first cruises, I shared the cabins with more than one person. Two of us would use the spa showers each day.

You have lockers, a large shower and plenty of towels. This was a big help with three women!

I hope this helps!

I can speak from experience on the 14 day AK cruise, three of us did an oceanview cabin on the Main deck (E2707 near the aft) on the Amsterdam just this past August 5th sailing. It was just fine and we loved our cabin. We had no issues whatsoever. My neice and I each slept in the single beds, and neice's boyfriend slept on the sofabed. We just told the stewards to just leave it made up as a bed for the duration of the cruise and it was fine.

We took advantage of the Unlimited Laundry package ($99 for the 14 days per cabin, NOT per person) so we each only packed one week's worth of clothing. We had a routine each morning - since I'm an early riser, I had my clothes for the day handy in "my" closet, brushed my teeth and washed my face and got dressed in the bathroom then slipped out the door up to the Lido for my AM coffee and chocolate croissant. Next up was my niece, an hour or so later, she did the same and joined me at the Seaview Bar, then her boyfriend would get up a few minutes later and we'd all breakfast together in the Lido. Afterwards, we'd take turns in the shower and we were good to go. Perfect.

We're all three campers from way back - tent camping, pop-up camper, and motorhome, plus DH and I have a tiny cabin in NY state - so we're all used to compromise, packing light, and rolling with the punches. We even said that we should have saved some more $$$ by booking an inside cabin for the amount of time we spent in the cabin. Literally, only to sleep and shower. The rest of the time was spent on deck, on shore with active and adventurous excursions, and by the time dinner was over, we were ready to hit the hay.

You will do great in an inside cabin, don't let the naysayers scare you away! I'd agree w/the advice to look for those larger, square shaped insides on the Main Deck to take advantage of the extra floor sprace. We did pass one with the door open and all of us commented that it would be an ideal size for three people.

Enjoy the beautiful scenery, magnificent wildlife and fantastic itinerary this cruise will offer you. Its ALL about Alaska. Save those bucks for extra excurions which are quite pricey in the Great Land....but worth every penny! Go and please have a wonderful time!

I've done inside triple with 3 adults for 10 days, and we would have been delighted to stay for an extra 4. Those sofa beds are very comfortable. No hardship for person 3 at all, even if somewhat large or tall. (Guess where I slept?)

I'm very fond of the category K's on main deck for 3 people. I know the L's are also an alternative, but if the price difference isn't much, go K. Less motion, better location, no aft engine vibration.

I'm not wild about "upgrade" possibilities from K inside on Amsterdam to any of the outsides. I would NEVER book an aft FF outside on Dolphin deck. Ditto the forward H's on Dolphin/G's on Main.

I would even check the "no upgrade" box to avoid the risk of getting one of these cabins. YMMV.

I've done inside triple with 3 adults for 10 days, and we would have been delighted to stay for an extra 4. Those sofa beds are very comfortable. No hardship for person 3 at all, even if somewhat large or tall. (Guess where I slept?)

I'm very fond of the category K's on main deck for 3 people. I know the L's are also an alternative, but if the price difference isn't much, go K. Less motion, better location, no aft engine vibration.

I'm not wild about "upgrade" possibilities from K inside on Amsterdam to any of the outsides. I would NEVER book an aft FF outside on Dolphin deck. Ditto the forward H's on Dolphin/G's on Main.

I would even check the "no upgrade" box to avoid the risk of getting one of these cabins. YMMV.

Oh no........We've just been "upgraded" on the Rotterdam, Dolphin deck, to an AFT FF! Cabin FF1941 to be exact. I don't mind some white noise, but not sure about your mention of engine vibration. Should I ask to be switched, to possibly a forward FF if available? ACK!!!!!

Victoria :-)

Victoria, not everyone here shares my intense feelings about the aft FF's. But, I'd ask to move - what's the harm?

There tends to be a thrum in these cabins. Not a noise, an actual vibration/tiny motion.

And, wind/wave conditions on your cruise could minimize or eliminate this. The less stress on the engines, the less vibration.

Truth in advertising: I've never spent a whole cruise in one of these cabins. A travelling companion did. Whenever I was in her cabin (ie., frequently - it was the rally station for our group) the vibration made me bug nuts. Didn't bother her nearly as much.

Victoria, not everyone here shares my intense feelings about the aft FF's. But, I'd ask to move - what's the harm?

There tends to be a thrum in these cabins. Not a noise, an actual vibration/tiny motion.

And, wind/wave conditions on your cruise could minimize or eliminate this. The less stress on the engines, the less vibration.

Truth in advertising: I've never spent a whole cruise in one of these cabins. A travelling companion did. Whenever I was in her cabin (ie., frequently - it was the rally station for our group) the vibration made me bug nuts. Didn't bother her nearly as much.

Thanks-I'll give them a call and see if there's anything forward, and if not, ask us to be put back to my original, inside, no window, choice. Since this will be 14 days, better to be safe than sorry. I turn into "Super Cranky Mommy" when I am sleep deprived, and that would not be good for family harmony in a small space. LOL :-)

Archived