Knee Replacement 4 Months Before Cruise.

EAISE

Just learned that both my wife and my daughter are going to need a knee replacement in January. We are scheduled for a June 9th cruise.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about the ability of such patients to handle the usual motion of the ship?

They will both have a 4 1/2 months to recover and rehab. My wife is 67. I am very concerned about whether we can make this 50th anniversary trip.

Thanks for any feedback you can give.

Ken :confused:

Back in 2009, I book two cruises B2B on Carnival Splendor when the swine flu scare hit and prices dropped. On my first cruise, one of my tablemates (in her 70's) had had one knee replaced in March, the second in April. It was now mid May. She had been doing rehab in a nursing home and was becoming very depressed. She begged the doctor to let her go home. He told her she could go only if she had someone to make her bed, cook her meals, and room to get some exercise. She told him she knew exactly where she could get that, and booked four cruises in a row. When she got off Splendor, she got on Mariner of the Seas, and after that it was Elation. Not sure who #4 was to be. She used a cane - lots of opportunity to walk to and from cabin.

It should not be a problem, but every recovery is different. EM

First please remember that each person heals differently and part of the difference is what kind of physical shape they are to begin with and none of us know that.

If this was me I would not be asking this question on Cruise Critic. Rather I would have a conversation with the doctor who will be performing the surgery.

Keith

I had a partial knee replacement last April, and am an orthopedic nurse as well. Barring any complications such as infection, 4 months should be sufficient time to recover and be cruise-ready. I only used crutches for the first week or two (and toward the end, just used one for security). Within 6 weeks, I was back working 12-hour shifts without any difficulty. You can expect a little longer recovery after a total knee, but still well under the 4 month timeframe that you have. Most of our TKR patients only have/need 6 weeks of physical therapy, max. Once the swelling subsides, the range of motion returns, whch is the greatest barrier to PT and normal activity. Swimming/water activities shouldn't be a problem either since the incision will be closed and healed by then. Just make sure they keep a good sunblock on the incision area, because it will burn like baby skin :). Also, if you have a long flight or drive, make sure they get up and walk around the plane (or stop the car and let them walk), and do ankle pumps to prevent DVT.

Again, barring any complications, they should both be in, umm, ship-shape, to go on a cruise. The good news is that they'll be far more comfortable walking around the ship and excursions than before surgery -- so I definitely wouldn't hold off for after the cruise. Happy anniversary and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Ken...

Agree with Kardut 100%! In '09 (age 71), I had a total knee replacement of the right knee! 3 day hospital stay where physical therapy began almost immediately! My bedroom at home is on the second floor, got home and simply climbed the stairs. (PT had prepared me for stair climbing at the hospital). With in two weeks I no longer needed the crutchs and when we went on our ten day Mexicao cruise 4 months later I had not problems what so ever! Could even go up and down the stairs! :)

I did do lots of strength exercises prior to the surgery and suggest your wife and daughter do the same...start now!!

Art

First please remember that each person heals differently and part of the difference is what kind of physical shape they are to begin with and none of us know that.

If this was me I would not be asking this question on Cruise Critic. Rather I would have a conversation with the doctor who will be performing the surgery.

Keith

This is very prudent advise. Please consult with your wife and daughter's doctors. Everyone on here will have an individual opinion but if you trust their doctor's enough to perform surgery on them, I'm sure you will trust them to give good advise on your question.

If your wife and daughter follow their therapy programs they should have no problem. I've had both knees replaced and can honestly tell you that I returned to playing golf within four months of the surgery. My right knee was replaced when I was 63 and I faithfully followed the rehab program. I had minor pain after playing golf the first couple of times (surgery in November and golf in February. A couple of Advil tablets and I was fine. Golf can be a four hour walk-a-thon so it's comparable to some of the excursions you will experience on your cruise. Go and enjoy.

My sympathies to both your wife and daughter.....knee surgery rehab is tough.

I had both knees replaced, at the same time, and went on a cruise 4 months later. I have to admit that for the first month or two, I had my doubts that we'd make the cruise but right around the end of month two I noticed, with extensive PT, that my mobility was increasing and I had much less pain. My goal was to walk across that floating bridge in Curaco,which I love, and I was able to do just that when we visited there on our cruise.

Having that bilateral knee replacement 4 years ago was the best thing I could have done. Yes it was rough initially but now I have my life back and am pain free. I wish your wife and daughter the best of luck.

Back in 2009, I book two cruises B2B on Carnival Splendor when the swine flu scare hit and prices dropped. On my first cruise, one of my tablemates (in her 70's) had had one knee replaced in March, the second in April. It was now mid May. She had been doing rehab in a nursing home and was becoming very depressed. She begged the doctor to let her go home. He told her she could go only if she had someone to make her bed, cook her meals, and room to get some exercise. She told him she knew exactly where she could get that, and booked four cruises in a row. When she got off Splendor, she got on Mariner of the Seas, and after that it was Elation. Not sure who #4 was to be. She used a cane - lots of opportunity to walk to and from cabin.

It should not be a problem, but every recovery is different. EM

Thanks for this story. It got me to laughing, which I don't do enough of.

I had a partial knee replacement last April, and am an orthopedic nurse as well. Barring any complications such as infection, 4 months should be sufficient time to recover and be cruise-ready. I only used crutches for the first week or two (and toward the end, just used one for security). Within 6 weeks, I was back working 12-hour shifts without any difficulty. You can expect a little longer recovery after a total knee, but still well under the 4 month timeframe that you have. Most of our TKR patients only have/need 6 weeks of physical therapy, max. Once the swelling subsides, the range of motion returns, whch is the greatest barrier to PT and normal activity. Swimming/water activities shouldn't be a problem either since the incision will be closed and healed by then. Just make sure they keep a good sunblock on the incision area, because it will burn like baby skin :). Also, if you have a long flight or drive, make sure they get up and walk around the plane (or stop the car and let them walk), and do ankle pumps to prevent DVT.

Again, barring any complications, they should both be in, umm, ship-shape, to go on a cruise. The good news is that they'll be far more comfortable walking around the ship and excursions than before surgery -- so I definitely wouldn't hold off for after the cruise. Happy anniversary and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Thanks for a very helpful post. Very thorough and exactly what I wanted to know. A lot of people think we should ask her doctor but her doctor has never been on a cruise and doesn't know what unique challenges those ship motions put on a knee. Thanks again. Ken

Ken...

Agree with Kardut 100%! In '09 (age 71), I had a total knee replacement of the right knee! 3 day hospital stay where physical therapy began almost immediately! My bedroom at home is on the second floor, got home and simply climbed the stairs. (PT had prepared me for stair climbing at the hospital). With in two weeks I no longer needed the crutchs and when we went on our ten day Mexicao cruise 4 months later I had not problems what so ever! Could even go up and down the stairs! :)

I did do lots of strength exercises prior to the surgery and suggest your wife and daughter do the same...start now!!

Art

Sounds like you really had your act together long before the surgery. Great story and great recovery. Nice picture too! Thanks for the reply. Ken

My wife has multiple sclerosis and uses a wheelchair, but she can walk for short distances with a walker. Cruises are excellent for her. So, I say "go".

Thanks for the advice. It shows if you have the right attitude, you can enjoy most of life's pleasures. Thanks to all who provided feedback. I'm going to consider this question closed.

Ken

Archived